1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Veterans Day

Discussion in 'Military' started by dbronzo, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Nov 10, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    dbronzo

dbronzo [OP] Protected by Armor Tech Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4 w/ some Mods
    King Coilovers, LR UCA's, All Pro Sliders, ATO Full Skids, Pioneer AVH-P4300, 4.56 Gears, Front and Rear ARB Air Lockers, ATO Full Wrap High Clearance Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, ATO Hybrid Bumper, Smittybuilt XRC 8, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Rock Lights
    To all my fellow Veterans past and present, thanks for your service. Just a couple of short reads of why this day is so important.

Thank a Vet
    If you're reading this, thank a teacher. If you're reading this in English, thank a veteran.

Our military is the strongest force in the world. And we use it to help others since it took help from France and Germany to gain our independence. We are not a force to simply topple regimes and enforce our will upon other people. We are there for the people and not the few in power. Democracy should be a right of the people. As Americans, we firmly believe in that.

Ask an elderly man in South Korea who understands the struggles we underwent so communism would not conquer them. Or the Afghan man who was oppressed under the Taliban simply because he did not want to grow a beard. Or the Iraqi man who suffered under Saddam Hussein because he did not want to fight for him.

The youth of today often forget what mistakes and hardships were suffered for them. They often protest our presence. They too often do not realize how much harder life would be since they were too young or not even born to have an understanding of what was happening around them.

Thankfully the American people have looked past the faults of Vietnam and support our service members. You may not like our government and the decisions they make, but the troops have to follow those decisions. And it's always comforting to know that they always have a home to return to. A home that so many have fought, bled and died for so you didn't have to.

Thank all veterans of all conflicts of all services for making that sacrifice and say a prayer for those who gave their lives in service to our country and to their brothers in arms for their sacrifice is greater than any we could possibly give.

God Bless America

A True School Story about Veterans
    A lesson that should be taught in all schools . . And colleges

Back in September, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a social studies school teacher at Robinson High School , did something not to be forgotten. On the first day of school, with the permission of the school superintendent, the principal and the building supervisor, she removed all of the desks out of her classroom.

When the first period kids entered the room they discovered that there were no desks.

'Ms.. Cothren, where're our desks?'

She replied, 'You can't have a desk until you tell me how you earn the right to sit at a desk.'

They thought, 'Well, maybe it's our grades.'

'No,' she said.

'Maybe it's our behavior.'

She told them, 'No, it's not even your behavior.'

And so, they came and went, the first period, second period, third period. Still no desks in the classroom.

By early afternoon television news crews had started gathering in Ms.Cothren's classroom to report about this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of her room.

The final period of the day came and as the puzzled students found seats on the floor of the deskless classroom, Martha Cothren said, 'Throughout the day no one has been able to tell me just what he/she has done to earn the right to sit at the desks that are ordinarily found in this classroom. Now I am going to tell you.'

At this point, Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom and opened it.

Twenty-seven (27) War Veterans, all in uniforms, walked into that classroom, each one carrying a school desk. The Vets began placing the school desks in rows, and then they would walk over and stand alongside the wall... By the time the last soldier had set the final desk in place those kids started to understand, perhaps for the first time in their lives, just how the right to sit at those desks had been earned..

Martha said, 'You didn't earn the right to sit at these desks. These heroes did it for you. They placed the desks here for you. Now, it's up to you to sit in them. It is your responsibility to learn, to be good students, to be good citizens. They paid the price so that you could have the freedom to get an education. Don't ever forget it.'

By the way, this is a true story.

And no this post is not a day early where I currently am.:D

2. Nov 10, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    armyairforce89

armyairforce89 Active Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2010 5-lug SR5
    Ready Lift SST Lift Kit, Fog Lights, Aluminum Diamond Plate Tool Box, AFE ProDry S Air Filter, UltraGuage, BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A 235x75x15's
    great post, and God Bless all my fellow veterans.

