1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long travel vs Suspension lift

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by bulldogs123, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Jul 16, 2009 at 3:36 PM
    imsikotic

imsikotic If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DesertRunner
    4" Camburg Race Spindles and Icon 2.5" ext travel Coilovers in the front for about 5"of lift and for the rear All-Pro 3" leaf pack and Fox 2.0 Resi's converted to piggyback and custom valved by DownSouth Motorsports. 17x9" KMC XD Addicts w/ 4.5 inch Backspacing and -12 Offset. Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17. K&N CAI, Exhaust, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Custom Bed bar with ProComp fog lights,DirtKing Fabrication front bumper w/ 3 HID converted Hellas, Demello rear PreRunner bumper, Tinted windows, Full System w/ 2 10s, Garmin 265WT, ClearHLM. Theres more I just cant think of it right now.
    DMZ does some awesome shit!!! Tim is cool as hell. He's got a white DCLB w/ the Total Chaos LT. It is fukn awesome. That is who Im gonna have build my Truck. Their work is spectacular.

2. Jul 16, 2009 at 10:51 PM
    bulldogs123

bulldogs123 [OP] Member

Member:
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Doublecab TRD offroad package
    After looking at the lt kits i came across the all pro kit and I might go with it. As far as what type of wheeling i do, since I live in Alabama there isn't any deserts, but there are plenty of trails in the woods and plenty of steep hills and open fields which get bogged out when it rains. Being in the army I may get stationed somewhere near a desert in the states so really I need something that is going to be good all around. There are some dips and trenches on some of the trails and hills, but no rock crawling will done. I was thinking about the arb deluxe brush bar bumper along with the Lt kit any opinons on the arb? What size tires should be ran with the all pro and does the all pro kit include the rear suspension? I went on their site and it seemed you had to buy them seperate. What would I need to purchase to make my truck a wheeling monster with the all pro set up?

3. Jul 16, 2009 at 11:53 PM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    No I'm not kidding. I know the haters out there won't agree. but it's all in the numbers.
    A so called mid travel 3" lift will have tire spin much quicker because it rides at a more extended position. You're right Both the DB and the 3" lift have exactly the same range of articulation.

But the 3" lift will resist keeping it's tires on the ground, because of the lift.

The DB will gain more ground clearance front to rear. NOT tire to tire (left to right)

This will allow you better clearance and avoid high center. The increase in COG can be negated by the use of wider tires and rims. It all depends on the set up.:thumbsup:

It's so funny that people will claim that higher COG is the biggest sin in offroading.:rolleyes:
    Yet praise Wyatt as the ultimate truck! (Which it is!:headbang:)
    I know his truck is a SAC! (Not the same) But we are talking about COG.

So I'm not trying to offend any 3" lift owners. (Hell; I had a 3" lift on my truck) That's how I know.
    I've done my homework and I don't go on "hear say"

Peace!

4. Jul 17, 2009 at 6:21 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    for once...i'd have to disagree with you about the DB...obviously you havnt seen how bad a DB performs on the trail. i went longer and further with less hang-ups on my stock setup...i have pics to show...lots of them haha

5. Jul 17, 2009 at 7:04 AM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    might be a dumb post,might not. just my .02.
    doesn't a DB lift retain stock specs.. ride, wheel travel, and atriculation? along with losing a little front end clearance because of the drop bracket? a mid travel 3" lift (CO's and uca's) ends up being somewhere along the lines of 10" of wheel travel and better wheel articulation over the stock setup?
    just curious...

6. Jul 17, 2009 at 7:28 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Scaffolding and a painted grill
    When I ran with those guys, that blue truck outperformed the full-race truck that was in our group. It's no illusion -- it really performs that well.

7. Jul 17, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    DB lift keeps stock articulation

Mid-Travel increases articulation (I am talking of a C/O and UCA), not very far from a LT actually when you have extended travel C/Os..

