Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Need Some Help with my Son.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 72nd Security Forces, Tinker AFB
Name: William
wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Need Some Help with my Son.

This might seem strange, and please take no offense to what I am about to state and ask; but I am in need of some help with my son. He is in a few days away from 17 and hell bent on joining the military. His mom is fully against this, for the reasons most mothers are against. I am neutral to the entire subject, as a woman's scorn and all that jazz. Personally I was in the military, Air Force Security forces for a hair over 4 years (a little stop loss love). At this time he wants to go Army, be a ground pounder, as we use to call them- Again nothing wrong with infantry work. I would just prefer a different choice if he decided to do that, maybe mechanic, med tech, etc. You get my point.

Now for my request, I am the step dad, so any advice I provide is tainted in his eyes. It also no very little of the Army structure, so things might be very different between the two branches, besides their mission structure. I am wondering if someone so gracious could set-up a yahoo email account that I could pass to him and let him get the real story from others who have done it. I do not want someone to sale either point of view, just the straight bull from someone doing the work now.

Thanks for any help you might give.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
it may be a good idea for him.couldnt he learn a trade in the army?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmuncy View Post
This might seem strange, and please take on offense to what I am about to state and ask; but I am in need of some help with my son. He is in a few days and hell bent on joining the military. His mom is fully against this, for the reasons most mothers are against. I am neutral to the entire subject, as a woman's scorn and all that jazz. Personally I was in the military, Air Force Security forces for a hair over 4 years (a little stop loss love). At this time he wants to go Army, be a ground pounder, as we use to call them- Again nothing wrong with infantry work. I would just prefer a different choice if he decided to do that, maybe mechanic, med tech, etc. You get my point.

Now for my request, I am the step dad, so any advice I provide is tainted in his eyes. It also no very little of the Army structure, so things might be very different between the two branches, besides their mission structure. I am wondering if someone so gracious could set-up a yahoo email account that I could pass to him and let him get the real story from others who have done it. I do not want someone to sale either point of view, just the straight bull from someone doing the work now.

PM sent....
Old 07-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
Patrick is on a distinguished road
Patrick's Tacoma Gallery
he could learn a trade in the air force and not be a ground pounder
Old 07-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
ignorance is bliss,
tacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st MLG, 7th ESB,Alpha Co.
Name: Josh
tacoman007's Tacoma Gallery
best of the best USMC,where big boys play!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
I respect anyone who is or was in the military. Especially those who fought in a war. I have seen all kind of movies/ documentary's and don't see how they withstood it.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
doakes is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Civil Engineer
doakes's Tacoma Gallery
I think if you live near a couple of the different bases, take him to the public affairs office for a "Working tour". They will show him most of all the jobs. ASAF and Army have good public affairs offices. ASAF used to co-ordinate with recruiters for the tours. I did 6 actice with ASAF3 State Dept, and then 1 back ASAF for total of 10.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
One of the biggest perks I think, is that military service will always set you apart of other applicants for any job he applies for in the future.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
andrew is a jewel in the roughandrew is a jewel in the roughandrew is a jewel in the roughandrew is a jewel in the rough
andrew's Tacoma Gallery
Your son is very lucky to have someone that cares as much as you do about his future. Rep.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
wlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shedwlmuncy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you everyone. I hope that based on the proper advice he makes the best choice for his future.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #11
montgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53E Avionics Tech
Name: Lee
montgomery_30824's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to montgomery_30824
Marine Corps all the way. Just tell him to think about after he gets out. Pick a career field that he can get a good paying job when he gets out. Not really a need for grunts out in the civilian world.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
I've been retired for a while now, but I would really suggest he wait until he's 18 before enlisting. I know he can't do so without parental signatures, but it sounds as if he really needs to mature a little more, thus the suggestion he wait. Air Force basic is a lot different than it was when I went through, and Army basic is also very different from what it was years ago. All branches want young men, but they also want them to be mature enough to put aside their own desires and accept the training they are given. If he's not ready to do that, he's not ready for military service. I know that a lot of older military members (including me), tell the younger people that the military builds character and respect for others, but they have to be willing to accept their training. I really don't think a 17 year old is actually ready to accept that commitment.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe suggest ROTC, get him through college, graduate with a degree and go into the Army as an officer. His mother might be more open to that option also.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #14
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueLeader View Post
I've been retired for a while now, but I would really suggest he wait until he's 18 before enlisting. I know he can't do so without parental signatures, but it sounds as if he really needs to mature a little more, thus the suggestion he wait. Air Force basic is a lot different than it was when I went through, and Army basic is also very different from what it was years ago. All branches want young men, but they also want them to be mature enough to put aside their own desires and accept the training they are given. If he's not ready to do that, he's not ready for military service. I know that a lot of older military members (including me), tell the younger people that the military builds character and respect for others, but they have to be willing to accept their training. I really don't think a 17 year old is actually ready to accept that commitment.

