Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Why no salute to CMH Awardee from Commander in Chief?

Old 12-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #21
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
I'm not sure of the instruction, but I believe it was in boot were I learned no matter the rank disparity, one salutes a MOH recipient- even the CNO would salute an E1 if he had the MOH. This was even expressed in an NCIS episode.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #22
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
WTF? he tried to give him a hug...?
x2

any video of this?
Old 12-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #23
BassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bennett
BassPilot's Tacoma Gallery
He's not the first president not to salute during the MOH ceremony.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors...l-of-honor.htm

I personally found his speech to be full of reverence and respect for Staff Sergeant Giunta.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #24
BassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of lightBassPilot is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bennett
BassPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Video of ceremony here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2RWs...layer_embedded

Old 12-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #25
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassPilot View Post
He's not the first president not to salute during the MOH ceremony.

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors...l-of-honor.htm

I personally found his speech to be full of reverence and respect for Staff Sergeant Giunta.

... ^^^ ... DITTO ... I saw it in real time on TV and Obama even expressed verbally ... "I really like this guy".

Old 02-16-2011, 02:39 AM   #26
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwhite19 View Post
MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENTS
General Protocol and Information
SALUTE:
There is no law or military regulation that sets forth a requirement for military personnel of any rank to salute a Medal of Honor recipient. It is presumed that this assumption arises from an old custom in the Army when the Medal of Honor ceremonies included a regimental or brigade parade. The recipient stood beside the officer receiving the “pass in review” and, with that officer, returned the salutes of the company or unit commanders as they passed. However, it is permissible to salute a recipient as a display of respect or honor – whether he is civilian or retired military – when he is physically wearing the medal.
NOTE: If the recipient is still on active duty and is a commissioned officer, those of a lower rank will salute him as per military regulations.

Maybe its different in the Navy, I dont know.
The navy doesn't salute indoors. If that was indoors? I didn't read that obvious crap article.

According to my studies.. granted a while ago. You will never find a regulation on saluting in the air force, as it is a courtesy it is passed on as a custom not a law. But upholding customs is part of the whole "conduct becoming" thing.

You can find instructions on ceremonial scripts etc, but not one saying "one must render salute like this" for every day. Or so I was told back in the day.

Haven't run into one.

I'd do whatever society told me to do. I'm not one for, what was for me, a matter of ceremony. But saluting a MOH winner doesn't jive with the history of the salute. Though I know it jives with modern hero worship. It doesn't make sense in traditional concept.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #27
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know about the other services but in the Army you are required to salute indoors when reporting to the Pay Officer for pay, reporting to a Commanding Officer, reporting to the President of a Board (Promotion), or during a Ceremony held indoors.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #28
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Navy doesn't. I've saluted a Navy captain while receiving an award. It was returned with a strange look, but I was explained afterwards that i'm a dork.

Around NIOC anyway, the enlisted folk say they don't stand when talking to officers unless it's a staff officer either.
In training we saluted E-4 senior airmen and bucks when reporting.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #29
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Humanity View Post
I would reason that since there hasn't been a Medal of Honor awarded to a living recipient since the Vietnam War, the protocols are a little dusty. That doesn't make POTUS unpatriotic.

What it does is make his handlers and briefers morons for not informing and instructing him on the traditional procedures in awarding MoH honors.

The President has many, many things to attend to, and know all the procedures of award ceremonies -- no matter how revered -- probably don't take up that much mental real estate. Someone on his staff fucked up big time and did not inform him of the tradition, and that is awful.

I'm sure he feels completely terrible for this breech of protocol, and if he could, would travel back in time and offer a proper salute. But it's over now, and the mistake has been made.

But calling POTUS unpatriotic is simply ignorant.
I agree on this particular instance, LH.

But in my opinion POTUS has a large and ever-growing body of work that flies in the face of the Constitution and traditional American values.

A good read for anyone that's interested: "The Roots of Obama's Rage" by Dinesh D'Souza.

Gives a real clear picture of what makes this guy tick...
Old 03-18-2011, 08:23 AM   #30
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
I cant say it, Jim