1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VFW / American Legion

Discussion in 'Military' started by dhurley, Jul 10, 2010.

?

Which are you a member of?

Poll closed Sep 8, 2010.
  1. VFW

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. American Legion

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Other

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Jul 10, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    dhurley

dhurley [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    I get this thing from the American Legion every year to join & most of the time I don't pay it much attention. This year I did some looking on the web at them and the VFW. I was curious how many members here are a member of either of these organizations and what are your likes and/or dislikes, opinions, etc. Thanks.

2. Jul 10, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    They actually do about the same thing. They lobby for the rights of veterans. The American Legion wrote the draft for the GI Bill and campaigned for its passage. LINK

It doesn't matter which one you join but I feel all veterans should join at least one or the other.

They also work with veterans in help in making claims with the VA. They will help you regardless if you are a member or not. Most VA's provides offices for groups like the American Legion, VFW, Disabled American Vets, Military Order of the Purple Heart, etc.

When I filed my claim a counselor sat down with me and went through my medical records a page at a time. She did all the paper work and filed my claim for me. She also kept me informed and answered all questions through out the entire process.

All of the organizations listed above are great and well deserving of our support.

3. Jul 10, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    Getting Ready to join but will probably go with the DAV....

4. Jul 10, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    You can't go wrong by joining any of these organizations.

5. Jul 10, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    XSB41

XSB41 If I had a hammer...

Member:
    First Name:
    Rik
    Va.
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4
    hitch haul, bed extender, bed mat, behind seat gun rack, roof rack
    Belong to DAV and the Legion, vets helping vets...at least most of the time...got to stick together...

6. Jul 10, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    dhurley

dhurley [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    Even though I qualify for the VFW (12 months in Korea), I know of guys who were in Bosnia who didn't qualify. Don't know if I'd feel right. I've got address for a couple posts of each that are close to me. I'll see about visiting them & feel them out.

Thanks for the input.

7. Jul 10, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i'm a member of AL, but not really active in it yet since i've been moving and stuff lately. need to find a local post and see what's up. sure there's some good stories. stilll kinda feel weird going to one since i was active duty, but now still active guard

8. Jul 10, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

Did DAV for life .... and VVA on an annual basis.

9. Jul 18, 2010 at 5:29 AM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    I am a member of the VFW, The vet services offices at the VA hospital did my disability claim and went over it with a fine tooth comb, I support the VFW chapter here in town but am not a regular participation member, I just cant find the time right now. Both the VFW and AL are great organizations with good people that are there to help and support vets. If youre not a member, I'd recommend checking either one out and joining. Just like with the NRA, THE VFW and AL need people in its constituency for lobbying purposes. Its one way to make your voice and your vote count.
    Cheers,

10. Jul 18, 2010 at 6:15 AM
    montgomery_30824

montgomery_30824 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Guyton, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '06 prerunner 4dr
    K & N airfilter, custom built 10" sub boxes, pioneer head, mag-lite mod, Blue LED dash lights, custom painted engine cover, mud flap removal mod, alarm/remote start installed,
    Been getting those things in the mail alot recently. Thinkin bout joining too.

11. Sep 7, 2010 at 12:04 AM
    JoePa Fan

JoePa Fan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Whip
    Stoney Creek Mills, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 T/X Pro TRD Black
    CAT back performance exhaust, Bilstein shocks, window vent visors, Access LE tonneau cover, Pop N Lock tailgate lock, TRD beadlock alloy wheels, TRD valve stem covers, tube steps
    Lifetime member of the VFW, Post 411, Birdsboro, PA.

Products Discussed in

To Top