Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Should I display my Blue Star banner?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
Should I display my Blue Star banner?

My youngest son went active duty last month and is on the Mexican border with the National Guard (he's Air Guard). He will be there 'till next June, but could drive home in a few hours if the command let him. So, should I put up my Blue Star banner or is that only for sons and daughters in a combat zone? The Blue Star Mothers gave it to us during his second deployment to Iraq. I don't wanna' be disrespectful of families with kids that are really being shot at.
I would like to hear from members with sons and daughters serving our country and from my fellow vets.
Display the Blue Star banner 'till he comes home or am I being a overly proud doofus (which I am anyway)?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
I am not really sure what the etiquette is, but there is nothing wrong with being proud.

My Dad drove a tank in the Battle of the Bulge and I am very proud of him for that- Though he never talks about it. I guess seeing things at age 17 (he lied about his age) that would turn our stomachs makes you like that.

I am just glad that some people are willing to do this so the rest of us never have to.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
Dedicated Crew Chief
AKTacoma has a spectacular aura aboutAKTacoma has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chris
AKTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Don't think that there is anything wrong with you putting it up. I understand why you feel reserved about it, but no one is going to judge you because your son isn't in Afghanistan or wherever. He's doing his part and serving his country, that's something that no one can take away from him, or you! You're not being an overly proud doofus by any means. Thanks for your service as well as your son's!
Old 09-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
Hams98 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Surface Warfare Officer, Pentagon
Name: Bryan
Hams98's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely let it fly. He's still doing what a lot of Americans choose not to do, and that's serve his country.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
usmcmax is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Andrew
usmcmax's Tacoma Gallery
X2
Old 09-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
my dad displays his, even though both his kids are in non-deployable statuses at this time...nothing wrong with being proud
Old 09-13-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
maju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaju is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Retired
maju's Tacoma Gallery
Display it.

The Service flag is an official banner authorized by the Department of Defense for display by families who have members serving in the Armed Forces during any period of war or hostilities the United States may be engaged in for the duration of such hostilities.

The Department of Defense specifies that family members authorized to display the flag include the wife, husband, mother, father, stepmother or father, parent through adoption, foster parents, children, stepchildren, children through adoption, brothers, sisters and half brothers or sisters of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States. The flag should be displayed in a window of the residence of persons authorized.

The Service flag may also be displayed by an organization to honor the members of that organization serving during a period of war or hostilities.
The Service Flag is an indoor flag and should be flown facing out from the front window of the home or organization.

If the U.S. flag is also displayed with the Service flag, the U.S. flag should be of equal or greater proportions and should take the place of honor above the Service flag.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thank you fellers'. The large banner is going up in the front window and the small banner is going up over my desk at work! Plus I'm gonna' get a Blue Star magnet for the truck and the wife's car.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:35 AM   #13
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
If he is deployed and serving I would say let it fly.
x2
Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
let'r fly
Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #15
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Another vote for fly it.
Post pics!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #16
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
fly it!!!

the air guard needs him there, so thats where he went... it wasn't his choice... he's just doing his job
Old 10-05-2010, 03:19 AM   #17
JoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud ofJoePa Fan has much to be proud of

Air Force: Retired MSgt
Name: Whip
JoePa Fan's Tacoma Gallery
I believe the "proper ettiquette" is to display only when your son/daughter is in a combat zone, however, I still display mine, which has 2 blue stars, from when my sons were in Iraq and Afghanistan. I share similar feelings as others, show your pride, let it fly.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:11 AM   #18
Senior Citizen
MT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant future

Air Force: Telecomm Tech
MT Madman's Tacoma Gallery
From the reports I've read and heard you could consider the SW border hostile, here's what I could find on it plus the link and more info:

A service flag approved by the Secretary of Defense may be displayed in a window of the place of residence of individuals who are members of the immediate family of an individual serving in the Armed Forces of the United States during any period of war or hostilities in which the Armed Forces of the United States are engaged.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/famil...flags.-uMh.htm
Old 10-05-2010, 04:18 AM   #19
theflyingtosher is just really nicetheflyingtosher is just really nicetheflyingtosher is just really nicetheflyingtosher is just really nice

Law Enforcement: Federale
Name: Tosh
theflyingtosher's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to theflyingtosher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I wouldn't say your son is in an area where he won't "really" get shot at. He's got just as much chance of something happen as some of the deployed forces in Iraq/Afganistan...

I say hang it and be proud!!

amen to that
Old 10-06-2010, 02:50 AM   #20

My son can home last weekend, saw the Blue Star decals on the car and truck and asked "what's that for"? I said "for you dumb ass".