Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

im goin into the army...advice?

Old 09-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #41
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemike View Post
The Corps picks the man... we don't want your pussy ass anyway.

Pound sand. And keep hoping for that ROTC scholarship.

Recon!
aint no need to get all fuckin up tight about it.....i simply stated a question about ARMY ROTC...not USMC recon or nuthin like that i respect each and every branch and know they all work hard to serve our country.....air force would also be a good choice for me due to my high GPA.....the corps just is not practical for me.......i have had many generations of family in the army and i would like to continue the tradition. if you have a problem with that you can fuck off hoah
Old 09-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #42
Trigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud ofTrigger has much to be proud of
Trigger's Tacoma Gallery
Join the UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS

Jk man do what you wanan do. Best of luck.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #43
Shack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lane
Shack's Tacoma Gallery
In the army? My advice:

1) Dont drop the soap.
2) Dont ask dont tell.

Good luck man, at least go combat arms.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #44
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

thanks haha
Old 09-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack View Post
In the army? My advice:

1) Dont drop the soap.
2) Dont ask dont tell.

Good luck man, at least go combat arms.
what is combat arms...i dont know if i am familiar with that one?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

i would like to fly a heli or be a enginier or something...maybe even a mechanic
Old 09-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #47
Shack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lane
Shack's Tacoma Gallery
11-Infantry, 13-Field Artillery, 14-Air Defense Artillery, 15-some Aviation, 18-Special Forces, 19-Armor, 21-Engineer

This is not all of them but is most of them.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #48
danding is on a distinguished road
Air Force: ROTC DET. 310 LSU
Name: Daniel
danding's Tacoma Gallery
ROTC all the way man. I'm doing AFROTC right now. I applied for a scholarship out of high school and got a full scholarship to go to school. If you have any questions feel free to PM.

And as for officers out of ROTC getting no respect, I have seen this proven wrong on many occasions. It has nothing to do with how you were commissioned, it has everything to do with how you treat your people and how you lead. IMHO.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #49

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack View Post
11-Infantry, 13-Field Artillery, 14-Air Defense Artillery, 15-some Aviation, 18-Special Forces, 19-Armor, 21-Engineer

This is not all of them but is most of them.
oh hahaha duh i knew this....yes i am looking into aviation engineer and special forces.....i would like to fly for special forces but who knows.....i would just like to serve my beautiful country.....
Old 09-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by danding View Post
ROTC all the way man. I'm doing AFROTC right now. I applied for a scholarship out of high school and got a full scholarship to go to school. If you have any questions feel free to PM.

And as for officers out of ROTC getting no respect, I have seen this proven wrong on many occasions. It has nothing to do with how you were commissioned, it has everything to do with how you treat your people and how you lead. IMHO.
thats cool man you go to lsu?
Old 09-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #51
Showin' HAWG how it's done!
ApacheDriver has a brilliant futureApacheDriver has a brilliant futureApacheDriver has a brilliant futureApacheDriver has a brilliant futureApacheDriver has a brilliant futureApacheDriver has a brilliant futureApacheDriver has a brilliant futureApacheDriver has a brilliant futureApacheDriver has a brilliant futureApacheDriver has a brilliant futureApacheDriver has a brilliant future

Army: AH-64D Apache Pilot
Name: Z
ApacheDriver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestaco View Post
MOS .....i plan on something like engineering or Hopefully a heli pilot or some kind of mechanic.......im trying to avoid infantry but if i have to ill do it as well
I like your desire to be an aviator! If you want any kind of flight time I'd go Warrant Officer over Commissioned O. We (warrants) get a lot more flight time than O's because we can 'track' a specific aviation path (maintenance test, Instructor pilot...) The Lt's get put into a company PL (platoon leader) job at their first unit after flight school and work their way up from company to battalion, to brigade... From what I've gathered, they seem to be immersed in administrative duties and only fly to maintain minimum required flight time/currency. Of course, when you're the new guy after flight school as a WO1, you'll get the 'less-desirable' duties, ie...supply, safety, FOD, UMO, stock the fridge, etc.

