1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scottsdale man who posed as Marine gets 7.5 years in prison

Discussion in 'Military' started by Packman73, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:24 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 [OP] ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!

:thumbsup:

A Scottsdale man who posed as a highly decorated Marine for several years was sentenced Tuesday to 7 1/2 years in prison, according to the Arizona Attorney General's Office.
    John W. Rodriguez, 31 was sentenced in Maricopa Country Superior Court on charges of forgery, fraudulent schemes and presentation of a false instrument for filing. Along with prison time, the sentence includes four years of probation upon his release.
    Between 2005 and 2010, Rodriguez falsely represented himself as a Marine who was honored with a variety of prestigious medals, according to Molly E. Edwards, press secretary for the Arizona Attorney General's Office.
    Dan Ryan, a former Marine and FBI agent, first came in contact with Rodriguez at a Republican committee meeting in 2008. He noticed Rodriguez wearing a service uniform with some of the military branch's highest honors, including the Navy Cross. The Navy Cross is the second highest award for Marines and sailors.
    "My first reaction was, 'This guy's a stud,' " Ryan said. "Then I looked a little more and thought, 'Something's going on here.' I'm very, very sensitive about the Navy Cross. I happen to have written one of the citations for the Marine who was killed right next to me in 1967 in Vietnam in a firefight."
    Ryan decided to look into Rodriguez's background. After doing some research, Ryan alerted investigators at the Arizona Department of Public Safety.
    A search of Department of the Navy and Department of Defense records found that Rodriguez never served in any branch of the military.
    Within a year, the Arizona Department of Public Safety had this to report: Rodriguez, 31, was never in the Marines but had spent years passing himself off as a war hero who had served in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to the Arizona Attorney General's Office.
    He gained access to military bases, received discounted airline tickets, went to the Marine Corps Ball and briefly acquired a job with a local health-care provider that gave him access to sensitive information on veterans.
    He also signed documents claiming to be on active duty and listed military status when he tried to gain employment.
    Rodriguez's temporary work at TriWest Healthcare Alliance concerned investigators because he could have accessed confidential information on thousands of veterans.
    "This guy is such a good con man that he has trained with the local Marine Corps unit here. . . . He got in Camp Pendleton in San Diego with his ID," DPS Detective Roger Wilson said. "We started kind of considering this as domestic terrorism. NCIS (Naval Criminal Investigative Service) was very concerned. From that point on, the level of awareness was heightened."
    Rodriguez flew from Arizona to California on May 28, 2009, after the Department of Public Safety and Department of Defense conducted an investigation of his claims.
    Investigators searched the home where Rodriguez had been staying and found numerous Marine Corps uniforms, insignia, medals, ribbons and receipts for their purchase.
    They were also able to find flight information that helped them determine that Rodriguez would be returning on June 10, 2009. On that day, Rodriguez found officers waiting for him at the airport, where he was arrested.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...fake-marine-sentenced-abrk.html#ixzz11Wu8EMDX

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/artic...fake-marine-sentenced-abrk.html#ixzz11WtrFF00

2. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

I hope they keep his azz in jail FOREVER ... thanks for the post.

3. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Lock his @ss up for life!

Kinda scares me what he was able to do, and get access to.

4. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    meckleystephen

meckleystephen My Taco is Bi-Winning!!!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
    3 Inch Toytec lift,Blacked out badges
    give him the chair what a POS!!!!!

5. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    x2

And to think we have to share our air with pieces of shit like this...I hope he's somebodies bitch in prison! :cool:

Fuck that guy!

6. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Damn, you out did me on my comment. lol

I'll change my previous comment to death, by firing squad. :infantry:

7. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    meckleystephen

meckleystephen My Taco is Bi-Winning!!!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
    3 Inch Toytec lift,Blacked out badges
    :rofl: There have been alot of cases of this latley. I read about them all the time in the marine corps times

8. Oct 5, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

Here is one that was caught in Cobb County GA and he was the PSD (Public Safety Director) Super Chief over all fire dept & police dept (big dept too) and he has had other high profile LEO jobs.

He was accused of SUPER exaggerating his military record ... and this to me is almost as bad ... I mean SUPER, SUPER exaggerating too (especially if you read all the stories on him).

He was allowed to retire even after he gave the county forged military records (i.e. DD-214). This is a guy who was a top LEO (with several depts) in GA.

He still continues to say he was things that he was not ... STILL. .... :eek:

And NO, he was not on a secret mission either .... lol ... :D

Just google him and you will find some wild stuff .. this is just a starter link to the stories on him.

Link ---> http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story.aspx?storyid=148343

9. Oct 5, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    X2!

10. Oct 8, 2010 at 6:18 AM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    I liked the way he turned a picture of himself getting promoted into an award ceremony for a Silver Star.

Hey, here's a picture of me getting my Silver Star.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top