DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Long Travel 4x4's?

Old 01-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Long Travel 4x4's?

This is mainly concerning the kits other than the All Pro kits. The serious LT kits. With having the extended axles, doesnt it make the axles a lot weaker? Does it affect the 4wd capabilities?
Old 01-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
My question is, why do they need longer axles in the first place?
Old 01-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
My question is, why do they need longer axles in the first place?
b/c the LT kits push the wheels and spindles further out from the truck, so u need longer axles to reach them
Old 01-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
My R6 Eats Me
AlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
AlexForbesR6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfly199 View Post
This is mainly concerning the kits other than the All Pro kits. The serious LT kits. With having the extended axles, doesnt it make the axles a lot weaker? Does it affect the 4wd capabilities?

the steel (or differnet metal...i can't remember what type they use) is a LOT stronger than the stock axle metal is so i cant see them being weaker
Old 01-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
^^i think most are chromoly or whatever....stronger than stock
Old 01-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Ok, I can understand that. Thanks for the input
Old 01-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
b/c the LT kits push the wheels and spindles further out from the truck, so u need longer axles to reach them
While that makes sense, my un-stated question was: Why do you need the wider wheelbase in the first place?

Sorry I wasn't clear - mind-reading isn't a requirement.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
Long travel allows more wheel travel, and allows you to haul ass through the desert
Old 01-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #9
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
While that makes sense, my un-stated question was: Why do you need the wider wheelbase in the first place?

Sorry I wasn't clear - mind-reading isn't a requirement.
It comes down to geometry. Put your arm out horizontally and move your finger up and down you can move it like 2 inches before things would bind. Now move your arm up and down at you're elbow. You would be able to move it like a foot before things would bind theoretically speaking if it were a control arm.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #10
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
^ great way to explain it!
Old 01-18-2010, 02:57 AM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
It comes down to geometry. Put your arm out horizontally and move your finger up and down you can move it like 2 inches before things would bind. Now move your arm up and down at you're elbow. You would be able to move it like a foot before things would bind theoretically speaking if it were a control arm.

I hope this makes sense.
Yeah, that makes sense.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #12
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Somewhat related to this thread, I found a post from a guy who documented (with pics) how to replace a broken front axle on his FJ. He made some good comments about the CV joint being the weakest link in the axle.
Quote:
The most vulnerable part of the drive mechanics in an IFS 4x4 is the front CV axle. This has been true through several generations of IFS 4x4's. This part, specifically the CV joint, is the most common major mechanical failure that I know of when people push their IFS rigs, rock crawling on challenging trails...

Several popular upgrades contribute to putting this part at risk. The most common is large tires. Larger tires put a proportionally larger torsional load on the axle. Another is gearing modifications. Lower gears, increasing "crawl ratio", also increase the torque multiplication by the same amount. Finally, suspension modifications which facilitate the creation of situations where the CV joint is maximally articulated (to the extreme of it's capacity for misalignment) also facilitate putting this joint into it's weakest orientation, relative to torsional loading.

If you put on big tires and big gears, and you turn the steering wheel to full lock, and you gas it against an obstacle, you'll snap the CV joint.
--BellyDoc (Jon) from fjcruiserforums
Old 01-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #13
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
Resident Gun-toting Hippie
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Burt's Mustache
luni's Tacoma Gallery
To bring that article into the topic, by increasing the length of the control arms and effectively using bump stops and limiting straps you keep the driveline angles well within their functional capacity with the same or more wheel travel.

Yes, you could run LT without limiting straps or bump stops for super travel but you'd also be increasing torsion at the fulcrum and the CV axle would have to do more work (force over distance) at the same driveline angles as stock. Then you'd be back to grenading CVs like it's going out of style. You'd be worse off with a long travel set-up allowed to run to the extremes of articulation.