Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Mid West

Notices

Driving through Kansas

Old 06-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Driving through Kansas

Will be leaving tonight, and flying in to Colorado to visit with my in-laws. Wife's grandpa is 95 and he wants to meet his great grand daughter. Met his great grand son, but he was 3 months..

Will be leaving CO on Saturday afternoon and driving to Olathe. Thinking of doing a stop over in Hays (halfway) and staying at a cheap place just to get the kids out of the car. We are coming from Hawaii so anything over 2 hours is already a long drive..lol..

1. Any great BBQ places we need to try that will be on the way?
2. Anyone in Olathe or Hays and have some recommendations?

Thanks!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
No love for Kansas?? At least one good thing. Went to pick up a week rental from AVIS today. Got a '14 4runner 4x4 (Atrac).. At least the drive will be a Toyota-familar one for the 600+ miles.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Just keep driving.

Lived in Garden City KS 3 years and that was too long.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #4

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Just keep driving.

Lived in Garden City KS 3 years and that was too long.
lol.. I feel you and we haven't even left yet.

Gearing up to leave Denver about noon and get into Hays before 5. Will be able to get some grub and possibly hit the indoor pool before bed..

Any good food in Hays??
Probably gonna hit Topeka for that Bobo's place on Sunday on our way to Olathe.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:30 AM   #5
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know of any historic restaurants in Hays, but Freddy's Frozen Custard is delicious. They have great burgers and fries, then enjoy the custard for dessert.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
andlours is on a distinguished road

Name: Andy
andlours's Tacoma Gallery
I've had to drive across Kansas numerous times. I'm from Denver and going to school in Oklahoma. I don't know of anything to do in Hays, but man is that one long, boring drive.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:47 PM   #7

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
I'm gonna ASSume no one is from around Hays (cause no one chimed in), but umm, yea.. from what i'm seeing so far, this area seems like a pass-though town.

The drive actually wasn't that bad (300 or so miles). Tomorrow will be about the same (with a stop over in Topeka for some grub that was shown on Triple D), and then over to Olathe.

I know it's always what you make of it, but I would sleep better if I was packing heat... motel/hotel room is actually decent, but neighbors seem like Dog the Bounty hunter could have been here before.. lol..
Old 06-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #8

Make sure to stop at Oasis on the Plains on your way out there. It's a really nice truck stop. I always look forward to that on my drives through Kansas.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #9

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by andlours View Post
Make sure to stop at Oasis on the Plains on your way out there. It's a really nice truck stop. I always look forward to that on my drives through Kansas.
Is that place "family friendly"??? will have my pretty decently hot wife, a 5 and 2 year old..

Went out to Gella's in Hays. The service from (Noah) was great, the home crafted beers were great, the Ribeye ($20 was great, the taste was alright), but all in all, better than most places we could have spent $$$ on..

off to sleep then to Oalthe in the morn..

edit: will need to stop off at that place on the way back.. already passed it for the trip to olathe.. any other tips?????????
Old 06-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #11
wildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wildcats's Tacoma Gallery
Plenty of BBQ in Olathe area. I would definitely go to Oklahoma Joe's first. There's also Jack Stack's and Arthur Bryant's but not sure if they have restaurants in Olathe or just Kansas City. Eastern Kansas isn't bad, I agree the driving West of Wichita is a little uneventful.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
wildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildcats is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wildcats's Tacoma Gallery
If you actually feel like driving around the Flint Hills can be pretty beautiful this time of year. It's a bit out of the way but a drive to Cottonwood Falls would highlight some of Kansas's better attributes, there is also a very nice historical restaurant The Grand Central Hotel and about 20 miles from Clover Cliff Ranch Bed and Breakfast, which is a large limestone mansion built in the 1800's right in the heart of the Flint Hills.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycie View Post
Is that place "family friendly"??? will have my pretty decently hot wife, a 5 and 2 year old..

Went out to Gella's in Hays. The service from (Noah) was great, the home crafted beers were great, the Ribeye ($20 was great, the taste was alright), but all in all, better than most places we could have spent $$$ on..

off to sleep then to Oalthe in the morn..

edit: will need to stop off at that place on the way back.. already passed it for the trip to olathe.. any other tips?????????
It absolutely is family friendly. ha. It's just a huge truck stop/gas station with a bunch of restaurants and souvenirs. Oh yeah, it also has some fake palm trees out front.

Here's a picture of my old 4Runner the last time I was there.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #14
TheRedHorseman will become famous soon enough
TheRedHorseman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcats View Post
Plenty of BBQ in Olathe area. I would definitely go to Oklahoma Joe's first.
That place must be amazing, every time I've driven up there was a line out the door and around the corner. Still haven't actually made it in. There is an Aurthur Bryant's just north on the 435 by the Legends and skittles in a toilet track.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #15
jeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeff b is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedHorseman View Post
That place must be amazing, every time I've driven up there was a line out the door and around the corner. Still haven't actually made it in. There is an Aurthur Bryant's just north on the 435 by the Legends and skittles in a toilet track.
Oklahoma Joes! On Anthony Bourdains list of places to eat. Catch a Royals game while you're in town. Disregard the haters, KC is an awesome place to live. Nelson Atkins Art Museum, Liberty Memorial WW1 Monument is the only WW1 tribute in the country. Plenty to do here.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #16
TheRedHorseman will become famous soon enough
TheRedHorseman's Tacoma Gallery
The memorial is impressive, as is the museum.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #17
ponchosportal is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Airborne radio and radar repair.
ponchosportal's Tacoma Gallery
FYI the WW1 memorial is in Kansas City, Missouri.

Oklahoma Joe's definitely worth the visit if you like good BBQ.

Driven across Kansas 14 times this year on I70 .... sure am getting tired of Kansas on I70. I have to drink a couple of those 5 hour energy drinks every time I go through and it only takes 6 - 6.5 hours.

Have fun and enjoy Kansas,
Poncho
Old 06-30-2014, 06:13 AM   #18
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Driving across Kansas? Put a brick on the pedal and don't stop haha.

x3897568754 on eating at Okie Joe's in Olathe when you get there. Best BBQ in the world IMO, and as Jeff said it's one of Anthony Bourdain's "10 restaurants you have to eat at before you die" in the world
Old 06-30-2014, 06:38 AM   #19
g35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
g35man's Tacoma Gallery
Lived in Wichita for several years after school and my son still lives there, until college next year! I have never just felt wowed by any eatery there but then again I grew up on southern cooking all my life so in my opinion that's a tall hill to climb. Good luck on your food adventures there! Oh and our Texas BBQ I would put up against any Kansas BBQ any day.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:42 AM   #20
2011 TX TRD Offroad
Cmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCmurder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: B.C.
Cmurder's Tacoma Gallery
you gotta have some Oklahoma Joes if you're down in Olathe, KS. I live about 3 miles north in Merriam, KS but my parents are in Olathe. You can probably type in BBQ in a search and find at least 10 places to eat around the KC area.