1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Debt Commission

Discussion in 'Military' started by sandboxpirate, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Nov 18, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    sandboxpirate

sandboxpirate [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Where Purple Reigns
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner TRD SR5
    Camper Shell, Step Bars, Hitch, AFE Air Filter, Weatherguard Mats.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20101118/pl_usnw/DC04692

This article is only the American Legion's rebuff to the Obama Debt Commission but in case, any of my fellow vets and active duty types that haven't been following the news take time to research the Debt Commissions recommendations on veterans and spending and active duty retirement. With the government broke we need to stay on our toes and defend our "entitlements" that we worked and sacrificed our blood, sweat, family and tears for. Take some time and write your congressman and senator and demand they not use cuts to veterans or active duty benefits as balancing acts in this fiscal crisis. The cuts need to come from those programs that people have not done anything making them eligible to receive other than breathing. Ladies and Gents do not think for one minute that the career politicians will not cut our benefits so they can keep the ones that keep voting them into office happy.

Write your congressman:
    https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Write your senator:
    http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

It's a shame we have to do this but we must always be ready to fight to keep our benefits.:infantry:

2. Nov 18, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    good info, i wasn't even aware of this.

3. Nov 18, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    Thanks for posting that!

4. Nov 21, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    CannondaleMan

CannondaleMan Active Member

Member:
    Live Free or Die! God Bless New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Speedway Blue Double Cab, Long Bed,
    Yet the moronic halfwits in Congress and the White House will give millions and millions away every year to "disabled" folks who are fully capable of working, want to give all kinds of benefits to ILLEGAL immigrants.

Sad that those of us who have served get f@cked over. Not asking for much in service to my country, just a fair deal.

Morons in Congress making $160,000 running this country into the freaking ground while young men and women give up the best years of their life in service to this great experiment we call the United States only to get rogered up the freaking @$$.

5. Nov 21, 2010 at 4:43 PM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Our country is on it's way to being a second rate economic power. The National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform has recommended some hard, brutal reforms and cuts. No body wants to make a sacrifice, but we can't tax, grow, cut the fat, or spend our way out of this mess. The United States of America has to stop spending more than is taken in as tax revenue, it's that simple. EVERY BODY is squawking "don't cut mine, don't raise mine, I earned mine, mine's important, ME, ME, ME! That includes me, I don't wanna' pay a higher TriCare premium (even though I pay less per year than some people pay per month), I don't wanna' go another year with out a cost of living increase, I don't wanna' lose my government job to some scab contractor, I don't wanna' wait 'till I'm 70 to retire. But, I will if you will.

6. Nov 21, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    cabarbhab

cabarbhab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Mary Esther, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OR 4x4
    drastic things have to happen. at this point it is not a matter of if we fail, but when. I am willing to make sacrifices to help this country. If they make cuts to us, they have to make cuts to everyone else. I would rather we make the hard choices now ourselves, than be forced to makes these cuts because our system fails. Government needs to be drastically cut, that means military, all departments, all welfare, medicare, social security. But to do this it means that Americans will have to take responsibility for ourselves again. We must take care of ourselves and our neighbors. Rough times are surely coming our way and we must prepare for them. We can either give up our freedoms and liberties and let the government "take care" of things or we can stand up, prepare for the worst and take care of our neighbors. This was a country founded on values, morality, personal responsibility, personal reliance and the rights and freedom of the individual. I believe if we come together as free individuals willing to care for ourselves, families and friends we can be stronger than ever before. We truly are living in a very important time in our countries and the worlds history. Are we going to be a nation of free individuals shaping our lives and future, or are we going to give our freedom up to let the government do that for us?

7. Nov 22, 2010 at 5:09 AM
    CannondaleMan

CannondaleMan Active Member

Member:
    Live Free or Die! God Bless New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2010 Speedway Blue Double Cab, Long Bed,
    Don't get me wrong, but those of us that have served know that we carry an immense burden, and for not all that much pay in the service of our country.

When politicians f@ck up, it is the men and women in uniform who bear the burden of months-long deployments, bullets, shrapnel, injuries, and death. They are the LAST folks you affect.

Our long, slow climb back into fiscal solvency will take decades. Cuts to Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security will need to be cut. Subsidies given out by the government will need to be gutted. The so called "entitlements" will need to be re-examined. Everyone needs to take a bite from the so-called "sh!t sandwich" and have to swallow it. Like it or not.

For the past 50+ years since LBJ began to dip into the Social Security "Trust Fund" we have been spending a lot more than we take it. The incompetent twits in D.C. and many state capitals just kept kicking it down the line. Now it is time to pay the piper.

Federal subsidies to farmers for crops has to stop. Federal bailouts of companies has to stop. Hell, the guys in D.C. are even funding local fire and police departments to fund staffing - a LOCAL issue.

I have absolutely no problem helping the down and out, the unfortunate in society - but we, as a society need to examine who fits into this category. We can even start by examining who gets a Federal pension. Start by gutting the politicians (most of whom are millionaires.) No pensions for political appointees. No pensions for cabinet members (since they are gone every 4-8 years.) Really get into the meat and potatoes of the budget.

The military programs can take a hit. The funding for aircraft can take a hit.

The benefits for our warriors does not need to be touched.

I fully expect that my taxes will go up, but just this year a study came out showing that only 47% of the U.S. population pay NOTHING in Federal income taxes:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/09/30/pf/taxes/who_pays_taxes/index.htm

How absurd is that? Lots of places to make up a LOT of money.

Flat income taxes, no tax deductions for anything, and everyone is taxed. Everyone benefits from the government, so you get pay into it.

But the troops who serve as the defenders and preservers of our freedoms are the very last ones to get touched.

8. Nov 22, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    sandboxpirate

sandboxpirate [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Where Purple Reigns
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner TRD SR5
    Camper Shell, Step Bars, Hitch, AFE Air Filter, Weatherguard Mats.
    I agree that everyone needs to tighten up the belt or America is heading down the crapper. However I along with all those that have served in our armed forces have sacrificed a whole damn lot for our what little benefits we will get. I will not get my benefits cut while those that refuse to work and would rather make babies to get a larger check sit on their asses and suck the life out of our country.

Products Discussed in

To Top