1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

want to join USMC

Discussion in 'Military' started by 98Tacoma, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Dec 18, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    krudawg

krudawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Goodyear, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner V6 SR5
    If you were finishing up college, I'd advise you to finish and enter the Corps as an Officer but you are in a trade school which may or may not be worth a crap to you in the future, so dump the Trade School and join the Marines. I have never looked back from my decision to join the Corps right out of High School. I used the GI Bill to go to college and have had a very satisfying career for the last 35 years.
    Things have changed a lot since I served but I can say with almost 100% certainty that you will live, sleep and eat in facilities that are quite inferior to the other services. You will be using weapons that were probably used in the Vietnam War and ammunition that may even date back to Korea. If you want to be pampered, talk to an Air Force recruiter, If you want the best and newest of war fighting weapons and aircraft, talk to an Army or Navy recruiter. If you want to get your butt kicked again and again in basic training, live with in the most basic of facilities and fight with weapons, that aren't new and shiney - go see a Marine Recruiter and ask them if he thinks they want you.

2. Dec 18, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    SantaCruz'n

SantaCruz'n Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    Saving for the 2013
    Yes sensi. I learned from my master.

3. Dec 19, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    TheOtherGuy

TheOtherGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cajun Country
    Vehicle:
    05 Access 4x4
    I am currently a mechanic in the army.

The army will guarantee you will go to train for the job you want if it is available, then it is up to you to pass the course. You will pass; it is super easy. Being a mechanic in the army isn't very much fun. Most of the work you do is maintenance and services like changing oil and shit like that. It really isn't fun while deployed overseas because the trucks a filthy and you have no water to clean them with and that makes any work you do much worse. Working on dirty vehicles sucks.

Another thing is soldiers do not work on the MRAP's (at least overseas they don't) and I haven't seen many MRAPs in the states. The army hires civilian contractors to work on them. YOU as a soldier will just do the bitch work the civilians don't want to do. Anyway MRAPs suck to work on because every single part is so F'in heavy.

I try my hardest to do get out of the shop and do soldier/infantry type stuff every chance I get. LUCKILY with this deployment I am in a good position to do that. The odds of me, a mechanic, actually being a soldier like I am doing now are super slim. I am so lucky I am not stuck in a motor pool.

I recommend infantry.

4. Dec 19, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods
    Wrong! The Army guarantees your job! If you join the Army you want the MOS of 91D

5. Dec 19, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    Kahunadave

Kahunadave Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 DC PrernrTRD Sport
    K&N CAI-series 63, custom Billet Grille, Magnaflow exhaust, AR Tactic 17x8, Toyo A/T opencountry 265/70/17, Iridium plugs.
    Lot of statements on here some true..and some not so true. If you're just looking for a JOB and Training.. you can get that anywhere. The Marines offer something more. Like another Marine on here said.. your MOS is not guaranteed..but usually if that is what you requested and you do well on the Tests for it.. you should get it. But the Marines do reserve the right to put you where they Need you..but its not for the rest of your enlistment. You won't find too many Marines that served their enlistment and were Honorably discharged that wouldnt do it again!

Happy to be one of "The Few and the Proud..."

6. Dec 19, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    98Tacoma

98Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    V.A.
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 xtracab
    k&N intake, 40 flowmaster turndown, westin brushguard,10 inch JL sub, alpine cd player.painted black tool box. bilstein 5100s 3inch Ebiach springs all around and toytec aal. mickey thompson beadlocks. and 33inch goodyear duratracs

well im not saying that any other branch is easy or not as good as the other, but i dont want to look at a diff branch because it may be easier or one that may have the newest thing, i want to join the corps because it is a branch that does difficult tasks and that it is one of the most respected branches because of the discipline and there rigirous physical training. and to respect men like you that have gone before

