Louisiana Tacomas' Sicily Island Run

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Louisiana

Notices

Got Stopped By LSP Tonight

Old 12-08-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Got Stopped By LSP Tonight

I was driving to Whataburger tonight around 2am with my roommate, only car on the road, to get some food for finals and got nailed by Louisiana State Police. I was on I-10 EB coming over the hill by the Mall of Louisiana. Got me doing 75 in a 50, stupid I know. They were doing road construction on I-10 a little ways back and the speed limit hadn't raised it back up. Does anyone know how much this ticket is going to cost me? I'm an 18 y.o. Male with no prior tickets on my record. Also, does anyone know how much, if any, my insurance is gonna go up.

I thought the cop would at least cut me a little bit of a break. I tried my best to be as polite as possible. Started to pull over before he even turned the lights on and turned the car off, threw the keys on the dash, and had my hands on the wheel when he came up to the car.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
probably between $100 and $200 plus a point on you record which will cause your insurance to go up

also, if you were in the construction zone they will double the fine
Old 12-08-2011, 03:14 AM   #3
Viejon
markmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
markmatters's Tacoma Gallery
become a firefighter..they wont touch you because we're "on the same team"...hah, they wish. I've avoided atleast 10 tickets...in uniform, and telling them I'm just getting off a 24 hr shift and had 15 calls during the night. Anyway, to answer your question: I paid $280 in AZ for something similar to that when I was 18. and I think my parents insurance went up a bit...not sure...maybe someone else can confirm that..
Old 12-08-2011, 03:15 AM   #4
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
hard to say, pricing is completely different for different jurisdictions, here that ticket would cost about 200$ and your insurance would go up by about 200-300 per year
Old 12-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #5
Have a coke and a smile and shut the f#%k up!
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
hogeyphenogey's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome. Mark matters, thanks for doing what you do while at work, ems/police/ff I appreciate. Using your job to be above the law because of the boys' club, well that's another story. I work with retired cops and hear wonderful stories of getting out of DUI's because of the badge in their pocket. Bullshit. Anyhow, to the OP, I would go to court and see what happens. Up here, if you go to court they will often reduce the charges and can sometimes eliminate the points for you if you just pay the fine. Be polite and admit fault. I had a prosecutor in CT drop my speeding ticket because I was honest and the court date was on my birthday, and I was ticketless for about 20 years. I was lucky. Just tell them you made a mistake and own up to it and they may let you slide with less damage. I wouldn't just send in a check. Not sure how it works down there though. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #6
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Ouch, no defensive driving option for that much over the limit. I think the dollar values posted here are a bit conservative. I could see this being a 300-350.00 ticket, especially if construction zone and your insurance is usually 15% more for each violation and that will hang around for 39 months on your record. Supposed to be 3 yrs but they take 3 months to clear it from the record after it expires. Don't ask me how I know all this.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:37 AM   #7
Viejon
markmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
markmatters's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogeyphenogey View Post
Awesome. Mark matters, thanks for doing what you do while at work, ems/police/ff I appreciate. Using your job to be above the law because of the boys' club, well that's another story. I work with retired cops and hear wonderful stories of getting out of DUI's because of the badge in their pocket. Bullshit. Anyhow, to the OP, I would go to court and see what happens. Up here, if you go to court they will often reduce the charges and can sometimes eliminate the points for you if you just pay the fine. Be polite and admit fault. I had a prosecutor in CT drop my speeding ticket because I was honest and the court date was on my birthday, and I was ticketless for about 20 years. I was lucky. Just tell them you made a mistake and own up to it and they may let you slide with less damage. I wouldn't just send in a check. Not sure how it works down there though. Good luck.
I don't use my job as anything...not my problem if a cop decides to lick my...for doing what I do...I never beg or try to get out of it by being polite..it just happens...kinda like a Marine getting a free meal for their family in a family owned restaurant in Keller, TX...He didn't ask for it, it just happened.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #8
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, workers weren't present so I'm hoping it's not double the fine. This week sucks
Old 12-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #9
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmccul View Post
Damn, workers weren't present so I'm hoping it's not double the fine. This week sucks
I just discovered I owe 1700$ overall to several different companies all unexpectedly in 1 week, which I in NO WAY knew was coming and didn't budget for. Add Christmas and all of my regular expenses and no sleep on top of that.... well... trust me, your weeks not that bad
Old 12-08-2011, 04:11 AM   #10
azndude850 is on a distinguished road
Name: thien
azndude850's Tacoma Gallery
i think you can go to traffic school so you won't get any points and insurance won't go up.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
wesrunner's Tacoma Gallery
It won't be double since there were no men working...

It will be pretty steep...

I paid around 160 or so for my last 70 in a 55. 25 over is a hefty ticket i'm sure. Insurance didn't go up the first time...

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTT...

I'll let you know how much this 78 in a 60 in my glove box that I got last month is... Maybe give you an idea. I do expect my insurance to go up now...

Life sucks for us. Girls are worse drivers but we still pay more...
It's a lesson learned and I can guaruntee you're not the only one this has happened too.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azndude850 View Post
i think you can go to traffic school so you won't get any points and insurance won't go up.
Negative, 20 over is max for defensive driving..........unless it's more leinient in LA.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #13
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
That sucks OP, but don't worry too much. It sucks now but it will pass. Shit, when I was 18 I had a heavy foot and a fast car. Not a good combo, got 5 speeding tickets within a year and a half period. Not sure how I still had my license. I drive like and old man now.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #14

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Negative, 20 over is max for defensive driving..........unless it's more leinient in LA.
Damn, this really sucks. Gotta go home and tell the rents this weekend too
Old 12-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #15
NooBin
PoKeHerFacE is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: J_B
PoKeHerFacE's Tacoma Gallery
With no priors in Lousiana you can go to court and file under Article 10.93. (I Think)
You'll have to go through a short defensive driving course but it will be expunged from your record, you dont have to pay the ticket, and you insurance won't go up.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #16
NooBin

Law Enforcement:
The 20 mph I'm not sure about though.
It's still definatly worth looking into.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #17

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
I'm definitely gonna try that
Old 12-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #18
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
25 over in NC and they can take your license on the spot. yeah your insurance is gonna head up at least $1000 a year i would guess. but do what the third or fourth posting guy said. admit it, go to court, use manners, etc. good luck.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #19
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post

I don't know where you live, but speeding laws vary from state to state, and from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Even if you lived in MS or TX (neighboring states to LA) what applied to you, would not apply to the OP.

OP, your first consultation with a lawyer cost you nada. See if you have family or friends that will steer you to one. That and you are in college, which means two things:1) You know how to research for a problem and 2) You'll have three weeks to dedicate to find an answer to the problem.

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:51 PM   #20
NooBin

Law Enforcement:
La. law says that you can be taken to jail for 20mph over, and you will be threatend with that 9 times out of 10. But I've only heard of a couple cases where that happened and one was a off duty fireman going 100+ on I12 and tried to use the, "I was enroute to a call" routine, obviously he went to jail, but you won't ever take that ride for just 20 over.