LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Why no salute to CMH Awardee from Commander in Chief?

Old 11-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!
Mark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LCDR Mustang (Ret) - 30 yrs - Submarine and Target Service
Name: Mark
Mark C.'s Tacoma Gallery
Why no salute to CMH Awardee from Commander in Chief?

I just can't believe this. Did anyone see the ceremony? I didn't, but I'd have blown a head gasket if I had.

Check this out!

http://www.newswithviews.com/Lloyd/rees110.htm
Old 11-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
elblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant future

Name: Blake
elblako91's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm I didn't know that no matter how high of a rank you are your supposed to salute someone with a medal of honor Learn something new everyday!
It did say that this is the first purple heart to be rewarded to someone alive since the vietnam war and maybe Obama just didn't know and no one filled him in. Heck I didn't know but I guess when your president of the U.S. you should know
Old 11-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Shack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lane
Shack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elblako91 View Post
Hmm I didn't know that no matter how high of a rank you are your supposed to salute someone with a purple heart. Learn something new everyday!
It did say that this is the first purple heart to be rewarded to someone alive since the vietnam war and maybe Obama just didn't know and no one filled him in. Heck I didn't know but I guess when your president of the U.S. you should know

It's the Congressional Medal of Honor, not a Purple Heart. While an honor of its own, a Purple Heart is not on the level of the CMH.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
I would reason that since there hasn't been a Medal of Honor awarded to a living recipient since the Vietnam War, the protocols are a little dusty. That doesn't make POTUS unpatriotic.

What it does is make his handlers and briefers morons for not informing and instructing him on the traditional procedures in awarding MoH honors.

The President has many, many things to attend to, and know all the procedures of award ceremonies -- no matter how revered -- probably don't take up that much mental real estate. Someone on his staff fucked up big time and did not inform him of the tradition, and that is awful.

I'm sure he feels completely terrible for this breech of protocol, and if he could, would travel back in time and offer a proper salute. But it's over now, and the mistake has been made.

But calling POTUS unpatriotic is simply ignorant.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmm I didn't know that no matter how high of a rank you are your supposed to salute someone with a purple heart. Learn something new everyday!
I think you meant the medal of honor because I know plenty of living recipients of the purple heart.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
elblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
I think you meant the medal of honor because I know plenty of living recipients of the purple heart.
Crap yeah lol I'm trying to study for a chem test tomorrow I suck at multi tasking
Old 11-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
Frankie_G is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: Frankie
Frankie_G's Tacoma Gallery
I agree that he should have been saluted and what not. But i dont think i have ever been to a ceremony that i had to not some how inform a higher ranking official of how things are done as far as customs and courtesies. When i first joined i was amazed how many ppl didnt know the courtesies but what happens is that that's not their job or maybe never done it before. Happens all the time. I'm sure obama regrets hugging him and not saluting and im sure the sgt was like wtf when it happened.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
And as upsetting as it might be- Politics and commentary on the POTUS are still not acceptable topics here on TW.
I'm not sure this thread can do much but go down the political path- but I'll leave it open to see.
Whats POTUS??
Old 11-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
Shack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shedShack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lane
Shack's Tacoma Gallery
Well I am sure that obama knows the protocol for when the U.S. Flag passes in review, or during our national anthem, and it is not the "crotch salute". Oh well, at least he gave Sgt. Giunta a hug.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #12
08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Ben
08WhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Whats POTUS??
President of the United States
Old 11-30-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack View Post
It's the Congressional Medal of Honor, not a Purple Heart. While an honor of its own, a Purple Heart is not on the level of the CMH.
The name of our nation's highest military award for valor is The Medal Of Honor. There's no such thing as a congressional medal of honor.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
dcwhite19 has a spectacular aura aboutdcwhite19 has a spectacular aura aboutdcwhite19 has a spectacular aura about

Army: Tank Commander 4ID
Name: David
dcwhite19's Tacoma Gallery
First off any award in the military is not "WON" it is earned, this isnt little league baseball. That really pissies me off when people refer to any award as won. Second, there is no regulation stating that you have to salute a recipient of the MOH it is more of a sign of respect to that person. If I myself were in that situation I would have honored the salute.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #15
Junior Senior Member
warpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud of

Army: Motor Pool
Name: Vaughn
warpwr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathom View Post
The name of our nation's highest military award for valor is The Medal Of Honor. There's no such thing as a congressional medal of honor.
I did not know that.
It is often commonly referred to as the Congressional Medal of Honor (CMOH) however.
link to Congressional Medal of Honor Society

..."That the President is authorized to present, in the name of the Congress, a medal of honor only to each person who, while an officer or enlisted man of the Army, shall hereafter, in action involving actual conflict with an enemy, distinguish himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty." The lesser awards (Silver Star, etc) were authorized for presentation by the President, "BUT NOT IN THE NAME OF CONGRESS."
Old 11-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #16
Son of Baconator
unentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shedunentered is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FCC(SW)
Name: Jacob
unentered's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to unentered Send a message via Skype™ to unentered
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwhite19 View Post
Second, there is no regulation stating that you have to salute a recipient of the MOH it is more of a sign of respect to that person. If I myself were in that situation I would have honored the salute.
On the contrary, honors in the form of a hand salute are deemed rendered to all Medal of Honor Recipients. Found here, Basic Military
Requirements NAVEDTRA 14325 page 9-9 first full paragraph.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:55 AM   #17
dcwhite19 has a spectacular aura aboutdcwhite19 has a spectacular aura aboutdcwhite19 has a spectacular aura about

Army: Tank Commander 4ID
Name: David
dcwhite19's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by unentered View Post
On the contrary, honors in the form of a hand salute are deemed rendered to all Medal of Honor Recipients. Found here, Basic Military
Requirements NAVEDTRA 14325 page 9-9 first full paragraph.

MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENTS
General Protocol and Information
SALUTE:
There is no law or military regulation that sets forth a requirement for military personnel of any rank to salute a Medal of Honor recipient. It is presumed that this assumption arises from an old custom in the Army when the Medal of Honor ceremonies included a regimental or brigade parade. The recipient stood beside the officer receiving the “pass in review” and, with that officer, returned the salutes of the company or unit commanders as they passed. However, it is permissible to salute a recipient as a display of respect or honor – whether he is civilian or retired military – when he is physically wearing the medal.
NOTE: If the recipient is still on active duty and is a commissioned officer, those of a lower rank will salute him as per military regulations.

Maybe its different in the Navy, I dont know.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:11 AM   #18
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
ladies...keep the political out. the relevant posts about the MoH are left in here.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #19
Christ-a-licious
Battle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 15-6'rs
Name: Korben
Battle Pope's Tacoma Gallery
Cant believe some still dont know that a salute is rendered to all MoH recipients. What are they teaching at basic nowadays?!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #20
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
WTF? he tried to give him a hug...?