Louisiana Tacomas' Sicily Island Run

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Louisiana

Notices

What gears and locker??

Old 06-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
What gears and locker??

Figured I would post in here since I wheel with the La guys but anyone is welcome to give there input. I just recently purchased a Honda Accord to save on gas so my truck will be parked for 5-6 days out of the week. It is the 4 door 4 wheel drive V6 auto trans and 33 inch tires. I also plan on putting armor and a bed system to carry stuff for my off road trips. I was thinking of doing either 4.56 or 4.88's and a Detroit locker in the rear since it will only be driven on the road to go to the off road park. What are you guys thoughts or suggestions any help is appreciated thanks.

Edit: Something to draw attention to the thread! lol
Old 06-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Come on guys 42 views within two hours and no one has anything to say. I know most of you click on this since the bait pic is in there but someone has to have something to say?
Old 06-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #3

Bump!!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
4.56s for 33s is too much IMO even if you just drive to the offroad park.

I would only go ARB for lockers. I like having the option to unlock.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post

I disagree..this is for an almost dedicated trail rig and not a daily driver. 4.56 would be great but 4.88 would be ideal giving the fact for the lower ratio which will yield better control on the trail..plus will make things less stressful on the driveline..but I do agree on the ARB
Old 06-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
where did you find a honda accord with 33" tires???? Im confused?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
I disagree..this is for an almost dedicated trail rig and not a daily driver. 4.56 would be great but 4.88 would be ideal giving the fact for the lower ratio which will yield better control on the trail..plus will make things less stressful on the driveline..but I do agree on the ARB
Shit. Just go 7.99s then.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoFMS View Post
where did you find a honda accord with 33" tires???? Im confused?
Read man!! I bought a car and parked my truck so now the modding can begin on my truck. First thing is gears and a locker that is what I'm asking advice on

I think I would be content with the 4.56's since it will still be seeing the assault for the next few years just not as much of it. I know the 4.88's would be best just not sure how well that would do on interstates with speeds of up to 65-70 mph?? Some places I go to require me to take these roads. As far as ARB yes that would be the best but since it's not a DD I was thinking of other options. I don't like the idea of having all the air lines plus a compressor and air tank on my truck but will do it if I have to.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #9

Quote:

You have to remember I have the 3.4 do the 4.56's are ideal to get you back to stock with this size tires from what I've read and been told.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Well if it helps you any, I'm definitely going with 4.88's in mine. Whether I'll like them or not, I have no clue lol. But I do know that it should be nice and torquey, so I'll definitely be carrying a spare half-shaft haha.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #11

Southern when will you be getting them? Yea the way you tear them up you will need extra ones lol.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It will probably be a while. I'm saving up for my tires now then it's gonna be gears after that.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #13

Yea I am pretty sure that gears and a locker is next on the list. Just not sure what to get.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey badger View Post
You have to remember I have the 3.4 do the 4.56's are ideal to get you back to stock with this size tires from what I've read and been told.
Ah. I was thinking 4.0.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old 06-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Ah. I was thinking 4.0.
Nah it's an 02 with the 3.4 I wouldn't mind the 4.88's if I knew it would never see the road again. Also I have been thinking I will go with ARB and insteed of doing the air tank and compressor get a CO2 tank. Thoughts.......
Old 06-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #17

I've read that the 4.88's with 33's run about 3k rpm at 70mph which is about what mine does now in 4th gear. So they shouldn't be that bad on the highway. Also I would check into the co2 more. I would be scared that the low temps of the co2 would make the gears and everything more brittle, but I could be wrong. You might could run a small nitrogen setup. I know that nitrogen is a substitute air source on bagged trucks so it might work for that situation also.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #18
Power Top

i have the mini ARB compressor for the front locker..its only on for 5 seconds or less before it reaches it's pressure point then shuts off..i can actuate the locker several times before the compressor cycles over again
Old 06-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #19

I will look into that setup as well as the mini ARB.