1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Usaf pj

Discussion in 'Military' started by Future55, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Jul 12, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    Future55

Future55 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    Weathertech Mats, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Dry S CAI, TRD Exhaust, Access LE w/ Pop'n lock, 17" XD Revolvers, 285/70/17 Duratracs
    There seems to be a couple guys here that are/were a PJ. I figured this would be a good place to ask a couple questions.

Realistically, if you havent dedicated years upon years to joining, what are the chances?

Right now im about to graduate college and im thinking of Army infantry, but id much rather be a PJ and rescue people. I know how hard it is, and as much as id want to do it, im worried.

Since PJs are enlisted, lets say i attempted it, what if i dont get it? With a college degree i dont want to get shafted into another job.

Anybody know anothing about Combat Rescue Officers? From what ive read most that join are have been officers in the service before. I doubt that would be available to me straight outta college.

Any insight you AF guys can give on the subject would be awesome. Thanks.

Joelvarine likes this.
  2. Jul 13, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    I am not a PJ but I am in the Rescue community as a gunner on the HH60G Pave Hawk and we work with J's on a regular basis. Here is my $.02.

You may think you know how hard it is...but it will be the hardest thing you have ever done. It is a TOUGH, TOUGH course!! It will test every fiber of your being...EVERY. These guys are tough and you need to have your head completely wrapped around the ideal of being a J.

If I were you, with bachelors, I would go the CRO (Combat Rescue Officer). They do basically the same stuff as the PJ's minus some of the intense medical training. As for where most CRO's come from, they come from within the PJ ranks and occasionally outside the career field. It is still a tough course.

The Rescue business is a very rewarding way to serve but is has some serious dangers that go along with it. This was highlighted last month when we lost a helicopter to ground fire. 4 were killed in the crash and one just died last week from injuries suffered from the crash. These guys were going to pick up a wounded British soldier...they lived the motto:

"That others may live"

3. Jul 13, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    Future55

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    Weathertech Mats, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Dry S CAI, TRD Exhaust, Access LE w/ Pop'n lock, 17" XD Revolvers, 285/70/17 Duratracs
    I would love to be involved in the rescue business, i cant imagine the feeling you must get after saving someones life. There really cant be anything greater.

Like i said, id be looking more into being a CRO with my degree and the obvious benefits of being an officer, but from what ive read, and like you said, most come from within. Being fresh outta college, i doubt i would stand a chance, especially with no prior experience.

4. Jul 14, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    Outsider

Outsider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB Tacoma Off-road Cement AT
    I wanted an MT.
    My friend who is now a Red Horse Civil Engineer in the USAF now, was in either PJ training, SER, or Combat Controller trainning, i don't know which, its been years since i have seen/talked to him. He said that the mental part was bad, the physical was bad too, but he washed out when they hit the pool, some type of water familiarity test, where they tie your air hoses in knots under water, mess up your air regularator, stuff like that. He said it was nasty hard. When i was in the AF, i was very physically fit, and had my head screwed on correctly, but me and water don't mix, i don't float, i sink, so i didn't even want to attempt it. I stuck with engineering while in the AF and had 6 very successful years of active duty and guard time. I would check with a recruiter about what happens if you wash out of training. If it were me, i would go the officer route, more opprotunities, more responsibility, more money, get treated better (long term after all training), etc. Kudos on even considering some of the hardest military training there is.

5. Jul 14, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    Hipster

Hipster Nothing beats a Butter Shave..

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC trd 4x4
    Billy's @ .85 w/ Eibachs front, TSB w/ 5100's rear + 1.5" AAL & shims, Debadged, Avid Bolt On Sliders, NFab Light Bar w/ (2) Lightforce 170's. Weathertechs, ATO bed bars.
    I'm not in the AF but I have two very good friends that work with the Rescue Squad here in Tucson. One is a Pave Hawk pilot and the other a flight engineer. Both speak very highly of PJ's and their abilities. "That others may live" is the true motto. Quick story: A little over a month ago a pave landed in Afghanistan for a pick up, as soon as they landed a PJ jumped out and immediately took a single round to his chest. sniper fire to his chest. The bullet shattered when impacting his chest plate and the shrapnel cut his face and his communications. I'm listening to the story thinking that he would jump back and and off they go. Not a chance, he stood back up, performed a quick check and off he went to do his duty. If you've ever seen their patch, it shows Elvis Presley with the slogan, "If he's out there, we will find him."

