Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Mid West (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mid-west/)
-   -   Personal Property Tax in Missouri (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mid-west/250892-personal-property-tax-missouri.html)

RedDead 11-28-2012 11:45 AM

Personal Property Tax in Missouri
Just wondering if anyone can lead me in the right direction...

a couple months ago I moved to missouri and started researching about registering my truck here.

In north carolina(where i have my truck currently registered) I did not pay personal property tax on my truck. I just paid the yearly registration. But here in missouri it says i should pay around 421 a year on my truck.

Also i have been living here for a couple months now and it says i should of had my truck registered in missouri within the first 30 days of moving here. How would they know when i actually moved here. Can i wait till january to register my truck here since in missouri you pay a full years worth of tax? (not prorated)

I've also been pulled over twice already and both state troopers said anything about my truck being registered in north carolina.

A3umph 12-03-2012 10:13 AM

For your first time licensing you will have to go to the count court house and get an exemption for the taxes. Then you will claim the truck on your PP tax in January and pay the taxes in December.

Polymerhead 12-03-2012 08:08 PM


Originally Posted by A3umph (Post 6077998)
For your first time licensing you will have to go to the count court house and get an exemption for the taxes. Then you will claim the truck on your PP tax in January and pay the taxes in December.

This. Before you get your MO plates, you have to go to your court office and basically affirm that you didn't own the car on Jan 1 of last year in MO. They print off a tax waiver for you and then you can go to the DMV to get your plate and plate tags, which is how we pay registration in this state. You can pay for 1 or 2 years. You may need to get a state safety inspection as well, if your truck is more than 5 years old.

After you're in the books, in Feb or March of 2013, you will receive a declaration form that asks you to affirm that you had your truck and any other taxable property on Jan 1, 2013. Then in Nov '13 you'll get a property tax bill for 2013 due by Dec 31, 2013. I pay about $600 a year for my 2010 but a large part of that is local (city/county) taxes.

I believe there may be a small penalty if you don't register your truck within 30 days of moving here, but I don't know the details.

From mo.gov:

New Resident Titling & Registration Requirements

You have 30 days from the date of becoming a Missouri resident to title your vehicle.

To obtain a Missouri title and registration (license plates) on a motor vehicle currently titled in another state, you must submit the following:
  1. An ownership document such as:
    • Title from the previous state or country where the vehicle was titled; or
    • Registration Certificate or proof of ownership in accordance with the laws of the previous state or country, if there is an active lien on the vehicle and the lienholder currently holds the out-of-state title;
      NOTE: If one of the ownership documents listed above is not available, please contact a license office for additional information and assistance.
      NOTE: If there is a lien on the vehicle, you should obtain the title from the lienholder to submit with your application. The lien will remain in force. When the Missouri title is issued, the lien will appear on the face of the title. Missouri titles are mailed to the vehicle owner. If you are unable to obtain the title, please contact us at (573) 526-3669.
  2. A signed Application for Missouri Title and License (Form 108);
  3. A current insurance identification card (original or copy) or other proof of financial responsibility;
  4. Statement of non-assessment from your county (or City of St. Louis) collector's office showing you do not owe personal property taxes in the county (or City of St. Louis). Visit the State Tax Commission for a list of collectors;
  5. *A Missouri safety inspection not more than 60 days old;
  6. Identification number and odometer (ID/OD) inspection. All motor vehicles previously titled in another state or country must be inspected to verify the vehicle identification number and odometer reading of the vehicle. This inspection can be completed by a Missouri authorized inspection station. A safety inspection or emissions inspection will satisfy this requirement; and
  7. *An emissions inspection not more than 60 days old, if you reside in St. Louis City or the following counties: Franklin, Jefferson, St. Charles, or St. Louis, if applicable.
* If there is no change in vehicle ownership, even model year vehicles must be safety/emissions inspected (unless exempt) in even calendar years, and odd model year vehicles must be inspected (unless exempt) in odd calendar years.
Note: Effective January 1, 2010, motor vehicles are exempt from the safety inspection requirement for the first five years following the model year of manufacture. This is true regardless of whether or not a change of ownership occurs during this time frame. Example: a 2006 vehicle will be exempt from the safety inspection in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011.

You will pay:
  • State tax of 4.225 percent, plus your local sales tax (or local use tax, if applicable) on the purchase price, less trade-in allowance, if any;
    NOTE: If the vehicle has been owned and operated in another state for at least 90 days prior to titling and registering in Missouri, no sales tax is due. Owners who have owned the vehicle for less than 90 days and paid sales tax to another state, less than the amount of Missouri State and local taxes, will be required to show proof of payment of those taxes and also pay the difference of the two amounts.
  • $8.50 title fee;
  • Registration (license plate) fees, based on either taxable horsepower or vehicle weight;
  • $2.50 title processing fee; and
  • $3.50 registration processing fee for a one year registration or $7.00 registration processing fee for a two year registration.

RedDead 12-05-2012 11:41 AM

thanks guys

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:12 PM.