DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

TC Rear long travel hybrid. Possible?

View Poll Results: So, what do you think about this idea?
Yes, it is possible. 6 60.00%
Don't try. Just wiat for something to be produced. 1 10.00%
....crazy 3 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #21
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedTacoma View Post
any leafunder pack will sit high compared to ur front....i would get the LT in the front and go from there
Nope. The Giant kit sits right around stock height.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #22
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Nope. The Giant kit sits right around stock height.
wow, and their site says it call pull up to 21" travel. i just saw that they have a 62" SUA for 1st gen tacoma. hmmmmmm

mjp2, you wouldn't happen to know much about their first gen kit would you? size shocks to run, approx lift...

http://giantmotorsports.com/content/view/40/50/
Old 04-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #23
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
wow, and their site says it call pull up to 21" travel. i just saw that they have a 62" SUA for 1st gen tacoma. hmmmmmm

mjp2, you wouldn't happen to know much about their first gen kit would you? size shocks to run, approx lift...

http://giantmotorsports.com/content/view/40/50/
No first-hand experience with their 1st gen stuff but I know they race the shit out of everything they make. My rear setup has given me zero issues and rides like a dream. Geoff over at Giant is a great guy has always taken the time to answer any questions I had.

My rear setup is only pulling 18" of travel because of how I set up the mounts. I located the front mount, figured out where the rear would naturally be located based on the arch of the springs, and shifted that rear mount back 1.5" before welding. The end result is that my rear leaf packs are effectively preloaded even at full droop and the individual leafs never separate. It makes the travel more consistent and I don't have to run limit straps with it.

This kind of setup is only possible because the shackles are inverted.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #24
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No first-hand experience with their 1st gen stuff but I know they race the shit out of everything they make. My rear setup has given me zero issues and rides like a dream. Geoff over at Giant is a great guy has always taken the time to answer any questions I had.

My rear setup is only pulling 18" of travel because of how I set up the mounts. I located the front mount, figured out where the rear would naturally be located based on the arch of the springs, and shifted that rear mount back 1.5" before welding. The end result is that my rear leaf packs are effectively preloaded even at full droop and the individual leafs never separate. It makes the travel more consistent and I don't have to run limit straps with it.

This kind of setup is only possible because the shackles are inverted.
Mind posting pics of your bed and everything else?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #25

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #26
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedTacoma View Post
i would get the LT in the front and go from there
5 more months of saving and I'll have the front
Old 04-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #27

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
The front on my truck is cranked to clear the nasty rocks at Primm and Barstow.

The bedcage ties into the rollcage. I'm currently running wide spacers to clear the 3" 4-tube bypass shocks but those will be replaced when I swap rear axles for a custom width 9" rear. Shocks are 18" travel jobbies.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #28

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Killed another thread, huh?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #29
Victory is reserved...

^^Holy shit thats pretty much all out. Nice.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #30

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. I should have this year's fabrication done by the end of June if all goes smoothly. After that I'll be done for awhile except for the new rear axle, re-gearing the front, and standard break/fix.

Anyway, the rear sits around stock height and gets a crazy amount of travel. Very smooth and predictable and I'm happy with the setup.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #31
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
Quote:
Thanks. I should have this year's fabrication done by the end of June if all goes smoothly. After that I'll be done for awhile except for the new rear axle, re-gearing the front, and standard break/fix.

Anyway, the rear sits around stock height and gets a crazy amount of travel. Very smooth and predictable and I'm happy with the setup.
cant wait to see it nice truck and set up
Old 04-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #32
06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
^^I dont wanna go with TC either
Any personal experience for you to say that or is that just "what I heard from some guy?" They arent necessarily the absolute best but they are one of the most reputable suspension builders around for our trucks.

Quote:
Hmm DMZ's work looks pricey
It is but you get what you pay for. DMZ makes the bedcage in your truck look like it came from the Toyota factory.

There are a lot of hack jobs in this sport and they do charge a lot less.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #33
Victory is reserved...

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06HAOLE View Post
Any personal experience for you to say that or is that just "what I heard from some guy?" They arent necessarily the absolute best but they are one of the most reputable suspension builders around for our trucks.
First hand no.

My brother in law had the front end kit from TC for his 2nd gen, it looked friggin sweet and he even let me thrash it a bit. I liked it and considered it one of my top choices but he said that the alignment was hard to get right and it would always get knocked out of whack even in daily driving.

I know this might be found with other kits but that just gives me one more reason to not make them my top choice, and until I hear stories of engage having this problem then they will be my choice for now.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #34
06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
First hand no.

My brother in law had the front end kit from TC for his 2nd gen, it looked friggin sweet and he even let me thrash it a bit. I liked it and considered it one of my top choices but he said that the alignment was hard to get right and it would always get knocked out of whack even in daily driving.

I know this might be found with other kits but that just gives me one more reason to not make them my top choice, and until I hear stories of engage having this problem then they will be my choice for now.
Thats fair and I thank you for your reply. All LT kits take quite a bit of work to stay in top shape. Its even more of a pain for a DD but all part of the trade off to be able to perform so well. Back on topic.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #35
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #36
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06HAOLE View Post
Thats fair and I thank you for your reply. All LT kits take quite a bit of work to stay in top shape. Its even more of a pain for a DD but all part of the trade off to be able to perform so well. Back on topic.

agreed, the only problems i have had with mine is the alignment, going to weld that up and should be done with that.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #37
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thread hijack (temproarily!). Who makes that rear bumper? Sweet....
Old 04-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #38
custom by liberated racing
Old 04-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #39
Victory is reserved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamoon View Post
?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #40
Quote:
Quote:
?
He is a pic whore, nothing against you