Louisiana Tacomas' Sicily Island Run

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Louisiana

Notices

Visiting New Orleans

Old 10-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
dpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant future
dpak's Tacoma Gallery
Visiting New Orleans

I plan on taking a trip down to New Orleans with my girl in January and wanted to check in with yall for some advice. We'll be flying down there, so I won't have a car. Is the French Quarter the most popular place to stay and visit? Do I need a rental car or is everything within walking distance in the French Quarter? Is there any other area to stay at other than the French Quarter? To be honest, that's only area I know of in New Orleans.

I have no idea where to stay and what to do in New Orleans. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
I was down there last january...spent the majority of my time in the quarter...because i was there to drink and eat

I did venture out to the aquarium and zoo which was pretty neat but nothing extraordinarily special
Old 10-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Most of the hotels have a shuttle from the airport to the quarter. If you stay down there you'll spend a few more bucks, but everything will be closer.

Mothers diner for breakfast, Port of Call (or Yo Mommas) for Burgers, Cafe Du Monde fresh beignets, some kinda seafood po'boy. There are some more pricier restaurants that are well worth it (Copelands, GW Fins, Dickie Brennans to name a few). The riverboat Natchez is nice but a bit over priced IMHO. Taking a walking cemetery tour and/or ghost/vampire tour is will worth it. If you can get out to any of the plantations it's a great walking around southern beauty thing.

Bring jeans/long pants-Long sleeves or tshirts and sweatshirts/sweaters. Probably a light water proof jacket (morning fog is bad).

And hit me up on PM if you want someone to meet up with/hang out-The wife and I are always up to get out and see the sights.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
dpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant futuredpak has a brilliant future
dpak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgie View Post
I lived in NOLA for a few years. Not much to do there except party in the quarter and sight see the old houses on Saint Charles ave. There are also some plantations in the area to look at also. Unless all you want to do is party then you don't need a car. Might aswell stay downtown for a hotel. alittle more expensive but you would do less driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
I was down there last january...spent the majority of my time in the quarter...because i was there to drink and eat

I did venture out to the aquarium and zoo which was pretty neat but nothing extraordinarily special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Most of the hotels have a shuttle from the airport to the quarter. If you stay down there you'll spend a few more bucks, but everything will be closer.

Mothers diner for breakfast, Port of Call (or Yo Mommas) for Burgers, Cafe Du Monde fresh beignets, some kinda seafood po'boy. There are some more pricier restaurants that are well worth it (Copelands, GW Fins, Dickie Brennans to name a few). The riverboat Natchez is nice but a bit over priced IMHO. Taking a walking cemetery tour and/or ghost/vampire tour is will worth it. If you can get out to any of the plantations it's a great walking around southern beauty thing.

Bring jeans/long pants-Long sleeves or tshirts and sweatshirts/sweaters. Probably a light water proof jacket (morning fog is bad).

And hit me up on PM if you want someone to meet up with/hang out-The wife and I are always up to get out and see the sights.
Thanks for the input yall! All 3 of you mentioned the food, definitely can't wait to eat.

Brunes, thanks for the offer, might be taking you up on it Will let you know as the trip nears.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
benb870 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenb870 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenb870 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenb870 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenb870 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenb870 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenb870 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenb870 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenb870 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenb870 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenb870 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
benb870's Tacoma Gallery
NOLA is great! you'll have a good time. Lot's of live music! Check out a place in the quarter called Hotel St. Marie. I've stayed there a few times, it's about a block off of bourbon street. Just hop a cab from the airport to the french quarter.

The food is great too. I agree with Brunes. Yo Momma's is good. Black Coffee Pot, & maybe check out Emril's places. (NOLA & Delmonico off St Charles.) There's a little steak place in the French Quarter called Blue moon or the full moon, up by the Jax brewery area.....i cant remember the name, but it is good; they get the same meats as dickie brennans. You could also check out the court of two sisters & K Paul's Kitchen.

Have fun.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
We ate at a place just off the square one night...cannot for the life of me remember the name...but it was INCREDIBLE

If you're standing at the Cathedral facing the square...it'd be to your right
Old 10-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
wesrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Your gonna have a great time...
Old 10-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
zomg is a jewel in the roughzomg is a jewel in the roughzomg is a jewel in the rough

zomg's Tacoma Gallery
Morton's in Canal Place has some of the best steak in the world.

Check out Frenchmen St if you want to party with the locals.

Royal St has lots of cool shops, art galleries, &I antiques.

Lots of cool bars on Tchoupitoulas St in the Warehouse District: Red Eye, Republic, Howlin' Wolf, etc.

Lots of cool shops & bars on Magazine St, too. Stay away from Julie Neill Designs, though. The bitch is nutz.

If you are on Bourbon St, turn around when you see The Oz & Bourbon Pub. And God help you if you enter Rawhide.

Always be aware of your surroundings while in the city. The neighborhoods can go from 4 story mansions to crack houses in 1 or 2 blocks.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
zomg is a jewel in the roughzomg is a jewel in the roughzomg is a jewel in the rough

zomg's Tacoma Gallery
Also, tourists seem to love Pat O's. My brother in law is a manger there during the late shift. His name is Chad & he drives a Frontier. Feel free to give him shit, & make sure he knows it originated from me.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #12

zomg's Tacoma Gallery
1 more thing. There is a free mini festival every Wednesday afternoon around 4 or 5 at Lafayette Square on St Charles. It is 1 block off Poydras behind the 30 story building. Irma Thomas sang last week.