1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at moving to Indiana, where should we move?

Discussion in 'Mid West' started by dommo, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Jul 13, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    dommo

dommo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner TRD
    So my wife and I are looking at relocating to central Indiana after I get out of the military, in about a year or so. Trying to do some research well in advance, instead of trying city x, y, or z, and finding we dont like the place.

So a little background: My wife's family is from Indiana, mainly from the Carmel/Fishers area, a few farther north up in Merrillville/Crown Point, so somewhere around there is where we have been looking.

I would love to hear everyone's opinion on the area, as far as quality of schools, cost of living, crime/safety, etc...whatever you think might be applicable to a family(two children as well, ages 5 and 3) looking at the area. Generally from Indy(no idea on which neighborhood, just no ruling Indy out) up to Crown Point. We have looked at Carmel, Fishers, Nobelsville, Zionsville, Avon, Lafayette/West Lafayette, etc, etc.

Thanks

2. Jul 15, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
  3. Jul 15, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    Lazylegs

Lazylegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    Carmel Area..

4. Aug 3, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    NwiTACO

NwiTACO Big tars, little/no bed.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Custom Everything, 1 Ton Axles F & R
    Depends on what you are looking for. Crown Point is close enough to Chicago that you children (if you have any) can see some of the best zoos/aquariums to offer.

I am from Cedar Lake, just west of Crown Point. I would wanna no closer to chicago but no farther either. And if I was moving farther south, I would stay closer to Indy than Lafayette. Lafayette is kinda in the middle...nothing to do...to far away from anything big.

5. Aug 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    dommo

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner TRD
    Thanks for the link to city-data...never seen that site till then, but looks very useful.

6. Aug 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    Indymonkey

Indymonkey Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    on the farm
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma 4X4
    3 coats of wax
    I live on a farm just outside Monrovia. 20 to 25 mins downtown Indy and no one cares when I shoot machine guns in the back yard. After living here for 17 years this is where I chose to live. Plenty of hills and ravines, not much traffic, yet close enough to everything.

7. Aug 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    taco47001

taco47001 Newborn

Member:
    Aurora, IN
    Vehicle:
    LX470
    I'm kinda partial to the SE portion on the state. We just moved out here from Cincy (Yep switched states) last Nov. LOVING it. Dearborn County has great schools, still close enough to Cincinnati and Indy for Sports/Concerts or anything else your fancy. Quiet country living not far from the city...

8. Aug 6, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    dommo

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner TRD
    LMAO, you have no idea how big a selling point it is for me that I would be able to shoot machine guns off my back porch. Sure, I'm pretty sure my wife would no-go it, but I'm glad the option is still there.

Taco47001-Honestly, if/when we move up there, it is going to be either in Indy, or one of the suburbs just North of the city. One of the main reasons we are looking at the area is being decently close to her family(split between Carmel and Crown Point areas), although I havent heard anything bad about other areas(other than Gary..."The Region" I guess its called), so who knows.

9. Aug 6, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    NwiTACO

NwiTACO Big tars, little/no bed.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Custom Everything, 1 Ton Axles F & R
    Haha..."The region" is a term used for pretty much all of Lake, Porter, and newton counties...much much more than just gary. And FWIW, Gary pretty much keeps to itself, lol.

10. Dec 18, 2012 at 1:35 AM
    KYRIDER

KYRIDER Member

Member:
    Eastern KY
    Vehicle:
    04 4x4 ext cab
    Tires, so far. Just getting started.My wallet is the limit. I have had it 1 week, 1st refuel I got 19.4
    Move to KY it is a lot cheaper to live here. We moved here 3 years ago from the ft. wayne area and we love all the trails to ride on.:)

11. Dec 18, 2012 at 8:14 AM
    dommo

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner TRD
    Spent my share of time in KY, didn't mind the place at all. But it kinda defeats the purpose of moving up there to be closer to family.

Products Discussed in

To Top