1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mechanic Shop Help

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by NOLA ItsNotOva, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Jul 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    NOLA ItsNotOva

NOLA ItsNotOva [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TX TRD
    Hey guys! My 2001 Taco has been having some tranny issues. I bought it used with 155k miles on it as my first car and it was in good shape cosmetically. Mechanically not perfect. Theres things I need to fix on it but the main issue is the tranny. It jerks when I put it in Drive or Reverse and is harsh when shifting up etc. So I went to Cottmann off of Airline( i think) and they told me something about my driveshaft was messed up. I think they said it was jammed or something like that. They said that they would have to rebuild the driveshaft which would set me back $1350 plus tax for the rebuild and rear tranny mounts. I wanna ask some experienced guys if that would really be necessary to have to rebuild? Or if you know of any places that can give me a good diagnostic on it and give me a fair price? Thanks for any replies!

2. Jul 21, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    Mossy

Mossy Mechanic for Honda

Member:
    First Name:
    billy
    san antonio, TX
    ProComp lift Borla exhaust Borla air filter Nfab bars
    I would get a second opinion. That seems way over priced for a driveshaft

3. Jul 21, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    I agree. I would get other quotes on that. That sounds high for a few u-joints. Does it shift hard when accelerating slow or does it only do it when you are getting on it. The 1st gens have a bad axle wrap problem. I fought it with mine till I replaced the leafsprings. I have a manual trans. and it would cause a loud clank and a harsh jerk every time I would shift gears, but it would only do it if I was taking off kind of fast. Also, you can climb under the truck and check for slack in the u-joints yourself. You can do that by grabbing the DS and shaking it in every direction, then twist it back and forth, all while watching the u-joints. There should be no slack at all in the u-joints them selves. The DS should have some slack in the trans. and the diff. as far as twist goes, maybe an 1/8 of a turn or so.

4. Jul 21, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Could be your slip yoke causing it. Common on GM's. but it's not $1350 to grease that...

5. Jul 21, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    This was the first thing that came to mind for me too.

Products Discussed in

To Top