Keep doing good research and follow your dreams.

hip

6. Jul 17, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    hey buddy, shoot me any specific questions you might have, i'm pretty sure i can help you w/ most of them.

i was in the pararescue pipeline a little more than a year ago. graduated from indoc on team ballz 1, 2008.

long story short, a should injury i sustained at combat dive school eliminated me from training and i got and early separation due to medical. granted i was enlisted, alot of the training and such is very similar to the CRO course.

all i can say i start doing your research.

www.pararescue.com

www.specialtactics.com

you have to be more than 100% commited to this career field before you start training, other wise you wont make it for two reasons:

1. if you dont want it bad enough, the option to quit will exist for you and you'll take it. never quit. i was going to die, before i quit indoc

2. the pararescue moto is "these things we do, that others may live" you have to live that, because people's lives are going to depend on you and it's going to be your job to get them home. even if that means you have to give your life to accomplish that

research PJ's that have given their lives to save others. (and some that lived) reading their stories gives me goosebumps and brings back the rage that kills me that i never received my beret and allowed the opportunity to save a life.

jason cunningham (air force cross)

william h pitsenbarger (medal of honor recipiant)

thomas a newman (he was a cadre member while i was at indoc) (air force cross)

tim wilkinson (air force cross)

i hope this helps, and like i said, fire away w/ the questions man. i'm glad to help

7. Jul 17, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers

you might not have graduated with a beret, but your still bad ass in my book. i've seen the training they go through at indoc (our tech schools were side by side), and recall several times waking up to get ready for class thinking it was early as shit, and seeing a bunch of indoc guys come back from a run with that giant ass log or rope!

since then, i've personally been on halo missions watching them jump at altitude and fall to the bare minimum to open that chute! crazy stuff and mad respect. i feel totally reassured knowing that if i ever get shot down, that i got these bad asses coming in after me!:cool:

8. Jul 17, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    thanks buddy, when were you over at the 344th? i remember many times coming back from a long ass day and carrying the log on my shoulder and seeing you guys marching all over and doing uniform inspections and crap and i was glad i was getting smoked and doing doing that BS... haha

9. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    Future55

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    Appreciate the help fallas. Ive started to do a ton of research. I guess my main concern right now is whether or not to drop the idea of joining the Army as that comes sooner. Im about to graduate college, i dont want to throw away my degree to fail out of indoc/pipeline and work in another enlisted position. I would love to try for the CRO but like i said i feel a fresh officer isnt the prime pick for this position. I can tell you nothing would mean more to me than saving someones life. Id be willing to dedicate myself to that more than dedicating myself to Army infantry. I just dont want to enlist and end up screwing myself over.

10. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:51 PM
    Future55

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    One more thing, how do you get selected for AFSOC or ACC (correct?)? Is it based on your performance during the pipeline? where they need people? Or do you have a choice?

11. Jul 19, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    how are you going to know what you can accomplish if you dont try? dont be affraid to fail. just remember, never quit.

now, it is my understanding that the combat rescue officer position is not an entry level position in the AF, so you have to serve in the AF for 2 or so years before you can cross train into the CRO career field. CRO trainees basically have 2 indoc to go through. the have a selection course prior to going to indoc because it would look really bad to have officers quiting and failing evals at indoc w/ a bunch of you enlisted guys. you will be above grad standards by the time you get to indoc in san antonio. that doesn't mean it wont be hard, it just means you are already at the capacity to become a grad, and there is no reason you wont make it.

there is also the green to blue program, this is a cross over program that allows army personel to cross over into the AF and train in a different job. my indoc class had a major who did this, he was an appache pilot in the army and crossed over into the AF and became a CRO. he was a bad ass dude. look into that too, you could go army infantry and gain alot of great expereiance and training and give the CRO route a try a few years later down the road if you still want to.