As for WOCS, it's an arduous process that takes extreme patience dealing with 'have-been' aviators who are disgusted with your sock-folding ability and failure to work as a 98 person team on waxing a hallway Warrant Officer school was, well, you'll see if you go...

Flight school was a great experience! I flew with civilians who had more flight time than an African Swallow! One being an old Israeli Cobra pilot that made a TH-67 do things I wouldn't even try in my Apache It took a little over two years to complete (day 1 of WOCS - FSXXI graduation). I've never studied so much in my whole life as I did for those two years...and still do to this day.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2010, 04:05 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheDriver View Post
I like your desire to be an aviator! If you want any kind of flight time I'd go Warrant Officer over Commissioned O. We (warrants) get a lot more flight time than O's because we can 'track' a specific aviation path (maintenance test, Instructor pilot...) The Lt's get put into a company PL (platoon leader) job at their first unit after flight school and work their way up from company to battalion, to brigade... From what I've gathered, they seem to be immersed in administrative duties and only fly to maintain minimum required flight time/currency. Of course, when you're the new guy after flight school as a WO1, you'll get the 'less-desirable' duties, ie...supply, safety, FOD, UMO, stock the fridge, etc.

As for WOCS, it's an arduous process that takes extreme patience dealing with 'have-been' aviators who are disgusted with your sock-folding ability and failure to work as a 98 person team on waxing a hallway Warrant Officer school was, well, you'll see if you go...

Flight school was a great experience! I flew with civilians who had more flight time than an African Swallow! One being an old Israeli Cobra pilot that made a TH-67 do things I wouldn't even try in my Apache It took a little over two years to complete (day 1 of WOCS - FSXXI graduation). I've never studied so much in my whole life as I did for those two years...and still do to this day.

Good luck!

these remind me of my grandfathers stories....he flew a huey for 2 tours in vietnam and he flew a cobra but was to tall and wide sholders so he barley fit hahaha
Old 09-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #53
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
Keep your head down, and don't be a hero. Good luck in you career path, I think they are all good choices.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #54
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery

If you want to be a rotary wing aviator, I agree with ApacheDriver on WOCS. The WOs in the Army are excellent pilots.

IN RVN, the Army had a program that was basically, 18 y/o, HS education & you could fly helicopters as a WO.

Because the Army had a good screening program, the younger pilots (mostly without families) would take chances that others would not.
The Army was the only branch that could make that program work well.

Good luck and ask lots of questions to everybody and ... IMO, the military is a great place to spend 20+ years to get some excellent lifetime bennies.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post

If you want to be a rotary wing aviator, I agree with ApacheDriver on WOCS. The WOs in the Army are excellent pilots.

IN RVN, the Army had a program that was basically, 18 y/o, HS education & you could fly helicopters as a WO.

Because the Army had a good screening program, the younger pilots (mostly without families) would take chances that others would not.
The Army was the only branch that could make that program work well.

Good luck and ask lots of questions to everybody and ... IMO, the military is a great place to spend 20+ years to get some excellent lifetime bennies.
wait are you sayin that if they were to screen me for wocs and i was familyless it would be harder for me to fly....cause needless to say...im familyless haha
Old 09-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #56
danding is on a distinguished road
Air Force: ROTC DET. 310 LSU
Name: Daniel
danding's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thats cool man you go to lsu?
yea, I go to LSU. We have pretty awesome ROTC programs here.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by danding View Post
yea, I go to LSU. We have pretty awesome ROTC programs here.
thats awsome man im hopin to get into vcu or some other large school....im doing dual inrollment at a comunity college to finish up highschool and start college in the same year
Old 09-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #59
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
wait are you sayin that if they were to screen me for wocs and i was familyless it would be harder for me to fly....cause needless to say...im familyless haha

No, what I was saying was ... "people in general without families (wife & kids) tend to be a little more adventurous in dangerous or combat situations".

Old 09-23-2010, 04:50 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsikotic View Post
You Can do this in the Marines. Just a thought.
hahaha nooooo way bro i hate roller coaster...im shur i would hate that....but one ride before i die wouldnt be bad...then again thats what she said hahahaha sorry i had to say it