7. Dec 19, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    98Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    V.A.
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 xtracab
    k&N intake, 40 flowmaster turndown, westin brushguard,10 inch JL sub, alpine cd player.painted black tool box. bilstein 5100s 3inch Ebiach springs all around and toytec aal. mickey thompson beadlocks. and 33inch goodyear duratracs
    the reason why that i want to do a thing like mechanics is because i enjoy working on everything mechanical and i believed that since of that i would beable to help the corps with there motor transport division i dont only have to work on mraps of just vehicles or could at some point work on air crafts. i believed that i would choose a mos that i believe i could give the most help in. i know that infantry are the ones who win the battles and wars, but im sure that at some point the other guys that supply the materiales and help keep there vehicles in top shape help the infantry become victorious. dont take me wrong im know the usmc infantry can accomplish these things planes and vehicles but im sure it helps some. i respect the men in the infantryand that why i would like to work to help protect them and keep them moving foward by keeping there vehicles in working order. i hope no one takes that the wrong way.

8. Dec 19, 2010 at 3:37 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ... ^^^ ... Given this statement.

Seriously, I would go USAF and do maybe some type of aircraft and/or jet engine mechanical work.

With that said, I learned several things in the USMC that I cannot put on paper - that helped me very much later on in life.
    Can't really tell you what it was ... (post USMC) ... that I would never quit and give up (in real life & business life) just because something was difficult. The military experiences gave me super tenacity in life in general.

9. Dec 19, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    98Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    V.A.
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 xtracab
    i think im going to do some research on air craft mechanics and see what jobs there may be in the marines. i know that everyone even people in the marines say that another branch may be better for what im looking for. but i would like to be part of the marine corps family i think i need to do more research of mos in the corps and see what they may offer. could find another job that i may like more

10. Dec 19, 2010 at 5:03 PM
    98Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    V.A.
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 xtracab
    i understand what your saying im sure afer awhile it feels like you at a normal shop working on cars that just need tune up im sure it gets boring from time to time. im planning o to start studying for the asvab pretty soon so that i hope to get a high score. im sure that the life of infantry is more exciting and that you have the oppturnity to do more things than being a mechanic. are you allowed to chane your mos if you re enlist?

11. Dec 19, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    I was a helicopter mechanic in the Marines for five years, if you have any questions you can ask me. I'd say 50% of the time it was fun and the other 50% miserable but all in all a great decision on my part. Like others have said I was always inside the wire wishing I could go out and actually do something during my deployments. However, several of my friends got hired to work as civilian contractors and are currently making a lot of money since their discharge. The technical skills we learned are very desirable to civilian companies. While I was a Marine and I will always be proud of what I did there is still a part of me that wishes I had done the infantry. Now I get paid to go to college, can't complain about that.

12. Dec 19, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    volfan51128

volfan51128 Tennessee Volunteer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    White Pine, TN (very soon)
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma (used to have a 2010 Tacoma)
    3 inch lift, fuel wheels, n fab step bars, rough country 30 inch light bar in lower grill, de badged tail gate, and a few other thing...
    Here's the deal... We all offer basically the same thing 3 square meals a day, roof over your head, educational benefits, steady income, etc, etc.

You really need to research everyone and see which you like best and which on fits you best.

I know the reason I joined the Air Force is the educational benefits, the quality of life and the training you get. I also considered heavily the USMC because the prestege and tradition. I didnt do the Navy because i dont like ships that much and didnt do the Army because I knew all about the Army with my Dad and brother serving there. I wanted to do something out of the ordinary and the USMC and Air Force were my final choices.

You have a huge decision to make and I hope things work for you. Just find out which works for you. Also, I would say stay the hell away from everyones website and go to www.usmilitary.about.com this web site will give you meat and potato facts about all branches.

If you go to a service specific site, they are all recruiting tools and are nice and flashy to help sale their branch. Go to the site listed above and read up.

I hope this helps.

