Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

USAF Officer positions?

Old 10-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
♥ Emergency Medicine
m0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: B.S, NREMT
m0nster986's Tacoma Gallery
USAF Officer positions?

I shall be completing my BS in Emergency Medical Care within a year. Civilian jobs include EMT, paramedics, and healthcare management positions. I have been talking to a couple recruiters regarding officer positions in the USAF reserves. I have been informed that since this degree that is not considered a "professional" degree (e.g dentist, physician, or nurse) I cannot become an officer and will have to go enlisted but with a higher rank? What happened to the service being able to link you up with any job you want? Are my recruiter bad recruiters or should I look into another branch of military? I need some guidance please.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
they don't have officer positions for EMTs... thats why
Old 10-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
they don't have officer positions for EMTs... thats why
There is no garantee that I've every heard of that says you can do anything you want in the military. They will work with you- to an extent. But there are rules about what qulaifications are required for certain jobs. In this case- their explanation sounds pretty reasonable to me. Not sure if it's true or not...but at least it makes sense.

Right now- None of the military services are in a huge NEED for people. The fact that they are talking to you about maybe an advanced rank or a slot at all is a good sign. The Coast Guard has closed out recruiting for the year IIRC...

If you really want to be in the military- Work with them to get where you want. If you really want a job that fits your degree- probably going to need to look somewhere else.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nster986 View Post
I shall be completing my BS in Emergency Medical Care within a year. Civilian jobs include EMT, paramedics, and healthcare management positions. I have been talking to a couple recruiters regarding officer positions in the USAF reserves. I have been informed that since this degree that is not considered a "professional" degree (e.g dentist, physician, or nurse) I cannot become an officer and will have to go enlisted but with a higher rank? What happened to the service being able to link you up with any job you want? Are my recruiter bad recruiters or should I look into another branch of military? I need some guidance please.
these are enlisted jobs in the military... medics, corpsman, etc

now healthcare management officer tends to be those with professional degrees... nurse practitioners, PA, etc

if you want to be an officer in the military and be in the medical field look into nursing, Physicians assistant, or doctor

otherwise consider not being an officer or not being in the medical field
Old 10-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
♥ Emergency Medicine
m0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: B.S, NREMT
m0nster986's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
There is no garantee that I've every heard of that says you can do anything you want in the military. They will work with you- to an extent. But there are rules about what qulaifications are required for certain jobs. In this case- their explanation sounds pretty reasonable to me. Not sure if it's true or not...but at least it makes sense.

Right now- None of the military services are in a huge NEED for people. The fact that they are talking to you about maybe an advanced rank or a slot at all is a good sign. The Coast Guard has closed out recruiting for the year IIRC...

If you really want to be in the military- Work with them to get where you want. If you really want a job that fits your degree- probably going to need to look somewhere else.
If I am open to ANY officer positions available that does not fit my degree would that even be possible?

Thanks guys
Old 10-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
If I am open to ANY officer positions available that does not fit my degree would that even be possible?

Thanks guys
I can't tell you and I don't know alot about your degree program...so I can't be sure. But my guess is there is a job out there somewhere for you. You might have to work with the recruiters extra hard to get it.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
too many clowns, not enough circuses.
daftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the sheddaftcon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: François Dillinger
daftcon's Tacoma Gallery
i would look into this a little further if i were you. i'm not saying don't trust this guy, i'm saying trust but verify. is this guy a recruiter for officers or enlisted? because they are two totally different entities. i'm not asking is the recruiter himself enlisted or officer, but what side of the spectrum he is working for. because if he's trying to sell you enlisted slots, then you might want to take yourself to a recruiter for officers.

i do know that not every officer in the AF holds a job that directly pertains to their degree. that being said, they do try and match the two up as best possible. it is true the military is not hurting for people, but there are ALWAYS training slots and positions that need to be filled. so you definitely have a chance if you continue to have the drive.

and might i say what an excellent choice you've made in wanting to go BLUE!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
dexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security Forces
dexdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
maybe take your degree and training and look into nursing. my bro-in-law graduated from Maryland with 4 year nursing degree and went into Army as lieutenant. he is now a Capt and they paid for off all his student loans, well over $50 grand.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.goarmy.com/amedd.html
Army Medical Services?
I have a friend who is branched Medical Services.
Google AMEDD maybe the Army or Guard will have opportunities for you.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
Taco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Taco Gunner's Tacoma Gallery
CRO

Combat Rescue Officer (Sort of a PJ...)

If you are fit and want something "highspeed"....

Plus you get to fly with some badass people in badass helicopters...like me!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
The Air Force is over manned right now and is showing officers the door. If your degree is not in a specialty needed in the officer core, they aren't going to take you. Since the civilian job market is bad right now, the military has no problems recruting folks. If you enlist you'll come in as an E-3.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Air Force: 1LT
MotoXFreeStyle61's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
Ditto with what had been said above. Air Force is forshaping right now. From my experience however, certain career fields don't have degree requirements (not saying it doesn't hurt to have a background in what you're doing). I know guys that had music and philosopy majors get into pilot training. I do see the air force making a stronger point to get people with the right backgrounds into the correct fields.

Now on to the downsizing. Right now the air force is looking to reduce both officer and enlisted positions. I know lots of people who have either dropped out of pilot training due to medical or self elimination. These guys are having a really tough time finding new jobs or even a job at all. This is just my personal experience with it.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
rab is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Scientist
rab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXFreeStyle61 View Post
Ditto with what had been said above. Air Force is forshaping right now. From my experience however, certain career fields don't have degree requirements (not saying it doesn't hurt to have a background in what you're doing). I know guys that had music and philosopy majors get into pilot training. I do see the air force making a stronger point to get people with the right backgrounds into the correct fields.

Now on to the downsizing. Right now the air force is looking to reduce both officer and enlisted positions. I know lots of people who have either dropped out of pilot training due to medical or self elimination. These guys are having a really tough time finding new jobs or even a job at all. This is just my personal experience with it.
Yep, I just got cut. 12 years in, then "thanks for your service". Looking for a job now, I have to be out by 1 March.