3. Nov 10, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    Taco76087

Taco76087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma prerunner TRD SR5
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs
    Great post +rep

4. Nov 11, 2010 at 4:00 AM
    ptaco88

ptaco88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    Stock
    I come home from Iraq in 18 days happy Veteran's day!!! I hope all the military in the states are enjoying their 4 day weekend while we work our asses off making this day special.

5. Nov 11, 2010 at 4:02 AM
    David Tarantino

David Tarantino Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    Great post and thank you all for your service

6. Nov 11, 2010 at 5:54 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Thank you Brothers and Sisters! Thank you for your service!

7. Nov 11, 2010 at 6:02 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    God bless all that have served to protect our freedom.
    And especially my grandpap who passed away nov 22, 1996.
    He was a WW2 vet msgt, piloting the notorious B24 liberator (B25 mitchel) and was shot down over germany. He was a POW for almost 3yrs and escaped.
    He then was a test pilot for the F-86 sabre during the Korean war and was a decorated USAF bomber pilot and Jet pilot.
    He taught me how to fish and hunt and never was shy about telling me stories I was growing up. I love you Pap!.
    I know there are sever here at TW that have served and are still serving.
    Thank you each and every one of you. You are blessed.

8. Nov 11, 2010 at 6:09 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    Thank you for your service......

9. Nov 11, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    Thanks to my brothers and sisters who served and who are still on active duty. I think about the military everyday and often find myself wishing I had never gotten out. Happy Veteran's Day.

10. Nov 11, 2010 at 6:14 AM
    MAtrdguy

MAtrdguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Western Ma ( on the lake) / Danvers N Shore
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco DC LB
    None YET
    Thanks to all those who have not served BUT remember those of us who HAVE !!!

A simple thanks goes a long way.....speaking for myself...I really appreciate it...it makes it all worthwhile.

I personally try to thank and shake tha hand of the people I know are vets...the ones who did it BEFORE me...( especially the WW2 guys)...

To all those out there now....check your 6, get the job done and come on home !!

11. Nov 11, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    thank you to all vets past and present. i can't wait to go back

12. Nov 11, 2010 at 7:09 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thank you very much to those that serve, and have served, to establish and keep me and my family free.

13. Nov 11, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    Toyotacrawler

Toyotacrawler She's got the jimmy legs

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cusseta/Opelika AL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD Sport
    5100's set to 1.75" Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL & 5100's for the rear Konig Countersteer Offroads K&N Drop in WeatherTech's Bed Mat Blacked out Badges Rear leaf TSB
    Thank you to all who have served and are serving currently in our military forces! You let me and my loved ones go about our daily lives in the land of the free! From the bottom of my heart thank you all for the sacrifices you have made to keep us free!
    Sincerely,
    Mike

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty." JFK

14. Nov 11, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    CelticTaco151

CelticTaco151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kate
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road DBL Cab 4x4
    great thread. I proudly support all veterans and the military of the united states of america. +1 rep OP

15. Nov 11, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    Boosted17

Boosted17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Florence, Ky
    Vehicle:
    Looking for a new Toyota Truck.
    2006 Corvette Z51 M6. Best mod ever!
    Great post +rep

16. Nov 11, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    Happy Veterans Day to those who served and are still serving!

Semper fi!

17. Nov 11, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Great post !

And thank you to all the Vets and those currently serving!

18. Nov 11, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    DaWillDaBeast

DaWillDaBeast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 with some goodies
    Things
    Thank you all that have served and continue to serve, YOU are what makes this country great. Stay safe

19. Nov 11, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    View from the Maryland Veterans Cemetary in Cheltingham, MD

DSCN9705_adf440085e0925d66caba4fe663176ad4f9271ad.jpg

My mom and dad are buried here side by side. Both made it home from WW2 and raised a wonderful family. May everyone be as fortunate as me to have loving parents that know how to teach right from wrong.

20. Nov 11, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    Thank you Veterans!

Products Discussed in

To Top