8. Jul 17, 2009 at 10:31 AM
    BeachBoy

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    You are right. Maybe he was comparing his DB with a block lift?? A mid-travel setup does have more articulation than stock.

9. Jul 17, 2009 at 10:34 AM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows
    Actually a LT kit does have way more travel than extended travel.

10. Jul 17, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    Ah O.K. I see what you are looking at. The range of the C/O's.

But the range I am talking about. (Which is the limiting factor) Is the range of articulation of the LCA. No matter if you change the C/O's or the UCA's the stock LCA remains the same. Therefore it ability to articulate is exactly the same.

Because the 3" lift simply lifts it's ride height. Imagine if you were to go hiking while on your "tippy toe" your feet won't be at it's most efficient.
    Because you would be at the edge of it's limit of down travel.
    I understand that you still have the range of articulation. (But just as uptravel) So your wheels will be more prone to loosing traction.

Any truck designer know the importance of having both equally, Up travel, and down travel.

It's not that the C/O's don't have the down travel. It's that the LCA's no longer have the down travel in relation to the static position. (This is the suspension at rest)

I hope that clears it up.

As for how personal experience in performance with 3" lifts or DB's? That has more to do with the drivers skill.
    Unfortunately most people who do the DB lift do it for looks. their main objective isn't offroading.
    They may lack the driving skills to make it perform well. The DB lift will perform exactly the same as the stock suspension, just with higher ground clearance, and bigger tires. So if the driving skill level was the same the DB should go further.

11. Jul 17, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    Mandy3206

Mandy3206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:
    Sand Pearl Black 06 6spd DC SB TRD OR Moded
    I'll be doing around xmas the Allpro LT to fit my stashed away 33's on steelies , then some trimming of the body mounts and sheet metal and be done with it.

I was planning on chopping it earlier, but will wait for the LT and do it once.

DSC05598_02c61725b3a0fe4b73cb713f78a60094126ae10c.jpg

12. Jul 17, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    PrezidentRedz

PrezidentRedz Uncivilized Creations Prez

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Xtra Cab, Locked and Lifted.
    Custom Everything! WHAT º¿º
    LT is great, but it depends on where you live, the type of wheeling you want to do. and also LT will sit lower than my truck with a 3" OME setup, but has much more Down Travel then what I have.

13. Jul 17, 2009 at 12:07 PM
    Mandy3206

Mandy3206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:
    Sand Pearl Black 06 6spd DC SB TRD OR Moded

If I recall correctly, Sarah reported 4"-5" with the LT alone, that's more than any 3" lift out there.

14. Jul 17, 2009 at 12:19 PM
    PrezidentRedz

PrezidentRedz Uncivilized Creations Prez

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Xtra Cab, Locked and Lifted.
    Custom Everything! WHAT º¿º
    Im just saying from what I knw, Lift isnt everything the higher you go the less down travel you have, a guy I ride with has the TC LT kit full long in the rear too(Cut the bed open for the Link and Longer coils) He has the same Ground clearnce I do. which is about 10" from the Front Skid to the ground.

15. Jul 17, 2009 at 4:27 PM
    BeachBoy

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    I don'T know who got 4-5"

freeze runs it and he has barely 2.5in. he had more like 3 originally but dialed it down.

16. Jul 17, 2009 at 7:05 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    my final numbers for my kit measured at 5 inches taller, measurements were taking at All-Pro..but that's included with the 315/75's....my stock setup i had front bilstein 5100's (sagged stock springs plus bumper/winch), rear had TSB leafs and stock shocks on 265/75's

17. Oct 5, 2009 at 8:15 PM
    bermise

bermise Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD off road
    Total chaos spindles, Total chaos heim joint uca's, Icon E/T coilovers, Icon reservoir shocks, custom Deaver 10 leaf pack, 285/70/17 Cooper STT

Wow, only 2.5"? That doesen't seem right.

18. Feb 2, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    Unknown

Unknown He who angers you conquers you

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Unknown
    Unknown
    Long travel kits suck...
    <<<<< jealous