Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Vendors > Marion Bumper2Bumper

Notices

Custom 4X4 and 4X2 hub bearing assemblies! Order them here!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Custom 4X4 and 4X2 hub bearing assemblies! Order them here!

IN STOCK! Supplies on order.

I've been working for a while now with Toyota, Timken, National, and Dorman. We all know the front wheel bearings are a common failure for both the Pre-runner, AND the 4X4 (ESPECIALLY the 4X4!) and trying to find a quality replacement is a pain. Then you have to get the parts together, drive to a shop, pay anywhere from $25-$50, and PRAY that the shop doesn't break something in the process!

Have you wanted to be able to buy the entire bearing, ready to bolt on, with quality parts without breaking the bank? My work is your gain. I have obtained contracts with suppliers and now am able to make pre-assembled FULL units, ready to bolt on. EVEN THE PRERUNNER 6 LUG 4X2!

Here is what you will get:

For the 4X4 Tacoma:
  • National brand bearing (Timken, GMB, or Koyo available)
  • Dorman wheel hub
  • Timken bearing seal
  • Toyota bearing installation bolts
  • Toyota o-ring seal
The price of this bearing unit, pre-assembled and ready for install is: $184 each. This includes shipping to the lower 48. Canadian orders see bottom of this post.

These will fit the following 4 wheel drive vehicles:
2005 - 2013 Toyota Tacoma
2003 - 2013 Toyota 4runner
2007 - 2013 FJ Cruiser
2003 -2013 Lexus GX 470

For the Pre-runner:
  • National brand bearing (Timken, GMB, or Koyo available)
  • FACTORY Toyota wheel hub
  • FACTORY Toyota hub nut
  • Timken bearing seal
  • Toyota Bearing installation bolts
The price of this bearing unit, pre-assembled and ready for install is: $284 each. This includes shipping to the lower 48. (Canadian orders see bottom of this post)

These will fit the following 2 wheel drive vehicles:

All Tacoma Prerunners
2003 and up Toyota 4Runner
2007 and up FJ Cruiser

All assemblies are built in a fully ASE certified shop, by an ASE certified Master Technician using a 20 ton shop press.

I was finally able to upload my own photos. Below you will see the components as well as the assemblies.

Above you will see the Toyota o-ring, Timken bearing seal, Toyota hub bolts, and the National hub bearing assemblies.
Also you can see the Dorman hub for the 4X4 setup, as well as the Toyota hub for the 4X2 setup.

Assembled 4X4 hub unit:

Assembled 4X2 hub unit:

Here is the proper way to press these units together.

Some people place the hub and bearing assembly directly on the lower plate. This is not the correct way as it applies force to the bearings themselves on the inside. This can cause chipping of the bearings or races, resulting in premature bearing failure. By using a press sleeve underneath the assembly, and directly on the center bearing support it forces the pressure only on the inner races of the bearings, pressing the two races together, and pressing the wheel hub into place. This applies NO pressure to the bearing itself. How can you tell? Check out this short video I made that demonstrates this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhHbO...ature=youtu.be

The process will include:
  • Proper full greasing of the new bearing
  • installation of bearing seal
  • installation of mounting nuts
  • pressing of wheel hub into bearing
  • installation of hub backing nut and torque to spec.
I have a new system I designed to pack these wheel bearing FULL with the appropriate high pressure grease. Most bearings, including Koyo, Timken, National, and all of the others, come with an inadequate amount of lubrication. I pack these bearings properly.

***WARRANTY***Now included for free!!

I offer a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty (Whichever comes first)
Please photograph your odometer when you install the hubs.

Again these are professionally built units, assembled by an ASE certified master technician (ASE identification number ASE-1923-5640) and are assembled in a licensed automotive repair shop.

Please note that in order to make sure I am doing this legally, I have to charge sales tax to any orders shipped within the state of Alabama. Not what I want to do, but it is the only legal way to do this. All states require sales, even online, to charge sales tax if sold within the same state, so if you live in Texas, and buy them from a seller in Texas, you are required by law to pay sales tax.

Shipments to Canada are available, but due to weight limits of 20lbs as designated by the USPS, I cannot combine shipping to reduce costs for 2 hub assemblies. Each hub is 12 lbs, so I have to ship in two separate flat rate boxes at $41 each
. I will be researching alternative shipping. I am open to suggestions.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Building my 2005 and up 2WD Tacoma/PreRunner/4Runner front bearing assemblies

Would you like to see how they are assembled? Check it out right here on a pair of 2WD Tacoma/4Runner/FJ Cruiser assembly!

After several people have suggested it, I have decided to create a thread showing how I build the 2WD hub bearing assemblies for the Tacoma, PreRunner, and 4Runner trucks.

Some people have asked WHY they should use a full unit like this, instead of pressing out their original hubs and reusing them. The answer is pretty simple. While the original hubs may be perfectly fine to reuse, getting the entire assembly saves time and as we all know, time is money. Sure, you could save yourself some money and buy the bearings and seals yourself, then take them down and get the old hub pressed out and the new bearing and seal pressed together. What you do have to concern yourself with is the condition of the wheel hub itself.

The seal contact surface must be clean and smooth (this applies to the 4WD wheel hub as well) because any pitting or wear at this location will quickly ruin the new seal, allowing water and foreign material to enter the bearing. This results in premature bearing failure, and another trip to buy a replacement bearing, seal, and of course a new hub unless you want to do this again soon. If you look at the photo below you will see a brand new Toyota factory wheel hub.

