1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

$50,000,000.00 To Kill 1 Enemy

Discussion in 'Military' started by SOSHeloPilot, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Oct 28, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot [OP] My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

I saw this on the news too and the numbers may not be too far off either ... $50,000,000.00 to kill each Taliban enemy.

Link to AOL news --> http://www.aolnews.com/world/article/how-much-does-killing-a-taliban-cost/19689492

As far as other costs, the actual costs (on the news) of $1,000,000.00 per soldier per year (in Afghanistan and/or Iraq) with ALL expenses & etc.

Couple that with the very high costs in veteran's medical care, disabilities & support equipment maintenance & replacement and these wars will cost into mid Trillions .. ie $5 Trillion.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen that money spent on the infrastructure here in the US to make a better life for US citizens.

The costs to kill each VC and/or NVA in RVN was much lower ... but so was the technology.

Damn, I hate to see all this (borrowed) money pizzed down a rat hole in the middle east ... :confused:

PS ... with the average household paying federal taxes of $10,000.00 = 100 households paying federal tax for each $1,000,000.00 = ... and you can see how quickly we are going into the hole.

2. Oct 28, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    Vietnam cost 58,000+ lives of US soldiers and hundreds of thousands of innocent Vietnamese and in today's dollars, cost nearly 700 billion and we sort of lost that war. (Due to the horseshit games played in Washington and not due to the heroic efforts of our armed forces)

The money spent in both Iraq and Afghanistan have lead to far fewer civilian and military deaths. In my opinion, based on those two factors, money well spent. If we can lower casualty rates, then lets spend the money.

Personally, I think we should not spend more than the cost a single .50 cal round put through the forehead of some jib. BUT...government has gotta have a trillion contractors in there and that drives the cost up.

For or against this war, the money is spent on technology, training, and outfitting our forces to minimize death or injury.

If I were running the war, I would start carpet bombing southern Afghanistan and work my way north. That place is a SHITHOLE and we will never achieve a true victory there. (again not due to the efforts of the armed forces). These people are illiterate and go where the money is. If it is with the Taliban, they are aligned with them. If it is with us, then they come with us. They have no loyalty..other than to the tribe. We are not fighting a Nation, we are fighting a country.

3. Oct 29, 2010 at 1:48 AM
    JoePa Fan

JoePa Fan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Whip
    Stoney Creek Mills, PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 T/X Pro TRD Black
    CAT back performance exhaust, Bilstein shocks, window vent visors, Access LE tonneau cover, Pop N Lock tailgate lock, TRD beadlock alloy wheels, TRD valve stem covers, tube steps

Well stated, Taco Gunner!

4. Oct 29, 2010 at 1:52 AM
    USNavyEOD

USNavyEOD Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC/LB Sport 4x4
    ...Let me know when you start the carpet bombing. I will turn my BFT on. I don't like getting bombs dropped on my head...It hurts.

---posted from Southern Afghanistan :)

5. Oct 29, 2010 at 3:10 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Politicians run wars and not those whose business is war. A politician's pedantic view of war says no killing of innocents and because of that, it seems like the rules of engagement favor the enemy.

Personally, I say let soldiers do their jobs. If it means bombing the shit out of the place, get it done and let's move on.

6. Oct 29, 2010 at 3:35 AM
    Dimonback

Dimonback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Austin, Tx, from all over hell and back
    Vehicle:
    Geezer double cab w/ shell
    Maybe I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. But I don't believe we're in a declared war against Afghanistan, nor Iraq (since combat operations in Iraq officially ended Aug 31). The military operations are directed against a specific faction resident in each of the countries but not the countries themselves. All operations were initiated in the "War on Terror" which has failed due to it's very nature, which is very much like nailing jello to a wall. I still feel that the second Iraqi war was a put up job by GW and Cheney.

Much like Vietnam, I think it's a war we can't ever "win" and our actions there only benefit those already in power. As soon as our backs are turned from those people they'll spit on us as invaders and burn our flag. It's a fad over there, and the way they do business. We'll never be heroes and we'll never be more than infidels to be eradicated or converted. Personally, I'm not interested in their version of heaven no matter how many virgins are available.

In my mind, the smartest solution is to vacate that popsicle stand, keep all the wasted money to ourselves, close our borders and fix our internal problems. In a year we'll be watching them all self destruct from testosterone overload and religious fervor.

7. Oct 29, 2010 at 12:54 PM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    EOD, you will get the in hot call..and then the rain will come...bongo-52 style. Warheads on Foreheads.

After the the dust has settled, the ears stop ringing, and there is that eerie quiet post-ordinance delivery, I will send every C-17 we have over dropping bundles of "Hooked on Phonics..Afghanistan Edition". Once these people become educated, this shit will stop.

EOD...cut the green wire...and be careful..and thanks for rocking the 'stan.

8. Oct 30, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    anonymous7

anonymous7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    TRD Sport 4x4, Satoshi grill mod, TRD Cold Air Intake,
    as said in the article...

"It is important that you understand that the simplified logic in the Kabul Press article is flawed [because] capturing and killing Taliban is not the overall objective,"

That money is in moving fuel and commodities, realize this is a big issue today being that we don't have the support for the war from the people and we spend our money accordingly. KBR and Fluer soak up a lot of that money in todays war where it would be 100% troops in the previous wars. We also rely a lot on the Local Nationals for most of our transportation of goods.

Products Discussed in

To Top