1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why no salute to CMH Awardee from Commander in Chief?

Discussion in 'Military' started by Mark C., Nov 30, 2010.

1. Nov 30, 2010 at 1:39 PM
    Mark C.

Mark C. [OP] If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
  2. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:06 PM
    elblako91

elblako91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Lubbock/Houston/Katy
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyo Pickup
    Hmm I didn't know that no matter how high of a rank you are your supposed to salute someone with a medal of honor Learn something new everyday! :)
    It did say that this is the first purple heart to be rewarded to someone alive since the vietnam war and maybe Obama just didn't know and no one filled him in. Heck I didn't know but I guess when your president of the U.S. you should know :p

3. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    Shack

Shack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lane
    Chester, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Bilstein 5100-Front (1.75"), Pop N' Lock Tailgate, Rear Leaf TSB MR. Marv custom box and amp rack, JL 13TW-5, Memphis Audio Amps and Door Speaker, JVC DVD DD HU, Wet Okole, Weathertech Mats, Bed Mat

It's the Congressional Medal of Honor, not a Purple Heart. While an honor of its own, a Purple Heart is not on the level of the CMH.

4. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    I would reason that since there hasn't been a Medal of Honor awarded to a living recipient since the Vietnam War, the protocols are a little dusty. That doesn't make POTUS unpatriotic.

What it does is make his handlers and briefers morons for not informing and instructing him on the traditional procedures in awarding MoH honors.

The President has many, many things to attend to, and know all the procedures of award ceremonies -- no matter how revered -- probably don't take up that much mental real estate. Someone on his staff fucked up big time and did not inform him of the tradition, and that is awful.

I'm sure he feels completely terrible for this breech of protocol, and if he could, would travel back in time and offer a proper salute. But it's over now, and the mistake has been made.

But calling POTUS unpatriotic is simply ignorant.

5. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    I think you meant the medal of honor because I know plenty of living recipients of the purple heart.

6. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    elblako91

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Lubbock/Houston/Katy
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyo Pickup
    Crap yeah lol I'm trying to study for a chem test tomorrow :rolleyes: I suck at multi tasking

7. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:16 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    And as upsetting as it might be- Politics and commentary on the POTUS are still not acceptable topics here on TW.
    I'm not sure this thread can do much but go down the political path- but I'll leave it open to see.

8. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    Frankie_G

Frankie_G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    West Seattle, Wa
    I agree that he should have been saluted and what not. But i dont think i have ever been to a ceremony that i had to not some how inform a higher ranking official of how things are done as far as customs and courtesies. When i first joined i was amazed how many ppl didnt know the courtesies but what happens is that that's not their job or maybe never done it before. Happens all the time. I'm sure obama regrets hugging him and not saluting and im sure the sgt was like wtf when it happened.

9. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    elblako91

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Lubbock/Houston/Katy
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyo Pickup
    Whats POTUS??:confused:

10. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    Shack

Shack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lane
    Chester, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Bilstein 5100-Front (1.75"), Pop N' Lock Tailgate, Rear Leaf TSB MR. Marv custom box and amp rack, JL 13TW-5, Memphis Audio Amps and Door Speaker, JVC DVD DD HU, Wet Okole, Weathertech Mats, Bed Mat
    Well I am sure that obama knows the protocol for when the U.S. Flag passes in review, or during our national anthem, and it is not the "crotch salute". Oh well, at least he gave Sgt. Giunta a hug.

11. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    President of the United States- the normal abbreviation of the title.

12. Nov 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rocklin, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15
    President of the United States

13. Nov 30, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    The name of our nation's highest military award for valor is The Medal Of Honor. There's no such thing as a congressional medal of honor.

14. Nov 30, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    dcwhite19

dcwhite19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD Offroad
    TC UCA, 5100's w/ Eibach Coils, 285/70-17 Duratracs, ProComp 7089's, Debadged, Color-Matched Grill w/ GrillCraft, Hella Black Magics behind grill, Metal Miller Horns, Dice Ipod Interface
    First off any award in the military is not "WON" it is earned, this isnt little league baseball. That really pissies me off when people refer to any award as won. Second, there is no regulation stating that you have to salute a recipient of the MOH it is more of a sign of respect to that person. If I myself were in that situation I would have honored the salute.

15. Nov 30, 2010 at 11:01 PM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    I did not know that.
    It is often commonly referred to as the Congressional Medal of Honor (CMOH) however.
    link to Congressional Medal of Honor Society

..."That the President is authorized to present, in the name of the Congress, a medal of honor only to each person who, while an officer or enlisted man of the Army, shall hereafter, in action involving actual conflict with an enemy, distinguish himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty." The lesser awards (Silver Star, etc) were authorized for presentation by the President, "BUT NOT IN THE NAME OF CONGRESS."

16. Nov 30, 2010 at 11:20 PM
    unentered

unentered Son of Baconator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB4x4MGM
    OME 886/Dakar, ARE CX, AMS Filter, WT Mats, 255/85/16s
    On the contrary, honors in the form of a hand salute are deemed rendered to all Medal of Honor Recipients. Found here, Basic Military
    Requirements NAVEDTRA 14325 page 9-9 first full paragraph. ;)

17. Dec 1, 2010 at 4:55 AM
    dcwhite19

dcwhite19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD Offroad
    TC UCA, 5100's w/ Eibach Coils, 285/70-17 Duratracs, ProComp 7089's, Debadged, Color-Matched Grill w/ GrillCraft, Hella Black Magics behind grill, Metal Miller Horns, Dice Ipod Interface

MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENTS
    General Protocol and Information
    SALUTE:
    There is no law or military regulation that sets forth a requirement for military personnel of any rank to salute a Medal of Honor recipient. It is presumed that this assumption arises from an old custom in the Army when the Medal of Honor ceremonies included a regimental or brigade parade. The recipient stood beside the officer receiving the “pass in review” and, with that officer, returned the salutes of the company or unit commanders as they passed. However, it is permissible to salute a recipient as a display of respect or honor – whether he is civilian or retired military – when he is physically wearing the medal.
    NOTE: If the recipient is still on active duty and is a commissioned officer, those of a lower rank will salute him as per military regulations.

Maybe its different in the Navy, I dont know. ;)

18. Dec 1, 2010 at 5:11 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    ladies...keep the political out. the relevant posts about the MoH are left in here.

19. Dec 12, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    Battle Pope

Battle Pope Christ-a-licious

Member:
    First Name:
    Korben
    Class 6
    Vehicle:
    Automatic 5 Lug
    squash air freshner
    Cant believe some still dont know that a salute is rendered to all MoH recipients. What are they teaching at basic nowadays?!

20. Dec 12, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    WTF? he tried to give him a hug...?

Products Discussed in

To Top