Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

VFW / American Legion

View Poll Results: Which are you a member of?
VFW 7 46.67%
American Legion 6 40.00%
Other 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
dhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 20 years: Field Artillery, Communications & Range NCO
Name: Doug
dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
VFW / American Legion Membersship

I get this thing from the American Legion every year to join & most of the time I don't pay it much attention. This year I did some looking on the web at them and the VFW. I was curious how many members here are a member of either of these organizations and what are your likes and/or dislikes, opinions, etc. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
They actually do about the same thing. They lobby for the rights of veterans. The American Legion wrote the draft for the GI Bill and campaigned for its passage. LINK

It doesn't matter which one you join but I feel all veterans should join at least one or the other.

They also work with veterans in help in making claims with the VA. They will help you regardless if you are a member or not. Most VA's provides offices for groups like the American Legion, VFW, Disabled American Vets, Military Order of the Purple Heart, etc.

When I filed my claim a counselor sat down with me and went through my medical records a page at a time. She did all the paper work and filed my claim for me. She also kept me informed and answered all questions through out the entire process.

All of the organizations listed above are great and well deserving of our support.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Getting Ready to join but will probably go with the DAV....
Old 07-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rme View Post
Getting Ready to join but will probably go with the DAV....
You can't go wrong by joining any of these organizations.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
If I had a hammer...
XSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 1/327th 101st ABN
Name: Rik
XSB41's Tacoma Gallery
Belong to DAV and the Legion, vets helping vets...at least most of the time...got to stick together...
Old 07-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
dhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the sheddhurley is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 20 years: Field Artillery, Communications & Range NCO
Name: Doug
dhurley's Tacoma Gallery
Even though I qualify for the VFW (12 months in Korea), I know of guys who were in Bosnia who didn't qualify. Don't know if I'd feel right. I've got address for a couple posts of each that are close to me. I'll see about visiting them & feel them out.

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i'm a member of AL, but not really active in it yet since i've been moving and stuff lately. need to find a local post and see what's up. sure there's some good stories. stilll kinda feel weird going to one since i was active duty, but now still active guard
Old 07-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery

Did DAV for life .... and VVA on an annual basis.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
Senior Citizen
MT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant future

Air Force: Telecomm Tech
MT Madman's Tacoma Gallery
Member of the Legion since I retired and mainly went that way since my father-in-law had been the post commander and district commander. All military veterans should look at joining an organization and pay dues since they are basically our only representation in DC.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:29 AM   #10
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
I am a member of the VFW, The vet services offices at the VA hospital did my disability claim and went over it with a fine tooth comb, I support the VFW chapter here in town but am not a regular participation member, I just cant find the time right now. Both the VFW and AL are great organizations with good people that are there to help and support vets. If youre not a member, I'd recommend checking either one out and joining. Just like with the NRA, THE VFW and AL need people in its constituency for lobbying purposes. Its one way to make your voice and your vote count.
Cheers,
Old 07-18-2010, 06:15 AM   #11
montgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53E Avionics Tech
Name: Lee
montgomery_30824's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to montgomery_30824
Been getting those things in the mail alot recently. Thinkin bout joining too.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #12
JoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud of

Air Force: Retired MSgt
Name: Whip
JoePa Fan's Tacoma Gallery
Lifetime member of the VFW, Post 411, Birdsboro, PA.