Note the silver tipped pointer. This is where your hub needs to be inspected. Many of the 2WD and 4WD hubs wear here. The reason for this is that as the bearing fails, it allows the wheel hub to wobble, putting it in contact with the metal part of the seal. This then causes damage to the wheel hub. If this damage goes unnoticed then you are going to be having bearing failure again in the near future, as this damaged area will destroy a new seal in short time.

Now that we have shown WHY you should replace the entire unit, I will show how it is assembled so that you get a quality part, at a good price.

First thing of course is to obtain and inspect all of the parts needed to build these units. The following are all of the items:

Genuine Toyota 2WD wheel hub assembly:

then 4 genuine Toyota hub mounting bolts:

Originally I was using National brand hub seals, but I have found that the Timken seals are a faster supply for the demands. I have been ordering these in lots of 20.

And of course you will need the genuine Toyota hub nut for the 2WD models.

Lastly you can use your bearing of choice. Here I use either National or Koyo/Timken based on current supply. National bearings have become harder to locate with the official National stamp on them. While any bearing assembly with the same part number uses the National bearing, not all of the places that make the entire bearing/housing assembly obtain their bearings from a supplier. Many buy them direct from the bearing manufacturing plant. I have obtained a contract directly with a Koyo bearing manufacturer plant, and will be using them as my primary supplier. Once the National bearings that I have in stock are used up, I will be shifting to exclusive Koyo brand bearings except when I may run into shipping delays which will force me to order the National or NSK bearing units.

Once I have all of the parts together I first press on the seal to the bearing unit. This guarantees 100% uniform mounting with no dimples. As of this posting, I am the ONLY company that has picture proof that I install the seals in this way, which is the best way to ensure uniformity and proper installation.

After the seal is installed I lubricate the lip of the seal with bearing grease. This is an important step, as it ensures that the seal is not dry when the hub begins to rotate. Imagine a dry seal against a piece of metal turning at 50+ MPH! Not pretty, and not good for the seal.

Once the seal is lubricated I place the bearing onto the adapter for the press as explained in the opening post of my thread on the bearing assemblies. This MUST be done to protect the roller bearings and the bearing cages. If pressed together improperly the bearings can chip, causing premature failure. The below video shows how to tell that the bearings are not under load when pressing in the hub. (Note that the mounting bolts are already inserted. This is because once the assembly is pressed together, the bolts are locked in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BhHbOe5SSZc

Once the hub is properly pressed into the bearing assembly you can remove the unit and install the hub nut. I am not sure where some of the information has been gathered from, but according to Toyota, the proper torque of the hub nuts on the 2WD assemblies is 203 Lbs-ft. The proper SST tool MUST be used to protect the assembly.

After the nut is torqued, then I locate the small indentation tab on the wheel hub and using a small drift punch I stake the edge of the nut. This is done to prevent the nut from possibly backing off during use. Also note that a properly pressed in assembly will only have one thread of the nut showing once it is torqued down. If more than one thread is showing, then something was not pressed together properly.

And there you have it! A 2WD hub assembly ready to be installed in your Tacoma, or 4Runner! Any questions feel free to ask! I hope this was informative to those who wanted to know.

Get yours here!!!

2005 and up 2WD and 4WD front bearing complete assemblies!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
ramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ramon
ramonortiz55's Tacoma Gallery
Do you only have hubs for Toyotas listed above?

What about other Toyota vehicles?
Old 08-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
ASE Master Tech

Forgot all about this particular thread since I have my main one now. What other Toyota vehicles are you needing front hub bearings for? PM me and I will see what I have.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #5
skeezix is on a distinguished road
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
How about 1998 through 2000 4x4s??
Old 08-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezix View Post
How about 1998 through 2000 4x4s??
The 1995.5 through 2004 Toyota trucks do not have a "hub bearing" bolt on assembly. Those bearings are pressed directly into the spindle assembly. This means that the entire steering spindle assembly will need to be removed and taken to a press. Sorry!
Old 08-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
skeezix is on a distinguished road
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not familiar with the process. The first wheel bearings I greased were on a 1953 Ford back in 1960, and the last ones I greased were on a 1972 Chevelle back in 1984 or so. I've looked around this site and others for information on redoing the wheel bearings on my 1998 Tacoma 4x4 but haven't found anything. Is the construction similar to that back in the olden times?? Where one removes a spindle nut and the brake drum pops out? Or will I need to yank the front differential???
Old 08-16-2014, 06:37 AM   #8
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeezix View Post
I'm not familiar with the process. The first wheel bearings I greased were on a 1953 Ford back in 1960, and the last ones I greased were on a 1972 Chevelle back in 1984 or so. I've looked around this site and others for information on redoing the wheel bearings on my 1998 Tacoma 4x4 but haven't found anything. Is the construction similar to that back in the olden times?? Where one removes a spindle nut and the brake drum pops out? Or will I need to yank the front differential???
The old systems you are familiar with were basic caged bearings. You pretty much don't have those anymore for quite a long time now. They use a sealed bearing unit. Your 1998 Tacoma has these:

And in order to replace them you have to remove the steering spindle assembly and take it to a shop (Unless you have your own press) and have them press out the old one and press in the new one.

The units that I sell are preassembled, but the bearing itself is this:

As you can see, two totally different designs. Gone are the days where you could regrease your wheel bearings. Now they are pregreased and sealed units.