13. Dec 19, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    pyrite2011

pyrite2011 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Fernandina Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite DC TRD OffRoad
    TRD exhaust, pretty much gonna stay stock for a while
    I was a Light Armored Vehicle Tech for a few years (16+). Worked a lot with Infantry (that's who operated the vehicles) and fixed a lot of vehicles. I was also "outside the wire" many times serving in Iraq. Had a company of mechanics that saw a lot of action. Not sure what jobs will be open when you make the decision but you can pretty much get into the area of skill you want, as long as your ASVAB scores qualify for that Military Occupational Specialty (MOS). Just my 2 cents.

14. Dec 19, 2010 at 6:06 PM
    98Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    V.A.
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 xtracab
    i think i have looked at that website again but im going to take another look at it. a few other guys have said that about the all the branches websites plus most commericals are the same way. thank you for posting that website ill check it out

15. Dec 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM
    98Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    V.A.
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 xtracab
    was that the actual name of your mos if your looking at the names of the jobs on there website or is that the name of it LAV? what types of things would do on daily basis such as in the shop or when you are deployed? i talked to a recruiter that said the same he siad that most will always stay behind the walls of a base then many will go out in the field with the vehicles or even go out with the infantry

16. Dec 20, 2010 at 12:24 AM
    JoeTacoma02

JoeTacoma02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    There are a lot of things you do not see in the military. Marines..the few..the proud. They say that for a reason. You will meet the coolest motherfukers and the dumbest queers in the marine corps. Some of the stuff you got to do makes absolutely no sense at all!! Boot camp is what you make of it. I'd say its about 70% mental 30% physical. I had fun in boot camp and through my 4 years I just completed. Lots of sweat put into it(along with most mos) Will I ever go back in? Probably not but I have no regrets.

Since you'll most likely be motor t if you decide to go this route you will have fun dueling out with the communications shop(usually comm shop and motor t is the 2 biggest section)

Anyways whatever you chose and MOS you end up with good luck and keep us updated on which route/mos you went.

17. Dec 20, 2010 at 1:16 AM
    cabarbhab

cabarbhab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Mary Esther, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OR 4x4
    join the air force and go vehicle maintenance. you can work on any vehicle that the air force uses, which is alot.

18. Dec 20, 2010 at 1:32 AM
    cabarbhab

cabarbhab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Mary Esther, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD OR 4x4
    the air force is different than the other branches. what i mean is that airman are considered technicians and not fighting men. in the army you are a soldier first, the marines you are a rifleman first, and the navy you are a firefighter first. in the air force you are whatever your job is and nothing else. i am a helicopter mechanic and that is the only skill i am required to keep up with.

19. Dec 20, 2010 at 6:10 AM
    pyrite2011

pyrite2011 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Fernandina Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite DC TRD OffRoad
    TRD exhaust, pretty much gonna stay stock for a while
    "Light Armored Vehicle Repairman" I believe. The school house will go over all the basics of the vehicle, electrical, hydraulic, chassis, drivetrain, engine tear down/rebuild, etc... in the rear/shop anything from troubleshooting systems to pulling engines and limited rebuild and replacement. Replacement of major parts and basically fixing what the grunts broke. Deployed you would do the same kind of work, just with a different tempo, needs to get fixed faster for combat ops. A lot of on the road fixes to stay in the fight. There is an additional technician course that goes into depth on all of the different turret configurations, fixing the main guns and also the recovery vehicle crane, generator and winch troubleshooting/repair. If your in a company of vehicles you will be assigned a platoon (4 vehicles) and will go out with that platoon as the on call mech. Hope this helps out

20. Dec 20, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    98Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    V.A.
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 xtracab
    what type of helicopter did you work on? id like to work on helicopters im sure that is alot more detail work tham working things such as humve but i bet it is a good trade to learn. i knew a guy that was a helicopter mechanic and her said he never went outside the wire he said they spend to much time and money to train them to put them in combat. where would you get stationed if you know?

Products Discussed in

To Top