1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

maybe joining army

Discussion in 'Military' started by ckeeton, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Feb 21, 2011 at 10:57 AM
    ckeeton

ckeeton [OP] Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    trd sport with avid off road light bar, avid rock sliders. OEM roof rack, 12' LED light bar, and Sock monkey decals.
    so i have always thought about it but up until my best friend went through it i did not seriously consider it. now for about three months i have tried to sit down and make a serious decision on the matter. but can not fully say yes or no.

i will do reserves for sure, i want to focus on the business side of it, only thing i have seen is HR, i have heard its horrible field but it would help me the most outside of military.
    i am currently a Sophmore in college and dont really like the idea of having to miss a semester for AIT but can not find a way around it so i guess i'll have to.
    i know it will help give me the experience i need for a good job after school, which is one of the main reasons i want to join.

and i have weighted everything i can think of to put into place but still no sure answer.
    what are the pros and cons that you think i'll run into.

2. Feb 21, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    Do the split training deal. Get basic training done this summer, then next summer get the AIT done. Makes it easier for a college student. I have no regrets of joining, I've been in over 10 years now.

PS.... I've been in the reserves and the National Guard. I recommend the Guard. PM me if you need more info.

3. Feb 21, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    joerussell610

joerussell610 When all else fails read the directions

Member:
    First Name:
    Him
    Making myself at home in your house
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Sport Edition 4x4
    K&N, fog light mod, remote rear halogen fogs mounted under rear bumper, TRD skid plate, Flux Capacitor, Mr. Fusion upgrade soon
    DO IT!
    It'll be the best thing you ever did with your life!

:oldglory:

4. Feb 21, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Enlisting with a college degree... hmm.... well, look into logistics if you're interested in the business side

5. Feb 21, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    NoDrAmA357HK

NoDrAmA357HK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 Timberland Mica DBL CAB 4x4 TRD Sport
    3" Pro Comp w/ AAL, 17x9 -6 Offset 4.75 Backspace Pro Comp 7033, LT285/70/17, Xtreme M/T Pro Comp - 67285
    I agree with above, I've been in almost 17...do the split op, college student if you still wanting your college as a priority....atleast you have two choices enlisted or officer.....good luck

6. Feb 21, 2011 at 1:33 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton [OP] Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    trd sport with avid off road light bar, avid rock sliders. OEM roof rack, 12' LED light bar, and Sock monkey decals.
    which would be better? and what are the differences?
    know nothing dealing with that yet

7. Feb 21, 2011 at 2:34 PM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
    Join the Air Force, get into contracting, get a HUGE bonus, and then get a job with DCMA and relax for the rest of your life.

8. Feb 21, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton [OP] Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    for some reason the only branch that attracts me is the army, not sure why just the only one that grabbed my attention.

9. Feb 21, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton [OP] Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    and sorta side note, i just ran 2 miles in 13 minutes.
    now i know that i have to get that time down but for just starting off conditioning for it is that good?

10. Feb 21, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    Korydel

Korydel Scroats Ma Goats

Member:
    First Name:
    Kory
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma
    BHLM BLK out Grill SockMonkey decal TSB AAL Stubby Antenna Debadged In channel window visors 4in Nurf Bars 5100's @2.5
    I think that the military is great. I went through the same thing alomost. My bestfriend joined and I several months later (Marine Corps). The military is great, its all what you put into it. I was in for four years then applied for the MECEP program and now I am earning my degree and getting paid to do it. Go for it and give them hell.

Semper Fi.

11. Feb 21, 2011 at 2:40 PM
    trot

trot Dang.

Member:
    Aberdeen Proving Ground
    Vehicle:
    18 SW TRD OR DCSB P&T
    here's some advice:

make sure you are qualified before laboring over a decision. to do this, research all of the eligibility and be honest with yourself. if you've done this, good for you, most people just assume they are qualified and dive right into the dramatic decision making

second "missing a semester" is not an issue. accept the fact you will miss 6 months, a year, or longer, serving a the pleasure of the commander in chief in an austere environment populated with people who may or may not want you there.

once you're qualified physically, mentally and morally and accept deployment as a fact of life, the rest is gravy.

12. Feb 21, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton [OP] Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray

yeah i have checked qualifications for it and only one thing is wrong, i take aderall during school, and the marine recruiter said i would have to be off of it for a year before i joined. but there is no way i can stop taking it during school cause my grades will fall fast. now i dont know if the army says the same about that. is it something i would have to tell them? as long as i dont take it there?

13. Feb 21, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    Get the time down? Dude, you are fine with a 13 min two miles.

Work on your push-ups and sit-ups. Keep running but don't push it too hard. You don't want an injury before you get to MEPS.

14. Feb 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton [OP] Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    yeah i thought that the ideal time was around 12?
    and yeah i do push ups and sit ups every night before bed

15. Feb 21, 2011 at 7:31 PM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    For age 17-21 to max on the run and get 100 points you need a 13:00. You only need 60 points to pass which for that age is 15:54.

Don't get me wrong, you want to do the best you can. Keep running, just don't push yourself too hard now and injure yourself before you get through MEPS

MEPS can be a real bitch.

16. Feb 21, 2011 at 7:33 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton [OP] Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    yeah, and i not to worried about that, i have been working out every week for five years i think haha. but glad i will have some wiggle room incase i slip up

17. Feb 27, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    ckeeton

ckeeton [OP] Bazinga

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC Trd Sport Gray
    is there a resting position for the sit ups?
    like i know the resting position for push ups is to just hold yourself up then continue, but could not find if there is one for sit ups or not.
    and for the PT test are the push ups based on the four count system? or just one two three four five etc.

18. Feb 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    or supply corps?

19. Feb 27, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    yes it is the up position, but your hands still need to be clasped behind your head.

The push up starts in the ready position which is the up position, back straight, hands at least shoulder width apart. You lower yourself and "break the plane, elbows at 90. You do not have to touch your chest to floor but you must break the plane. The test scorer will repeat the last rep # if you are not doing it correctly. Same for the situps.

Plus at Basic you will get plenty of practice.

You're a young buck you'll do fine just don't hurt yourself like Cali said...MEPs is a pita.
    Good luck :)

20. Feb 27, 2011 at 9:42 PM
    j83soldier

j83soldier Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joshua
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    anti lock brake disable mod, fogtime anytime mod, Leer Topper, all pro plate bumper, toytec 3 inch lift, bfg AT, rims, piaa 5100's, some double din head unit (cant remember), warn 8000 winch, DO sliders, hacked frame to fit full size spare, thule and yakima roof racks
    if your going to join for HR join the airforce man. If you are going to join the army join to fight. I am not mos bashing. I am simply saying living condidtions are better in the AF, so are the duty assignments. Why be hard if that is not what you are going for. And you run time is str8. You maxed the pt test 17-21 run time

Products Discussed in

To Top