Notices

Navy fellahs

Old 12-03-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
thenomad will become famous soon enoughthenomad will become famous soon enough

Army:
Name: Way
thenomad's Tacoma Gallery
Navy fellahs

So my wife is a Navy nuke currently at NNPTC in Charleston. We get that wish list to choose 3 duty stations and we are trying to decide what base would suit us best. We love the outdoors period and hopefully will go somewhere that is great for outdoor stuff. These are our choices.

Bremerton, WA
Everett, WA
San Diego, CA
Norfolk, VA
Yokosaku, JP

Has anyone ever been to any of these bases? We are thinking Washington and San Diego are our best bet for outdoor areas? Any advice and suggestions is appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:07 AM   #2
If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!
Mark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shedMark C. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LCDR Mustang (Ret) - 30 yrs - Submarine and Target Service
Name: Mark
Mark C.'s Tacoma Gallery
San Diego offers outdoor things to do....within an hour to an hour and a half. Dry..warm
Everett and Bremerton offer outdoor things to do....and have some beautiful country surrounding them. It will rain quite a bit there....but when it is clear, it is beautiful....and you won't have to travel far for outdoor activities....and if you head east, you can also have dry terrain and weather too.
Norfolk.....some people like it, but I shied away from it in the 30 years I served.
Japan..........never been there....so I can't comment....but I am sure someone will chime in.

Good luck on your choices......
Old 12-03-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Norfolk is smack dab in the middle of the city over here. Not much scenery in the immediate area until you go to Williamsburg or those surrounding areas. The base traffic is terrible because it bottlenecks into (2) 1-lane tunnels and usually takes about an hour to get from one side to the other on a normal day. I've been there done that..
Old 12-03-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
stay the hell out of hampton roads. Save you and your wife the hassle that armpit is.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
Norfolk isn't all that great unless you live out side the citys
Old 12-03-2010, 06:16 AM   #6
Nick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shedNick Sells is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Nick Sells's Tacoma Gallery
I was stationed in San Diego for the past 6 years I loved it there is plenty of everything to do there and the weather is allways good plus the West Coast is a little more relaxed than the East due to it being so close to D.C. I think you guys would love it there.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Yokosuka is ok but I'd go with San Diego or Washington.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
San Diego all the way. I was stationed at north island for 6 months. I LOVED it. Only problem is that you will never want to leave.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
jafarr08 is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: Jamie
jafarr08's Tacoma Gallery
san diego or washington. i'm in bremerton its not to bad. other people say that everett sucks.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I've been to Bremerton, and Everett...but never San Diego. Washington is nice during the summer, not too cold, not to hot...in the winter it can get rainy. If you go to Bremerton you have to take a ferry to Seattle as opposed to Everett you can just drive there. Everett is also closer to ski resorts at Mt. Baker and Stevens Pass (I've boarded both) Mt. baker holds a record for highest snow fall in a winter. If your into kayaking, hiking, mountain biking and the like, I would go with Washington!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
tricty is on a distinguished road

Name: chad
tricty's Tacoma Gallery
Yea whatever you do stay away from Norfolk, I spent 6 years there. You can not get any where with out jumping on the freeway, the locals are pricks that don't like the military and the beaches are so-so. I've been to San Diego plenty of times to tell you that it's awesome, I only wish I could have been stationed there. Washington is very nice and you'll get a great sense of being down to earth, but yea it rains alot in the winter. What ever you do STAY AWAY from Norfolk!!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #12
BadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant futureBadBrains has a brilliant future

Navy: Airframer->Construction Mech
Name: Wes
BadBrains's Tacoma Gallery
Yep I'll agree that Norfolk would be OFF my list. You could go see all the historic sights on a week long trip and be done with that place.

Only reason that I'd consider Norfolk is because of the friends I have there from the 7+ years spent in VA Beach.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
im not in the Navy but San Diego is the shiznit! San D FTW!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #14

Army:
Cool, thanks for all the recommendations.

I'm still torn, Washington you can get all the outdoor adventure anyone could ask for but then you have the rain and San Diego has all the outdoor opportunities (with nice weather too) within range but then you have the earthquakes and whatever flows in from Mexico (drug war).

Tough choices.

I know the dream sheet doesn't always happen but she is fast tracking. She was Rpoc all of bootcamp and now she is class leader in her A-School. Atleast we have 2 years to think about it lol
Old 12-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #15
Misplaced Texan
JTanner is a glorious beacon of lightJTanner is a glorious beacon of lightJTanner is a glorious beacon of lightJTanner is a glorious beacon of lightJTanner is a glorious beacon of lightJTanner is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: Military Corrections
JTanner's Tacoma Gallery
Bro. San Diego. Stop thinking. Wife and I have 23 yrs navy between us, we love it here. It is a little pricey but BAH is much higher also. Weather, Weather, Weather! Wanna go to the desert? Got it. Wanna go skiing? Got it. Want the city? SD or LA..both right here... no brainer.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #16
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
I am not Navy but I would also vote San Diego! I love that city!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #17

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTanner View Post
Bro. San Diego. Stop thinking. Wife and I have 23 yrs navy between us, we love it here. It is a little pricey but BAH is much higher also. Weather, Weather, Weather! Wanna go to the desert? Got it. Wanna go skiing? Got it. Want the city? SD or LA..both right here... no brainer.

I hate you. I was almost settled on Washington...
Old 12-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #18
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Point Loma is where she'd be. Small base aka sleepy hollow. Decent area fo sho. But also CA is a backasswards state. I can't wait to get the fuck out of here. I wouldn't worry about it though unless you plan on becoming a resident of this piece of shit state
Old 12-13-2010, 11:49 PM   #19
PtLomaComa is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aviation Rescue Swimmer
Name: Brett
PtLomaComa's Tacoma Gallery
Ten years in San Diego and they are going to need a pry bar to get my ass outta there. Love the weather and the atmosphere. It's got all you need. Point Loma is a nice base too.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #20
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery

San Diego would be no. 1 on my list ...