Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Russian aircraft buzz Navy ship twice in Arctic

Old 09-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery

By ANNE FLAHERTY
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Pentagon officials say two Russian aircraft buzzed a U.S. Navy warship in the Arctic's Barents Sea last week, each coming within about 50 yards of the frigate.
Flybys of Navy ships in international waters are not unheard of. But the Cold War-style incident was unusual enough to raise eyebrows.
Pentagon spokesman Col. Dave Lapan said Navy personnel aboard the ship did not believe the actions were hostile. He told reporters on Friday that the U.S. was still trying to determine whether either side broke protocol.
Lapan said a Russian maritime patrol aircraft on Sept. 10 flew about 50 yards off the Navy frigate's side, as low as 100 feet. Lapan said a Russian helicopter did the same thing the next day.
© 2010
Old 09-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Are those frigates armed with Sea Wiz??
Old 09-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Shoot them down!!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Probably just sayin "Hi"......
Old 09-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Probably just sayin "Hi"......
Yea the pilots probably just watched Top Gun for the first time.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07trd4x4 View Post
Shoot them down!!!!
x2^^^^^^^^^
Old 09-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotacrawler View Post
Yea the pilots probably just watched Top Gun for the first time.
lol

Yeah I guess these guys are just bored......
Old 09-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Haahaahaaa!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
She's got the jimmy legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
I don't know if that's a good idea...

Russia Vs. U.S.A

Their guy

Our guy
LOL! Good Point!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, that's some extreme biking he's doing. Very dangerous, the secret service needs to keep an eye on him! lol
Old 09-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #12

Ok that is scary!!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
Don't go off ninjin
TacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: AMMO
Name: Daniel
TacomaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Hahahahah nice comparison. i lol'd for sure
Old 09-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
It's a common occurance in the gulf with Iranian boats and planes. We didn't see em again after a gun shoot we had on one of the boats when then flew over
This is from said gun shoot, I'm 4th one down
Old 09-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
A shit storm would come about if they were shot at.

If they meant harm then it would have happened already.

Idk if Russia has war ships, but if they don't them maybe they just wanted to see one?

......our president ...
Old 09-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #16
Proud to be Awesome
Twiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwiget is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: U.S.S. San Jacinto (CG-56)
Twiget's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotacrawler View Post
Are those frigates armed with Sea Wiz??
It's CIWS (Close In Weapons System), and most every ship in the Navy has at least one. Every combatant ship I've ever seen has at least two, including FFG's.

This kind of reminds me of a story from when I was in the Navy, back in '96. I was on my first deployment and we met up with Russia's only fixed wing aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov for a Search and Rescue drill. It was one of the first joint exercises between the US and Russian navies since the end of the Cold War, and the first joint SAR exercise between us.

After the exercise about 50 of the Russian sailors came over for dinner, and we sent about the same number over to the carrier for dinner. All in all, it was a good experience. The Russians seemed to be very impressed with my ship, the USS San Jacinto.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #17
She's got the jimmy legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiget View Post
It's CIWS (Close In Weapons System), and most every ship in the Navy has at least one. Every combatant ship I've ever seen has at least two, including FFG's.

This kind of reminds me of a story from when I was in the Navy, back in '96. I was on my first deployment and we met up with Russia's only fixed wing aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov for a Search and Rescue drill. It was one of the first joint exercises between the US and Russian navies since the end of the Cold War, and the first joint SAR exercise between us.

After the exercise about 50 of the Russian sailors came over for dinner, and we sent about the same number over to the carrier for dinner. All in all, it was a good experience. The Russians seemed to be very impressed with my ship, the USS San Jacinto.
Aren't CIWS usually used for incoming Anti Ship missles or can they be used for Anti Aircraft as well?
Old 09-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #18
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

CGs are bad ass, sucks you're in VA though...well just Norfolk really
Old 09-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #19
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

They are removing the CIWS from the FFG's most only have 1 if any ... the FFG's are on their way out. They only carry defensive weapons these days, small arms, and smaller caliber machine guns. That FFG probably could not have shot down those aircraft even if it wanted too
Old 09-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #20
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
I'm fairly certain they didn't just pop up out of nowhere. Due to their approach angle, rate of closure and weapons signature, they ship knew they weren't a threat.

Unless one of the pilots decided to go all Kamikaze, they were just taking a peek and/or saying hi.

Undoubtedly, there was an entire battery targeted on them continuously once they popped up on the scopes. Should a weapons system have been activated, things would have ended very swiftly and explodey for a couple of Ruskies.