Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Sr71 picture

Old 12-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sr71 picture

Found this picture of my father refueling it in the kc 135 from back in the day. Thought you military guys might enjoy the picture!!

Thanks for keeping us safe!!!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
That's a cool picture. I've seen plenty of official photos of the SR-71 in flight but never a personal one.

Thanks for the picture. Anymore?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!,,Pics of the Black sled never get old.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod View Post
Nice!,,Pics of the Black sled never get old.
Really cool pic, See one would never get old.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper6speed View Post
Really cool pic, See one would never get old.
The Seattle Museum has a M-21 drone carrier variant,,always oogle that when I visit.

Had the rare chance of seeing a SR flyby at the Abbotsford air show in Canada,,many moons ago.

Pop's was a private pilot for years. spent lots of time droning along in just about every different design of Cessna,,and a Bellanca Citabria (airbatic spelled backwards) .
Old 12-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmakli View Post
That's a cool picture. I've seen plenty of official photos of the SR-71 in flight but never a personal one.

Thanks for the picture. Anymore?
Supposedly yes. There is a box of about 1000 pictures and I have to go threw them. That one was on the top. . If I find them I will post them up
Old 12-31-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
wvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwvtac0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
wvtac0's Tacoma Gallery
It's even awesome in person!!!

http://www.nasm.si.edu/images/collec...072000CP09.jpg

If you ever get to the DC area, take a trip out to Dulles and visit the Smithsonian's Air & Space Museum. The is an "airport" charge to park but the museum is free.

P.S. The prototype Space Shuttle "Enterprise" is in the background of the SR71 picture. Another beautiful machine!!!
Old 12-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
That airplane was way ahead of its time. It has always been one of my favorites.

When I will a little kid I got to touch one threw a mitten. It was hanging in the climatic hanger at Egland AFB and they were simulating arctic conditions. AWESOME!!

One year for Christmas my wife got them the Pilot Operating Handbook for the SR-71 right after it was declassified. Man, there is a ton of great info in there about the operation of the aircraft.

The emergency procedure section is curiously slim. Most things are only a few steps long and end with EJECT...

There was a day when I saw one being hauled down I-95 outside of Washington DC. The fuselage was on a long trailer and the wings were cut off as if a huge band saw was used and every single wing spare was cut through. I actually cried when I saw that. It just was not right to do that to that great airplane.

G
Old 12-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
cool pic. i will never forget checking this plane out at the air force museum at Wright Patterson AFB when my grandma and grandpa took my bro and I when i was a wee little lad. it's awesome!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #11
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Brings Back Some Fond Memories

Back in my early years in the Air Force (retired after 26 years in Nov 2009) I was TDY twice to RAF Mildenhall, England on rotation with our C130s from Pope AFB, NC.

Back then the SR-71 flew regularly out of Mildenhall. It's flying schedule was classified and closely guarded, but the KC-135 schedule was posted daily in the shop we were attached to; since the SR-71 had to be refueled very shortly after take-off, and since only the modified "KC-135Q model" could refuel it, there was a pretty good chance the SR-71 would be taking off when the Q model was on the schedule. Those were the days we chose to preposition our launch van on the taxiway close to the C130's.

It was always a thrill to watch the Blackbird take-off from the taxiway adjacent to the runway. The afterburner blue flames coming out of that plane's engines were absolutely an awesome sight. This picture refreshed those memories and I can visualize it in my mind now 25 years later.

Greg, Thanks for the trip down memory lane! Bump Rep!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:56 AM   #12
puppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuppytruk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: al
puppytruk's Tacoma Gallery
Hate to show my age with this post, but as a young jarhead on Okinawa in the early 80s we would see these fairly frequently out of Kadena AB.
Never failed to draw your attention no matter how many times you witnessed them. north korea fired a aa missile at one once, I believe the pilot detected hostile fire and evaded (think hyperspace). Hostile shot was a miss, reported to be by ten miles !!!

God bless and keep safe all those serving and their families
Old 01-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
I was stationed in Okinawa at Kadena AFB from 1976 to 1977. The "Habu Hanger" was across the runway from our shop. It was really something to see the preflight of this aircraft as the crew chiefs had to use step ladders to check the fusalage. One of our school administrators at my previous school was an SR-71 pilot. He still wasn't able to discuss his missions after the bird was retired.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #14
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
There was one "lost" over the south china sea. I always wondered what happened to that one, if it was ever recovered,,ect.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
Back in my early years in the Air Force (retired after 26 years in Nov 2009) I was TDY twice to RAF Mildenhall, England on rotation with our C130s from Pope AFB, NC.

Back then the SR-71 flew regularly out of Mildenhall. It's flying schedule was classified and closely guarded, but the KC-135 schedule was posted daily in the shop we were attached to; since the SR-71 had to be refueled very shortly after take-off, and since only the modified "KC-135Q model" could refuel it, there was a pretty good chance the SR-71 would be taking off when the Q model was on the schedule. Those were the days we chose to preposition our launch van on the taxiway close to the C130's.

It was always a thrill to watch the Blackbird take-off from the taxiway adjacent to the runway. The afterburner blue flames coming out of that plane's engines were absolutely an awesome sight. This picture refreshed those memories and I can visualize it in my mind now 25 years later.

Greg, Thanks for the trip down memory lane! Bump Rep!
ThAt is crazy. My dad would fly all the out to england but it was top secret at the time(I was to young to remember, but me mom does!!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #16
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
C,mon Greg,,More pics!!. you throw us a teaser and then walk off,,lol.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #17

I was just talking to my father and he said you prob saw him. He refueled the sr71 over 200 times!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod View Post
C,mon Greg,,More pics!!. you throw us a teaser and then walk off,,lol.
My dad just told me that my mom threw over 100 pictures away with out his knowledge. He is still pissed to this day
Old 01-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #19
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07trd4x4 View Post
My dad just told me that my mom threw over 100 pictures away with out his knowledge. He is still pissed to this day
Ouch. That's no bueno.

Got to see the Sled that is parked at Dulles just a couple hours ago...Such a damn amazing plane. Looks fast as hell just sitting there. Lots of other great stuff there too. The Enola Gay is a big one...And the shuttle ENTERPRISE.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #20
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07trd4x4 View Post
ThAt is crazy. My dad would fly all the out to england but it was top secret at the time(I was to young to remember, but me mom does!!
Small world...Thanks again for sharing.