1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I display my Blue Star banner?

Discussion in 'Military' started by tacomathom, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Sep 8, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    tacomathom

tacomathom [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    My youngest son went active duty last month and is on the Mexican border with the National Guard (he's Air Guard). He will be there 'till next June, but could drive home in a few hours if the command let him. So, should I put up my Blue Star banner or is that only for sons and daughters in a combat zone? The Blue Star Mothers gave it to us during his second deployment to Iraq. I don't wanna' be disrespectful of families with kids that are really being shot at.
    I would like to hear from members with sons and daughters serving our country and from my fellow vets.
    Display the Blue Star banner 'till he comes home or am I being a overly proud doofus (which I am anyway)?

2. Sep 8, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    I am not really sure what the etiquette is, but there is nothing wrong with being proud.

My Dad drove a tank in the Battle of the Bulge and I am very proud of him for that- Though he never talks about it. I guess seeing things at age 17 (he lied about his age) that would turn our stomachs makes you like that.

I am just glad that some people are willing to do this so the rest of us never have to.

3. Sep 10, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    AKTacoma

AKTacoma Dedicated Crew Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houma, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DCLB
    Don't think that there is anything wrong with you putting it up. I understand why you feel reserved about it, but no one is going to judge you because your son isn't in Afghanistan or wherever. He's doing his part and serving his country, that's something that no one can take away from him, or you! You're not being an overly proud doofus by any means. Thanks for your service as well as your son's!

4. Sep 10, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I wouldn't say your son is in an area where he won't "really" get shot at. He's got just as much chance of something happen as some of the deployed forces in Iraq/Afganistan...

I say hang it and be proud!!

5. Sep 10, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    If he is deployed and serving I would say let it fly.

6. Sep 13, 2010 at 5:03 PM
    Hams98

Hams98 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Alexandria, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner
    K&N RAM Air Intake Altezza Tail lights
    Definitely let it fly. He's still doing what a lot of Americans choose not to do, and that's serve his country.

7. Sep 13, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    usmcmax

usmcmax Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Okinawa/Virginia
    None yet.
  8. Sep 13, 2010 at 5:15 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    my dad displays his, even though both his kids are in non-deployable statuses at this time...nothing wrong with being proud

9. Sep 13, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    maju

maju Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Silver TRD Sport 4x4
    Undercover tonneau, Scangauge II, Garmin GPS, Michelin LTX M/S2
    Display it.

The Service flag is an official banner authorized by the Department of Defense for display by families who have members serving in the Armed Forces during any period of war or hostilities the United States may be engaged in for the duration of such hostilities.

The Department of Defense specifies that family members authorized to display the flag include the wife, husband, mother, father, stepmother or father, parent through adoption, foster parents, children, stepchildren, children through adoption, brothers, sisters and half brothers or sisters of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States. The flag should be displayed in a window of the residence of persons authorized.

The Service flag may also be displayed by an organization to honor the members of that organization serving during a period of war or hostilities.
    The Service Flag is an indoor flag and should be flown facing out from the front window of the home or organization.

If the U.S. flag is also displayed with the Service flag, the U.S. flag should be of equal or greater proportions and should take the place of honor above the Service flag.

10. Sep 13, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    tacomathom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Thank you fellers'. The large banner is going up in the front window and the small banner is going up over my desk at work! Plus I'm gonna' get a Blue Star magnet for the truck and the wife's car.

11. Sep 13, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I have to agree with everyone, I would hang it with pride. :bowdown:

12. Sep 16, 2010 at 3:58 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Display it proudly!

13. Sep 16, 2010 at 4:35 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    x2

14. Sep 16, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    let'r fly

15. Sep 16, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Another vote for fly it.
    Post pics!

16. Sep 21, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    fly it!!!

the air guard needs him there, so thats where he went... it wasn't his choice... he's just doing his job

17. Oct 5, 2010 at 3:19 AM
    JoePa Fan

JoePa Fan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Whip
    Stoney Creek Mills, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 T/X Pro TRD Black
    CAT back performance exhaust, Bilstein shocks, window vent visors, Access LE tonneau cover, Pop N Lock tailgate lock, TRD beadlock alloy wheels, TRD valve stem covers, tube steps
    I believe the "proper ettiquette" is to display only when your son/daughter is in a combat zone, however, I still display mine, which has 2 blue stars, from when my sons were in Iraq and Afghanistan. I share similar feelings as others, show your pride, let it fly.

18. Oct 6, 2010 at 2:50 AM
    tacomathom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    My son can home last weekend, saw the Blue Star decals on the car and truck and asked "what's that for"? I said "for you dumb ass".

19. Oct 6, 2010 at 4:57 AM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    From what I have seen lately, the Mexican drug cartels have as much fire-power as the Afghanis or Iraqis. The main difference is that they don't want to provoke confrontation. Does not mean that they would not put up a fight if caught in the open.

20. Oct 6, 2010 at 5:00 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Dats love right there.....LMAO!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top