Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Louisiana

Notices

What gears and locker??

Old 06-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #21
mudking is on a distinguished road
mudking's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey badger View Post
Come on guys 42 views within two hours and no one has anything to say. I know most of you click on this since the bait pic is in there but someone has to have something to say?
Next time you put a bait pic try to use a good looking girl and not the ugliest chick you found at mardi gras.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #22
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
I know this thread is kinda old but I've decided to go with the 4.88's. I am going to put an ARB up front with a Detroit in the rear. I might change my mind and go with the ARB rear as well but for now I'll do the Detroit. I'll also run an ARB compressor big enough to air up my tires.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #23
Brandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2W271,2MUNS, 2BW, 8AF (Enough Said)
Brandon H's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brandon H Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon H
Quote:
I know this thread is kinda old but I've decided to go with the 4.88's. I am going to put an ARB up front with a Detroit in the rear. I might change my mind and go with the ARB rear as well but for now I'll do the Detroit. I'll also run an ARB compressor big enough to air up my tires.
Honestly, I think 4.88s are too low of gear for what you are doing/setup. You will have some high RPMs on the freeway and will get really bad gas mileage. 4.56 will be about perfect.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #24
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon H View Post
Honestly, I think 4.88s are too low of gear for what you are doing/setup. You will have some high RPMs on the freeway and will get really bad gas mileage. 4.56 will be about perfect.
With the 3.4 and all the added weight of armor I'll be adding 4.88's should be good.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #25
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Id go 4:88s. It would be a little over kill but perfect when you upgrade to 35s
Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #26
Brandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2W271,2MUNS, 2BW, 8AF (Enough Said)
Brandon H's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brandon H Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon H
Quote:
With the 3.4 and all the added weight of armor I'll be adding 4.88's should be good.
Ok man. Just telling you ahead of time. Its gonna be too low. But what do I know. Good Luck man
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon H View Post
Ok man. Just telling you ahead of time. Its gonna be too low. But what do I know. Good Luck man
I wasn't being a dick and not listening to your advice. Just simply saying that I'll be packing around a lot of weight as well as going with a 34-35 inch tire when these wear down. Also the only time I drive my truck is to go to the trails.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #29
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know what Bon did, if anything. But I installled 4.88's with the arb up front and the small arb comp. and love it. I'm running some high rpms on the interstate which kill mpgs but if I can keep it at around/under 55, I can get upwards of 17-18mpgs, its just difficult for me to do that lol.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:57 AM   #31
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm running 285/75/16 Goodyear MTR's and I'm manual. I'm also 1st gen with the 3.4.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #33

I personally think that the combo is perfect but because there are so many people out there with these trucks that are worried about mpg's more than they are power and torque then they won't like this combo. Here is a post I made earlier in the thread back when I was researching before I did anything and it turned out to be dead accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
I've read that the 4.88's with 33's run about 3k rpm at 70mph which is about what mine does now in 4th gear. So they shouldn't be that bad on the highway.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #34
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
That's actually right on par for what I am thinking about the 4.56 with 33's. I think it will wake up this motor on the low end, I don't go much over 55. Or should I say where I live the max posted speed limit is normally 55 with the exception of the Interstates being 70.

2nd Gen 4.0 with Automatic 5sp

Stock 3.73 Gears with 265/65/16
25mph = 880 RPM
55mph = 1935 RPM
70mph = 2463 RPM

4.10 Gears with 285/70/17
25mph = 874
55mph = 1923
70mph = 2247

4.56 Gears with 285/70/17
25mph = 972 RPM
55mph = 2138 RPM
70mph = 2721 RPM

The 4.10 with 33's esentially returns the truck to stock feeling, factory tire with factory 3.73 gears.
So in my opinion jumping to 4.56 is the only jump up in gear that is present and makes sense. Other wise I'm simply returning to stock.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #35

Yea that sounds right. 4.56's was going to put mine right about where it was, stock. So I bumped up one more gear ratio to give me some extra torque. And honestly, other than the high rpms at interstate speeds, I noticed a difference but it wasn't a huge difference. But once I locked it into 4lo, that's where they shined the most to me. It feels so much lower than it was before the 4.88's. It's awesome lol.