it's your call, do what is going to make you happy. the AF is going to send you where they need you. you get to request where you would like to be stationed but in the end it's their call. for active duty there are only 4-5 bases in the US that have rescue wings, the majority of rescue wings are guard and reserve units.

let me know if you need more help :thumbsup:

12. Jul 27, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    It pretty much comes down to where they need u.

13. Jul 27, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    PnoyBOS5

PnoyBOS5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 PRERUNNER
    Maxtrac 4'' Spindes -Bilsteins 5100 @ 1.75" - All Pro Expo Leaf Pack - Extended Rear Shocks - PC 5001 wheels - 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs - Debadged -Red emblem - AFE Pro Dry-S Filter
    Respect to all the military!! i just got done watching a few videos of pj i had no idea they were the most elite in af , damn less than 1000 pjs!

in every branch, what is the most elite of the elite?

14. Jul 30, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    Taco Gunner

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Army Delta.

As for being the USAF's most elite..hmmmm.....we got a lot of SOF types that are "elite" TACP's, JTAC's, CCT....

15. Jul 30, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

I have the ultimate respect for the USAF PJs.

Saw PJs on jungle penetrators, drop into the heavy RVN jungle to make a rescue ... and sometimes they were under fire.

16. Jul 31, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    so, what happened to the OP?

17. Aug 4, 2010 at 6:05 AM
    Future55

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    Im here man, im here. I have no idea what to choose. Id rather bust my ass to save people then kill them, but the whole enlistment thing and not getting in is bothering me.

I have one year left to go in school, i can become and SMP Army cadet, go to LDAC after school and probably get into combat arms as an officer. Or i can enlist in the AF after school and pray that i am prepared and survive the pipeline, let alone INDOC.

The consequences of not making it through is the problem. I dont want to end up getting shafted if i dont make it, especially after going through college already.

I know i can always do Army and maybe come in as a CRO, but im not entirely sure i want to do that. Obviously i would take that over nothing, and its not out of the question, but PJs intrigue me a little more.

I have the make the decision soon, i need to start talking to some people with mad experience in the AF/military in general.

18. Aug 4, 2010 at 6:44 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    I don't know a lot about the PJ program, but I work on a Air Force base where a lot of this training takes place. They come to the base barber shop to get a high and tight and they look like serious young men on a mission. I mean young!
    Two things I do know are; PJs do things every day that would earn the Medal Of Honor for a regular grunt, and I never heard of Army Rangers having to go in and rescue a PJ. They are truly some of America's finest!

19. Aug 5, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    Taco Gunner

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    I personally know one PJ who was rescued by the Army.....after he went into rescue a SEAL (KIA) who went into provide overwatch for the Army.

Listen, I work with PJ's on a regular basis. They are good dudes for the most part and do some cool shit. Personally, while I respect their fortitude and abilities, to say they are above the 19 year old kicking in the door of some shithole in Afghanistan is simply not true. When the bullets start flying, I would find the nearest grunt, Ranger, SF (and NOT USAF Security Forces), Marine, TACP, JTAC, CCT.....and follow them. If I get wounded in the mix, I would want a combat medic to help me out. They ARE NOT trained killers with these mythical combat skills. They are, or at least, should be, the dude that ropes in to save your ass from a burning airplanes or hanging in some tree. If you think for one second they would send a couple of J's into some village to snatch a dude from the hands of Abu the Terrible, you would be wrong. They would leave that up to others with more up close and personal skills (SEAL, Delta...). They have medics among them.

PJ's are good at what they do....no doubt. The PR surrounding them is a bit much, and most of it comes from within. Now, how many times have you seen a Delta guy on TV giving interviews..RARELY. How many times have you heard of a Delta guy get killed...NEVER...it happens but they keep it quiet.

Again, much respect for my precious customers, the PJ's. Lets just keep things in perspective.

OP...look into the other USAF commissioned positions with the AFSOC community. Remember, if you are calling in an airstrike, you are saving lives....American lives. Bullets and band-aids can have the same end result.

20. Aug 5, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Okay. I stand corrected.

Products Discussed in

To Top