Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Joining the USAF!!!!!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
Joining the USAF!!!!!

I have been looking into the military for quite a while, so I talked to a few recruiters. Looks like the USAF is gonna be the one I join. I have to get interviewed, take my test, and all that fun stuff, but I already know what jobs im interested in. Any one else from the Air Force?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
no one ever....lol.

i think in the which service are you in thread, AF is just edging the others out.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
eckcessive is on a distinguished road

Name: Ken
eckcessive's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck... my dad was in the AF. I often wish I had went that route but I took a different path thru college.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
joalbrown is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
joalbrown's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the decision. Just make sure you have a guaranteed job when you sign up. If you go "open" they will stick you anywhere they need you.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joalbrown View Post
Congrats on the decision. Just make sure you have a guaranteed job when you sign up. If you go "open" they will stick you anywhere they need you.
exactly. you do not have to sign or go in if you dont want the job they are trying to stic you with or if the ones you want are not available. an open job may get you out to basic faster, but they will stick you where they need you and that's usually the shit jobs.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Active duty was a good time. Not so much the guard... good lord that was boring.

I got a medial honorable discharge for severe sleep apnea.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:31 AM   #9
COACHPPARK has much to be proud ofCOACHPPARK has much to be proud ofCOACHPPARK has much to be proud ofCOACHPPARK has much to be proud ofCOACHPPARK has much to be proud ofCOACHPPARK has much to be proud ofCOACHPPARK has much to be proud ofCOACHPPARK has much to be proud ofCOACHPPARK has much to be proud ofCOACHPPARK has much to be proud of

Army: SNIPER HHC, 3 BATTALION,73 ARMOR,82ND AIRBORNE
Name: JC
COACHPPARK's Tacoma Gallery
CONGRATS ON YOUR CHOICE
Old 02-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #10
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats!
Old 02-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #11
Davidson is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Cody
Davidson's Tacoma Gallery
definetly have a guaranteed job, i went in open mechanic and now imma f-22 crew chief. sounds fun but we work 11 hour shifts everyday and we have weekend duty. plus we get 15 min for lunch on a good day. dont be a mechanic haha.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #12
JayLeah is on a distinguished road

Name: Jessica
JayLeah's Tacoma Gallery
Im leaving for San Antonio May 17th for basic in the Air Force. Cannot wait...
Old 02-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #13
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck to the OP and to JayLeah.

The military is a good deal. Make the most of the opportunity and you won't regret it.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
good luck! Hope you make it! what job are you interested in? last year when i spoke to a recruiter, i was told they were only looking for mechanics.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #15
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestaco View Post
I have been looking into the military for quite a while, so I talked to a few recruiters. Looks like the USAF is gonna be the one I join. I have to get interviewed, take my test, and all that fun stuff, but I already know what jobs im interested in. Any one else from the Air Force?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLeah View Post
congrats to both of you. what jobs are you planning on doing?

i'm a little bitter towards the blue falcon, but thats a long story.

good luck, you are making a great choice by serving
Old 02-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #16
joalbrown is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
joalbrown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLeah View Post
Congrats and good luck. Basic is not that hard ,but it will suck. The good thing though is you will be kept busy so the time will fly.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #17
SeniorSpan will become famous soon enoughSeniorSpan will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 30 Yrs Logistics and Intel
Name: Bob
SeniorSpan's Tacoma Gallery
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Congrats on your choice to enter the USAF. As others have mentioned if you do not have it in writing you more that likely will not get it; that applies to jobs, benefits and any other "goodies offered.

Once in, and finished with basic and your career field school(s) your goal should be to know as much as you can about your specialty. Spend the time now it will pay excellent dividends. Knowledge is power and will translate to promotions which, of course, equals more money.

Do not fail to know as much as you can about the surrounding career fields. Example, just cause you're a wrench bender, avionics, medical, crypto, heavy equipment op, PJ or special ops, etc., do not pass up a chance to learn about the administrative world. As time and rank marches on you will find the efforts you put forth in the first 8-10 years to know everything possible will make you stand out cause most will not make the effort to learn more than the guy/gal next to them. Do not hesitate to volunteer within reason. And do not hesitate to ask question even when everyone else is hesitating. Know your First Sergeant, most of them provide excellent guidance. If you have people working for you, and you will eventually, always give them credit first for a job well done, it it come back to you ten fold. Learn how to write and use other than the normal jargon for your career field when writing performance reports. Getting your best people promoted is a "word war" and you gotta do better than everyone else if you want to get your person promoted. Don't think you really do need to learn english, punctuation and writing skills, cause you're wrong and it will come back to bit you and consequently, the people working for you.

I know that's a lot of info when you have not signed the papers yet and you may be saying how can he say all that? I sent 30 years in the USAF, I did most of what I've written, I had a career that has taken me around the world several time with opportunities most would die for. I'm proud I was able to serve my country in peace and war. I would do it again in a heart beat. I learned quickly when to shut up and when to pounce. And know, always, I reiterate, always, get all the information before you pounce. And lastly, I'm a USAF Chief Master Sergeant, now retired.

Good luck and stay safe.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #18
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for al the replys...it seemed there was a lot of air men on here. Job wise, here is the list i was gonna talk to my staff sargent about:

Aerial gunner apprentice
Helicopter pilot
Combat rescue(Tactical control party apprentice) (Para rescue)
Vehicle maintenance control and analysis (vehicle operations apprentice) (special vehicle maintenance apprentice)
Munitions systems apprentice
Engineering apprentice
Airborne intelligence surveillance and recon operator
I was told to look into the PJ and special ops stuff due to my swimming ability and background. I dont think they will let my fly a heli. I have bad vision with out the help of glasses or contacts
Old 02-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #19
USFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Medical
Name: Jeff
USFCON's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on your decision. I recently went through MEPS for the Air Force reserves. Will always remember the duck walk lol
Old 02-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #20
08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Ben
08WhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davestaco View Post
thanks for al the replys...it seemed there was a lot of air men on here. Job wise, here is the list i was gonna talk to my staff sargent about:

Aerial gunner apprentice
Helicopter pilot
Combat rescue(Tactical control party apprentice) (Para rescue)
Vehicle maintenance control and analysis (vehicle operations apprentice) (special vehicle maintenance apprentice)
Munitions systems apprentice
Engineering apprentice
Airborne intelligence surveillance and recon operator
I was told to look into the PJ and special ops stuff due to my swimming ability and background. I dont think they will let my fly a heli. I have bad vision with out the help of glasses or contacts

Helicopter is out because enlisted do not fly. Only officers get to fly.

Munitions systems apprentice may sound cool but trust me, it's not. That is what I currently do. Looking to try and cross train into a new career field sometime in the future.