Louisiana Tacomas' Sicily Island Run

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Louisiana

Notices

Talk me out of this guys...

Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
wesrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Talk me out of this guys...

So I found a 4x4 tranny for sale.

We also have an older abandoned XJ on our property with what I'm pretty sure is a Dana 35 up front.

I'd need to collect parts for a while, than find like a beater carolla to use as a DD while my truck is up on blocks.

IF I did this, who'd want to get their hands dirty on a regular enough basis that I could have my rig back within a month or so...

I REALLY want this, but I know it's going to be a headache.

Thoughts?

SASing my Tacoma just seems like it would be more fun of a rig than my already SFA Pickup...
Old 12-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
what are you trying to do?

a sas? or a 4x swap?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #3
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
dana 35s are weak as shit
Old 12-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pretty sure a d35 will work for what I do. I'm not at Moab every other week or anything...
Old 12-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
D35 are never up front on XJ's, but D30's are...

If you have ABS or if its an 87-93 w/o tow package which had a D44, then it would be a D35 in the back. From 94 on the Chrysler 8.25 became more prevalent, though it was in '97 when they went with 31 splines, as opposed to 27 or 29, IIRC.

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
seriously with a dana 30 or 35 you dont wanna go over 32 or 33" tires unless you strictly mall crawl, and then why would you even bother?honestly dana 44 is the weakest id put in a SAS and then after that youd want tons..

also you have alot more than just that initial cost when sasing, by the end youll prolly have 10k+ in it
Old 12-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
I've had a jeep like that. Those axels are weak not worth it. Keep that as your daily drive and wheel your pickup.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
Team 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
D35 are never up front on XJ's, but D30's are...

If you have ABS or if its an 87-93 w/o tow package which had a D44, then it would be a D35 in the back. From 94 on the Chrysler 8.25 became more prevalent, though it was in '97 when they went with 31 splines, as opposed to 27 or 29, IIRC.

Good luck!
Ok thanks. I'm not real knowlegable on Jeeps. I only know what I've learned from my dad's old CJ5.

I figured it was a smaller Dana. 35 was just a guess.
I'll have to go look under it. It was a parts rig my uncle had bought to keep for his XJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
seriously with a dana 30 or 35 you dont wanna go over 32 or 33" tires unless you strictly mall crawl, and then why would you even bother?honestly dana 44 is the weakest id put in a SAS and then after that youd want tons..

also you have alot more than just that initial cost when sasing, by the end youll prolly have 10k+ in it
The biggest tire I ever run is a 32. MAYBE a 33. And I know SAS's are expensive, but with the parts I already have, and what I have the ability to do at our shop, I'm just not seeing 10k. MAYBE 5 or 6k.

But it's ok, you guys have already convinced me. Even just 3k into my 85 and I'll be better off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbm32 View Post
I've had a jeep like that. Those axels are weak not worth it. Keep that as your daily drive and wheel your pickup.
Plan on it. Just have to convince my dad to stop sitting on it.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by infaMOUSE View Post
Ok thanks. I'm not real knowlegable on Jeeps. I only know what I've learned from my dad's old CJ5.

I figured it was a smaller Dana. 35 was just a guess.
I'll have to go look under it. It was a parts rig my uncle had bought to keep for his XJ.

The biggest tire I ever run is a 32. MAYBE a 33. And I know SAS's are expensive, but with the parts I already have, and what I have the ability to do at our shop, I'm just not seeing 10k. MAYBE 5 or 6k.

But it's ok, you guys have already convinced me. Even just 3k into my 85 and I'll be better off.

Plan on it. Just have to convince my dad to stop sitting on it.
4wd is for pansies! Haha, go full LT!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
A Dana 35 is weak as hell... Dana 44 and A 14 Bolt for the rear would be my choice.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #11
Team 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmccul View Post
4wd is for pansies! Haha, go full LT!

But my auto is no fun. If I could find a 1st gen reg cab 5 lugger with an MT, I might trade over just so I could have an LT DD, and an SFA trail rig.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
A Dana 35 is weak as hell... Dana 44 and A 14 Bolt for the rear would be my choice.

First you need to find one, then you'll need $$$$, unless you are darn lucky.

The Corporate 8.25 is PLENTY strong and cheap as hell. Easy to find also!