Hi,

well as a 23 year old who made my parents sign the papers necessary soon after turning 17 I'd say it's his choice with compliance of his parents of course.

If you or your wife wish against it it will still give him more than enough time I'm sure for him to make his own decision until he's old enough to make his own decision.

I turned 18 when I was in bootcamp and to this day I can proudly say that I would do it all over again, even if I new ahead of time what kind of bull sh!^ I would go through.

I got out this past January (2010) and I'm going to school full time, on Uncle Sam's dime of course

I also had a job that was useless to me in the civilian world, but I kinda got screwed from the very beginning by my recruiter (damn him) but like I said I wouldn't change a thing. I got to go to places I NEVER thought I would ever visit. I'm sure most of you military peeps can say the same thing.

The experience alone is well worth it. It has made me who I am today, and with out the discipline that I acquaired while I was in I think I would never have been ready for college.

I mean no offense to you Rogueleader but I was ready for the commitment.

I had the guts (or was dumb enough ) to shout out orders to the recruits while doing drill that the Drill Instructors made me squad leader in the 1st phase of bootcamp. (of course my recruiter said I had the potential so I proved him right) haha.

Soon after graduation began the road to the unkown, the road to achieve a personal conquest, of good times, good experience and most of all the goal to get the hell back out of the Marine Corps and become a nasty civilian again haha. Jk on the last part, but over all it was the best decision of my life so far.

I wish your step son the best of luck in what ever decision he makes.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #15
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Maybe suggest ROTC, get him through college, graduate with a degree and go into the Army as an officer. His mother might be more open to that option also.
x2...ROTC is an outstanding way to go. Sounds like he's gung-ho and wants to join the fighting, so to speak. I think he needs to understand it is not as glorified as it appears on TV. That's not to say it isn't a good fit for him, and he may be very good at his job, but I agree with other posters: he may need to mature a little, do some research, and make a fully educated decision about his future. It's nice to hear you're open and willing to help him do that...I was an AF officer, so I can't provide many specifics about the Army enlisted corps.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #16
If I had a hammer...
XSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedXSB41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 1/327th 101st ABN
Name: Rik
XSB41's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by montgomery_30824 View Post
Marine Corps all the way. Just tell him to think about after he gets out. Pick a career field that he can get a good paying job when he gets out. Not really a need for grunts out in the civilian world.
BINGO...good advice...(career field at least) grunts carry a lot of good/bad memories/physical pain w/ them for life, and when all is said and done, in my opinion, it's the most agonizing yet fulfilling experience in the service, but like the Marine stated, one needs to think ahead and plan for the future,as hard as it may be in youth...my advice is as above...
Old 07-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #17
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmuncy View Post
This might seem strange, and please take no offense to what I am about to state and ask; but I am in need of some help with my son. He is in a few days away from 17 and hell bent on joining the military. His mom is fully against this, for the reasons most mothers are against. I am neutral to the entire subject, as a woman's scorn and all that jazz. Personally I was in the military, Air Force Security forces for a hair over 4 years (a little stop loss love). At this time he wants to go Army, be a ground pounder, as we use to call them- Again nothing wrong with infantry work. I would just prefer a different choice if he decided to do that, maybe mechanic, med tech, etc. You get my point.

PM sent again...I got a bad email address from you....
Old 07-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #18

wlmuncy's Tacoma Gallery
All good now. We will not let him go until he is 18. His mother will not agree to any paper signing. So my real goal is for him to see the real side of the military. As many have stated, it will build character; and personally I believe I can thank my years of service to my country for where I am in life. Still I was what I call a tweener (between major conflicts) and other than some rough times in the Gulf, really saw nothing that kids are seeing right now.

Again, thank you all and I will hope he makes the best choice for himself, once he has all the facts.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:40 PM   #19
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
If it were my son I'd ask him to seek out some vets and active duty members of the Army and interview them. Get opinions of people that have or are there. Information is everything. I'd never try to talk my son out of serving but I'd want him to make his decision based on information and education.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 AM   #20
FO.STUNNA.505 is on a distinguished road

Army: Rock of the Marne
Name: Daniel
FO.STUNNA.505's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottri View Post
If it were my son I'd ask him to seek out some vets and active duty members of the Army and interview them. Get opinions of people that have or are there. Information is everything. I'd never try to talk my son out of serving but I'd want him to make his decision based on information and education.
well you have both right here! currently enjoying the beautiful 128 degree weather!
20 y/o SPC Army Medic Baghdad, IR
as a medic ive been able to do it all, a little bit of "ground pound" with the line, work in the medical center and ive had the chance to be an unofficial flight medic (i have the school when i get back)
couldnt be happier with my career choice, as it was what i wanted from the get go.
being a soldier is one of the most rewarding feelings as long as youre the type to take pride in what you stand for... as everyone who puts this uniform on should.

if your boy needs some advice, i have nothing to sell and only the truth to speak. PM me for more