1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sending stuff to Kuwait (for my nephew in the Army)

Discussion in 'Military' started by Killer, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Feb 8, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    Killer

Killer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 TRD V6 3.4L SR5 XCab Gold with Tan Int
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
    I wanted to know what I could send and could not send?

Any tricks to sending stuff?

What do you think a 19 year old that is over there might want?

2. Feb 8, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    mlittle

mlittle T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    Your best bet would be to contact the FRG with your nephew's unit. Are you thinking about snacks or practical use items?

3. Feb 8, 2011 at 6:37 PM
    CoalMedic

CoalMedic Molon Labe

Member:
    Southern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blazing Blue Pearl SR5
    Chewing tobacco. Even if he doesn't chew, guaranteed some guys in his unit will. Insta-Morale boost.
    There is nothing like American Copenhagen. The stuff you get overseas just can't compare.

4. Feb 9, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    Killer

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
    First off what is a FRG?

So far, the only thing he has asked for were some nutritional work out pills. I have ordered him the pills, 5 lbs. of Jolly Ranchers, 5 lbs. of Bubble Gum, pecans, boot knife, odor eaters, gel boot pads, rum cake and rubber blow up doll (gag gift).

I think my nephew is having a hard time. I think his wife is wanting a separation and I don't think anyone has ever sent him anything.

5. Feb 9, 2011 at 6:46 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    at one point, my parents sent my brother a portable dvd player and a bunch of funny dvds and all the guys in his unit LOVED it...

6. Feb 9, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    I'll send him a card.:) pm his name & addy?

7. Feb 9, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    CoalMedic

CoalMedic Molon Labe

Member:
    Southern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    FRG is Force Readiness Group officer, usually the point of contact for the forward deployed unit. At least in the Marines, a small contingent of broken and short-timers stayed back and kept the administrative duties allegedly running smoothly. At the FRG I ended up being a part of after I got hurt, we showed up, had a formation, and went home. They're the ones who help coordinate Red Cross messages, process medals from the combat zone, etc. The base's information line could be a good starting point for the FRG's phone number.

8. Feb 9, 2011 at 2:57 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    well alcohol is prohibited but if you are willing to do a little work its not hard to disguise it. mouthwash bottles that match the color of the liquor. soda bottles if its a brown color. or like whiskey tea bottles work well for that. or so ive heard....:spy:

9. Feb 9, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    CoalMedic

CoalMedic Molon Labe

Member:
    Southern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Original Listerine, oddly enough, mimics Mr. Daniels concoction #7.......:spy:

10. Feb 9, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    mlittle

mlittle T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    The Family Readiness Group typically consists of the husbands and wives of those who are deployed. They coordinate events for the family members at home. Also, the FRG President is typically the one in contact with the commander, so he/she may have an idea of what may be needed by the troops who are deployed.

Does your nephew have a laptop? If not, maybe we can find someone to donate one. The DVD player and DVDs are a good idea. Your nephew may have a decent amount of downtime, so he may want something to take his mind off things. If you can, send some recent photos of your nephews friends and family.

Feel free to send me your nephews mailing address. I will do my best to get a letter or card in the mail to him. I am supposed to be deploying in late 2011/early 2012, so I would want to find out as much from those who have deployed.

11. Feb 9, 2011 at 5:23 PM
    Sheppymach

Sheppymach Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sheppy
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner trail edition
    BLU LOGIC bt, avid, weather tech mats & rain guards, 285/70/17, BenWA's totally AWESOME power sliding window mod.
    Girl Scout cookies, I just sent them to my nephew

12. Feb 9, 2011 at 9:00 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    And Jaegermeister oddly looks like coca-cola :spy:

13. Feb 10, 2011 at 12:55 AM
    Canadian Girl

Canadian Girl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kim
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 X Runner
    Billet 5 piece Grille, Pink X-Brace, Pink Devil Horns, Stereo with Sub-X, short shifter, URD intake, Xii street drop, Vinyl custom interior dash,......... for now ;)
    PM me the address....I will send him a Tim Hortons card.... (its yummy Canadian Coffee) there is a Tim Hortons in the Airport....... The Canadians over seas love it and here too :)

Also don't let his woman let get to him. If she is not good enough to be there for him while he is doing such a thoughtless thing for his country she doesn't deserve him. Yes I am sure its hard for her but its even harder for him. A true woman would stick by him and be there for him. Sending him random little things to cheer him up in that shitty part of the world.

14. Feb 10, 2011 at 1:39 AM
    DCGirl

DCGirl Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    I would say definitely keep in touch. Myself and others over there felt forgotten by some back home, life goes on for them. It can be rather disappointing seeing some people constantly getting care packages and letters. I had a friend in my unit that only got two letters while we were out there for 7 months. Knowing someone took the time and care to go out of their way to do a care package or write a letter or email can mean a lot.
    I was always happy to see a letter. Well....as long as its not one of those dear john letters that I saw quite a few Marines get.

15. Feb 10, 2011 at 6:28 AM
    Killer

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I sent his address to everyone that has offered to write him. He is a good young man.

I am guilty of not writing to him too. Between work, family and etc., you keep telling yourself that I will write him when I get some time. :(

16. Feb 10, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    My son wanted beef jerky the last time he was there. Maybe some extra PT gear for off duty. Get a customs declaration form from the post office before you get in line. They want an itemized list of everything in the package and how much it costs. A properly filled out customs form will get the package through with as little hassle as possible.

Products Discussed in

To Top