Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

facebook places I checked into

Old 11-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
facebook places I checked into

Recently FACEBOOK has introduced a new feature:
"Places I Checked Into".
This feature allows "friends" to see exactly where you are logging in from.

Its been recommended that people (military etc.) are aware of this risk since by default the feature is turned on.

Anyway, its been sent out to thru the commands to increase opsec awareness.
Thought I would post it here since I did not see a thread on it & got something on it & not thru facebook.
Here's a .pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mod_facebook_places (2).pdf (282.5 KB, 68 views)
Old 11-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!
Mark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LCDR Mustang (Ret) - 30 yrs - Submarine and Target Service
Name: Mark
Mark C.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
Why would they add this "feature"?

You should NOT...unless you want to people to know where you are logging in from.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C. View Post
You should NOT...unless you want to people to know where you are logging in from.

I mean why is this even an option from Facebook? It is getting too easy to stalk people or be stalked.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I mean why is this even an option from Facebook? It is getting too easy to stalk people or be stalked.
yes I agree...there was recently an incident where I live where someone was found through FB & it did not end very well for the victim.
The contact was initiated started through the network according to the police for they hadn't seen each other in years. Pretty messed up.

I do not know why the feature is available though. Maybe someone else knows that, I do not have an account anymore.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
I do not know why the feature is available though. Maybe someone else knows that, I do not have an account anymore.

My wife has one, it works well to keep an eye on our son. We still have to have discussions with him on what is really appropriate to share sometimes. Personally I hate facebook/myspace, it has caused more problems than anything.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Facebook and Myspace is just a platform. Without users, it is nothing. It is the choices we make that affect us. Granted Facebook shouldnt automatically add this feature to our accounts and turn it on without a blatant warning, you cant really get angry at the network sites themselves.

It's just like drugs...if it werent for the demand, there would be no supply
Old 11-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My wife has one, it works well to keep an eye on our son. We still have to have discussions with him on what is really appropriate to share sometimes. Personally I hate facebook/myspace, it has caused more problems than anything.
x100000000000000000000000000000
Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
I think it was supposed to be a feature for parental controls (like Jester's son) or as a pseudo-Foursquare.

But I'm not sure. I've never even had a Facebook, so I don't know.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
thats why you only friend close friends & family. dont go friending random people to have the highest count and you wont end up raped/murdered
Old 11-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
Wag More Bark Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
thats why you only friend close friends & family. dont go friending random people to have the highest count and you wont end up raped/murdered
yes totally agree!
Sometimes its the friend of a friend of a friend.
You can gather intel from lots of sources even if you are careful, piece it together like a puzzle.
You might not know who your friend friends. Granted the lock down starts with you.
I stopped a couple once taking pictures on base and asked if they needed help. They looked legit, flight jacket, crew cut on the dude, american etc.
The woman glared at me and they jumped in their car. I wrote down the license plate and reported it to the provost.
The next day the fbi came to see me :eeK: with a picture of the woman and they had all these questions etc. Mainly they were info ants gathering up info. It was real & taught me a lesson for sure.

Mostly the reason I posted is for those service members to know the feature is on & if you are using the social network the site will post your location by default, an opsec sort of thing, and you might want to turn it off.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
May not matter that much......but I hope our military will prevent service Men and Women from using this feature. For security purposes and risk to national security.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
My sister-in-law posted about this on facebook. I disabled it immediately.

Perhaps I don't understand fully how FB works because I don't use it but to browse. But - do they even communicate with users of these changes?

The last thing I want, is FB open for people to find where I am and what I'm doing unless I post it myself.

Thanks for the tip/info!!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
AF put out a statement on this a few weeks ago. you would really have to not care about your or anyone else's security to have this
Old 11-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
I believe your gps has to be on and you have to manually "check in". It's not automatic.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #16
005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed005Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
005Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
I believe your gps has to be on and you have to manually "check in". It's not automatic.
x2
Its for mobile devices. iPhones and other phones that are compatible.