DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Which Long Travel Suspension is better and WHY?

View Poll Results: Which L/T is Better?
All Pro Offroad 11 16.18%
Total Chaos 32 47.06%
Other 25 36.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough

Navy: EN1
Name: Tanner
06yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Which Long Travel Suspension is better and WHY?

Total Chaos Vs. All Pro Offroad or Other

They both sound great and have similar parts. If you look on youtube you see some better videos of Total Chaos really beating there truck up. I was just wondering if somebody actually has each of the lifts and there experiences with them.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
j1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
search search search
Old 04-11-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
Swab
LBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant future

Name: Winter
LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Camburg!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
GETTN IT
th3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
th3bigk0's Tacoma Gallery
i have TC on my 1st gen.love it and no problems yet.TC really seems to have toyotas down to a science.good luck!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #5
get your facts straight
SafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to beholdSafetyDang is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dang
SafetyDang's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SafetyDang
Engage
Old 04-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
fabtech!!!
Old 04-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
fabtech!!!
I just ordered this one
Old 04-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3bigk0 View Post
i have TC on my 1st gen.love it and no problems yet.TC really seems to have toyotas down to a science.good luck!
dude, where in so cal are you? we gotta go hit up some dirt
Old 04-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfly199 View Post
I just ordered this one
fabtech kit? what happened to your LT plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsikotic View Post
Step away from the Crack Rock!!!!!
Old 04-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
well In my own words I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
As with all modifications, the "best" option is dependent on how you'll use your truck, the region of the country you're in, your budget, relationships with vendors, personal technical expertise, etc. What's below is generally specific to the 05+ 6-lug Tacomas.

Generalities:
- Any long travel that works with 4wd will work with 2wd, but the inverse is not always the case
- Your coilovers will need to be replaced. Most LT kits are designed to work with 8" travel shocks.
- You'll want to reinforce your stock spindles on 4wd rigs. 2wd are well served upgrading to aftermarket spindles
- Self-installation of longer front 4wd axles in the stock CVs is possible but a major PITA. Save yourself the time and hassle and drop a couple of bucks to have a shop do it.
- All rigs should have their alignment cam tabs reinforced. You'll flatten them after 1 decent trip offroad
- Consider reinforcing your lower control arm frame mounts if you're gonna bash hard
- Pre-07 trucks must reinforce the engine mounts. All trucks should
- Don't bother getting a differential drop on an 05+ Tacoma (LT or mid-travel)
- Going front long-travel will get you pushing your truck. Expect the rear end to bounce up and come around on you if you don't be careful and/or upgrade it to something equally supple.
- Your already-upgraded upper control arms on your mid-travel setup will not work with a long-travel kit. All kits come with required new UCAs.
- If you're running big tires you'll want to trim and reinforce your body mounts to avoid rubbing

Popular front long travel options:
All Pro Offroad's kit uses 2" extended tube-style upper and lower arms on each side. Travel around 12" or so.
Pros: Maintain 4x4 with extended front axles, does not require front fiberglass fenders, narrower track width for crawling and tight trails, comes with a heavy-duty steering upgrade
Cons: No way of mounting a secondary shock
http://www.allprooffroad.com/fjfront...n/fjlongtravel

Total Chaos's kit widens the truck 3.5" on each side and pulls 13" of usable wheel travel.
Pros: Maintain 4x4 with extended front axles, secondary shock mount with optional shock hoop, option for heim joint UCAs, proven and popular kit with many installation shop options
Cons: Requires fiberglass fenders
I'm not sure if anybody races the TC kit so I won't say definitively one way or the other.
http://www.chaosfab.com/86000.html

Camburg Engineering's kit also widens the truck 3.5" on each side and pulls 14" of wheel travel on 4wd and 15" of travel on 2wd rigs. Offers a full-race 2wd kit for pre-2005 Tacomas pulling 19" of travel.
Pros: Maintain 4x4 with extended front axles, secondary shock mount with optional shock hoop, use of 1.25" uniballs to increase travel without binding, heavy gusseting around all joints, race-proven (Team Shark Attack), travel numbers, allows use of air bumps on 2wd vehicles
http://www.camburg.com/tacomaP05.html
*Disclaimer: I run Camburg's kit and am a bit biased. I went with them after going a lot of research. The breakage I suffered was my own fault as I installed the lower uniball housing upside down. It's easy to do so feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Engage Offroad has a race-proven kit that's recent been adopted by a lot of late-model Tacoma owners. Their kit for previous generation Tacoma is highly respected.
Pros: Price, maintain 4x4 with extended front axles, options for race upgrades, secondary shock mount with optional shock hoop
http://www.framtidgames.com/main.html

Richer Racing's kit is for pre-2005 Tacomas, widens the truck by 5" on each side, is 2wd only, and pulls 18+" of wheel travel.
Pros: Big travel numbers, race proven, extremely strong design, allows for secondary shock and air bump
Cons: 2wd only, requires fiberglass fenders, wide track width, no 05+ kit yet
http://www.richerracing.com/Pages/Pr...otaTacoma.html

Popular rear long travel options:
While the front long travel kits are mostly bolt-on and can be done in a garage with basic hand tools, rear long travel requires extensive fabrication, cutting, grinding, welding, etc. All rear long travel kits will require use of fiberglass bedsides, alterations to the driveshaft, shocks, and custom shock hoops. Expect to run wheel spacers or a wider rear axle to clear big shocks outside the framerails.

DMZ Fabrication 62" complete spring-under conversion kit. Race-proven and designed specifically for the 05+ Tacoma.
http://dmzfab.com/products.html

Giant Motorsports 64" complete spring-under conversion kit. Race-proven and seen primarily on Ford Rangers.
http://giantmotorsports.com/index.ph...d=41&Itemid=51
*Disclaimer: The Giant kit is my personal choice due to the shackle design and travel numbers. I'm running it with 18" travel, 3" 4-tube bypass Fox shocks with excellent results.

Engage Offroad cantilever kit. Shocks are mounted horizontally and maintains full use of the bed.
http://www.framtidgames.com/main.html

All-Pro Baja Leafs. Requires custom hangers, shackles, fabrication, etc. These springs have recently been introduced at a strong price point and have been tested with excellent reviews.
http://www.allprooffroad.com/tech-in...u-63/bajaleafs

There are always more options but that should be enough to get the discussion started.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
fabtech kit? what happened to your LT plans?

I was just kidding, being sarcastic as I always am
Old 04-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #13

Quote:
I was just kidding, being sarcastic as I always am
good. you had me worried there for a minute
Old 04-11-2010, 04:46 PM   #14

ok, enough jackassery, time to be helpful

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...formation.html
Old 04-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #15
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
good. you had me worried there for a minute
WELL....... Possibly getting an FJ

Old 04-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #16

Quote:
WELL....... Possibly getting an FJ

oh snap! right on man. if you do get an FJ you have to make it look like this...

Old 04-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #17
GETTN IT
th3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
th3bigk0's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
dude, where in so cal are you? we gotta go hit up some dirt
haha i know we keep posting about our lt kits but never to each other.im in the san fernando valley.818.not far from ventura.i wanna hit up gorman soon forsure tho.maybe after my coilover re-build.or b4 dont matter.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #18
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
oh snap! right on man. if you do get an FJ you have to make it look like this...

I actually just posted a video of that thing in my build thread haha it is bad ass
Old 04-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #19
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
Engage ftw. Strapped at 16" in front and 20" in da back
Old 04-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamoon View Post
Engage ftw. Strapped at 16" in front and 20" in da back
stop bragging.