1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help to find a front suspension setup with more lift and more flex (Long LCA)

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by Dick4x4, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Nov 23, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    Dick4x4

Dick4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 2.7 Auto
    Hi guys,

I'm posting here because I want to upgrade my front suspension set-up. I don't jump my truck or sand dune it (there is no such thing here). I do more backroad than offroad and never hardcore wheel. I'll buy a proper landcruiser the day it would become necessary. I therefore work quite often in rough forestery trails where flex and ground clearance is appreciated. 95% on my mileage is on road and the truck is my daily driver.

Knowing that, I don't want to do a SAS. I currently run a set of bilstein 5100 with OME 881 coil. I gaves my about 2.5" lift. It's ok but it's on the short side compared to the 5.5" lift I've tried to limit in the rear. The rear have custom leafs, shackels and 5125 bilstein 10" shocks. Rear flex great. I don't like how the front is currently reacts, it rides quite good but compared to the flexy rear, the front feels like it is not flexing at all in about every situations.

I would like to run tires that are in the 33" range. So I'm quite close to what I need.

I would like to upgrade to longer lower control arms and I'm open to replace my CV axle with T-100 or something else but I don't necessary want to widen the front by 7". I already have flare extension that should help with a proper set of wheels. I'm ok to stick with 7" wide wheels.

Also I know there is some great kits like camburg and total chaos but they are quite expensive and they are really more than I need. If I could stay under 1K$ for the upgrade it would be good for me. Besides I will be able to resell the front suspension that have less than 8k miles on it. If I could stay with OEM ball joint it would be good enough for me. I'm really looking more for a little more lift and better flexing travel than long travel. I don't want a bracket lift also.

Well I hope you guys will be able to help me with this!

Thanks!

How it is right now:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  2. Nov 23, 2013 at 9:17 PM
    troyboy162

troyboy162 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    troy
    I'm a noobie to this, but I'm about in the same boat as far as not looking for jumping or anything and just need more flex and performance out of the IFS. I ended up with MCMfab. There kit is about ~$1k less then TC or Camburg when its all ready to roll. On top of that the stuff they make is stronger/faster then I would ever need. If you want to go a little cheaper then that, there are literately guys making this stuff in there garage. Maybe the garage stuff is good enough, or maybe you die in a fireball on the freeway for saving 400 bucks lol.
    http://www.mcmfablv.com/96-04-Tacoma.html

And really if you want to retain 4x4 then widening by 7" is your only reasonable option. Anything more or less will mean exotic axles and stupid money to save a inch of track width that you will never notice. 4" of front lift is reasonable with LT since your CV's will be at a better angle.

P.S take out your front sway bar if you want more front flex.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  3. Nov 23, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    without going legit lt, or sas, your best bet is a 85 or older toyota pickup.

or a different rig all together.

4. Nov 24, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    Dick4x4

Member:
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 2.7 Auto
    If seems that wathever the option they are expensive. Impressive there is nothing to do with 1k$ on the front suspension.

Maybe a upper control arm and a set of good coil over and shock instead of the 5100/881 combo could be a better option.

I really love the look of 3-3.5" widenen track but I'm not sure it's a wise option for me.

Oh and yes, the more differential drop I can put it on.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  5. Nov 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock.
    diff drop after a point and you will loose clearance.

wider track puts more strain on control arm bracketry and coil buckets. unless you upgrade that which is recommended. But that gets pricy.

6. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:58 PM
    troyboy162

troyboy162 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    troy
    The find the diff drop is self defeating mostly. You lose more ground clearance under the oil pan then you will safely gain in lift. I ran one for a long time, then took it out. I dont break CV's any more often then before and I gained that full inch of ground clearance back. For road warriors it makes sense, but offroad its use is pretty worthless IMO since you wont have a CV long enough to reap the benefits the drop may give you.

mid travel is cheaper ~1k but that dosnt get you more lift or the longer arms you were hoping for.
    heres cheap mid travel with flex maxed out. Its a bit more travel then stock, but not anywhere near what LT can do. This 4runner has no front sway bar.
    flex_zps55b736ea_dfd172c48a5d45c5da3ce6b0f907f8b607a0e0fa.jpg

7. Nov 25, 2013 at 4:46 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bone Stock.
    The diff drop helps a little. And I do stress a little. It lines up the bottom of the diff (with shave), and mounting bolts on front to create a flat plane for a skid to be snugged up against

8. Nov 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM
    Dick4x4

Member:
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 2.7 Auto
    Theses are all good condiderations. Thanks friends for theses good advise. I'll maybe just stick with what I currently have and trash the sway bar. At least try to drive it on road without to see if it's acceptable.

I think the best bet would be to go all the way with a full kit or to stay where I'm right now.

9. Dec 4, 2013 at 12:46 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    You can't just get a longer LCA and not make it wider. Plus you can get a wider LCA with out a wider UCA and then longer shocks. Basically LT.

Your only option is getting some new standard width uniball UCAs and extended travel coilovers from fix, king, saw, or icon. That'll get you about 1" more down travel. And that's the best you can do with out full LT kit or sac.

Remove the sway bar always helps

10. Dec 4, 2013 at 12:51 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    To be honest you should either get a solid axle conversion or get a jeep! Or you can get a magical unicorn that has buttloads of ground clearance and atrac :D

11. Dec 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    Dick4x4

Member:
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 2.7 Auto

I saw that you have 3.5" lift front? Correct me if I'm wrong but you have 5100 also? I have OME 881 instead of eibach spring but no big deal, I still have two notches to increase the height.

Do you feel it's too harsh up front or if it's ok?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top