Louisiana Tacomas' Sicily Island Run

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Louisiana

Notices

Mechanic Shop Help

Old 07-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
NOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud ofNOLA ItsNotOva has much to be proud of

Name: Brandon
NOLA ItsNotOva's Tacoma Gallery
Mechanic Shop Help

Hey guys! My 2001 Taco has been having some tranny issues. I bought it used with 155k miles on it as my first car and it was in good shape cosmetically. Mechanically not perfect. Theres things I need to fix on it but the main issue is the tranny. It jerks when I put it in Drive or Reverse and is harsh when shifting up etc. So I went to Cottmann off of Airline( i think) and they told me something about my driveshaft was messed up. I think they said it was jammed or something like that. They said that they would have to rebuild the driveshaft which would set me back $1350 plus tax for the rebuild and rear tranny mounts. I wanna ask some experienced guys if that would really be necessary to have to rebuild? Or if you know of any places that can give me a good diagnostic on it and give me a fair price? Thanks for any replies!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
I would get a second opinion. That seems way over priced for a driveshaft
Old 07-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I agree. I would get other quotes on that. That sounds high for a few u-joints. Does it shift hard when accelerating slow or does it only do it when you are getting on it. The 1st gens have a bad axle wrap problem. I fought it with mine till I replaced the leafsprings. I have a manual trans. and it would cause a loud clank and a harsh jerk every time I would shift gears, but it would only do it if I was taking off kind of fast. Also, you can climb under the truck and check for slack in the u-joints yourself. You can do that by grabbing the DS and shaking it in every direction, then twist it back and forth, all while watching the u-joints. There should be no slack at all in the u-joints them selves. The DS should have some slack in the trans. and the diff. as far as twist goes, maybe an 1/8 of a turn or so.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Could be your slip yoke causing it. Common on GM's. but it's not $1350 to grease that...
Old 07-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern01Taco View Post
I agree. I would get other quotes on that. That sounds high for a few u-joints. Does it shift hard when accelerating slow or does it only do it when you are getting on it. The 1st gens have a bad axle wrap problem. I fought it with mine till I replaced the leafsprings. I have a manual trans. and it would cause a loud clank and a harsh jerk every time I would shift gears, but it would only do it if I was taking off kind of fast. Also, you can climb under the truck and check for slack in the u-joints yourself. You can do that by grabbing the DS and shaking it in every direction, then twist it back and forth, all while watching the u-joints. There should be no slack at all in the u-joints them selves. The DS should have some slack in the trans. and the diff. as far as twist goes, maybe an 1/8 of a turn or so.
This was the first thing that came to mind for me too.