Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

maybe joining army

Old 02-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
maybe joining army

so i have always thought about it but up until my best friend went through it i did not seriously consider it. now for about three months i have tried to sit down and make a serious decision on the matter. but can not fully say yes or no.

i will do reserves for sure, i want to focus on the business side of it, only thing i have seen is HR, i have heard its horrible field but it would help me the most outside of military.
i am currently a Sophmore in college and dont really like the idea of having to miss a semester for AIT but can not find a way around it so i guess i'll have to.
i know it will help give me the experience i need for a good job after school, which is one of the main reasons i want to join.

and i have weighted everything i can think of to put into place but still no sure answer.
what are the pros and cons that you think i'll run into.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Do the split training deal. Get basic training done this summer, then next summer get the AIT done. Makes it easier for a college student. I have no regrets of joining, I've been in over 10 years now.

PS.... I've been in the reserves and the National Guard. I recommend the Guard. PM me if you need more info.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
When all else fails read the directions
joerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 18F-5th SFG
Name: Him
joerussell610's Tacoma Gallery
DO IT!
It'll be the best thing you ever did with your life!

Old 02-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Enlisting with a college degree... hmm.... well, look into logistics if you're interested in the business side
Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
NoDrAmA357HK has much to be proud ofNoDrAmA357HK has much to be proud ofNoDrAmA357HK has much to be proud ofNoDrAmA357HK has much to be proud ofNoDrAmA357HK has much to be proud ofNoDrAmA357HK has much to be proud ofNoDrAmA357HK has much to be proud ofNoDrAmA357HK has much to be proud of

Army: S-3 Operations
Name: Michael
NoDrAmA357HK's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with above, I've been in almost 17...do the split op, college student if you still wanting your college as a priority....atleast you have two choices enlisted or officer.....good luck
Old 02-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrAmA357HK View Post
I agree with above, I've been in almost 17...do the split op, college student if you still wanting your college as a priority....atleast you have two choices enlisted or officer.....good luck
which would be better? and what are the differences?
know nothing dealing with that yet
Old 02-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Taco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Taco Gunner's Tacoma Gallery
Join the Air Force, get into contracting, get a HUGE bonus, and then get a job with DCMA and relax for the rest of your life.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
Bazinga

ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Gunner View Post
Join the Air Force, get into contracting, get a HUGE bonus, and then get a job with DCMA and relax for the rest of your life.
for some reason the only branch that attracts me is the army, not sure why just the only one that grabbed my attention.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
Bazinga

ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
and sorta side note, i just ran 2 miles in 13 minutes.
now i know that i have to get that time down but for just starting off conditioning for it is that good?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
Scroats Ma Goats
Korydel is one of the sharper tools in the shedKorydel is one of the sharper tools in the shedKorydel is one of the sharper tools in the shedKorydel is one of the sharper tools in the shedKorydel is one of the sharper tools in the shedKorydel is one of the sharper tools in the shedKorydel is one of the sharper tools in the shedKorydel is one of the sharper tools in the shedKorydel is one of the sharper tools in the shedKorydel is one of the sharper tools in the shedKorydel is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Staff Sergeant
Name: Kory
Korydel's Tacoma Gallery
I think that the military is great. I went through the same thing alomost. My bestfriend joined and I several months later (Marine Corps). The military is great, its all what you put into it. I was in for four years then applied for the MECEP program and now I am earning my degree and getting paid to do it. Go for it and give them hell.

Semper Fi.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #11
兔年快乐! 慢慢走!
trot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud oftrot has much to be proud of

trot's Tacoma Gallery
here's some advice:

make sure you are qualified before laboring over a decision. to do this, research all of the eligibility and be honest with yourself. if you've done this, good for you, most people just assume they are qualified and dive right into the dramatic decision making

second "missing a semester" is not an issue. accept the fact you will miss 6 months, a year, or longer, serving a the pleasure of the commander in chief in an austere environment populated with people who may or may not want you there.

once you're qualified physically, mentally and morally and accept deployment as a fact of life, the rest is gravy.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
Bazinga

ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trot View Post
here's some advice:

make sure you are qualified before laboring over a decision. to do this, research all of the eligibility and be honest with yourself. if you've done this, good for you, most people just assume they are qualified and dive right into the dramatic decision making

second "missing a semester" is not an issue. accept the fact you will miss 6 months, a year, or longer, serving a the pleasure of the commander in chief in an austere environment populated with people who may or may not want you there.

once you're qualified physically, mentally and morally and accept deployment as a fact of life, the rest is gravy.

yeah i have checked qualifications for it and only one thing is wrong, i take aderall during school, and the marine recruiter said i would have to be off of it for a year before i joined. but there is no way i can stop taking it during school cause my grades will fall fast. now i dont know if the army says the same about that. is it something i would have to tell them? as long as i dont take it there?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeeton View Post
and sorta side note, i just ran 2 miles in 13 minutes.
now i know that i have to get that time down but for just starting off conditioning for it is that good?
Get the time down? Dude, you are fine with a 13 min two miles.

Work on your push-ups and sit-ups. Keep running but don't push it too hard. You don't want an injury before you get to MEPS.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #14
Bazinga

ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmakli View Post
Get the time down? Dude, you are fine with a 13 min two miles.

Work on your push-ups and sit-ups. Keep running but don't push it too hard. You don't want an injury before you get to MEPS.
yeah i thought that the ideal time was around 12?
and yeah i do push ups and sit ups every night before bed
Old 02-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #15
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah i thought that the ideal time was around 12?
and yeah i do push ups and sit ups every night before bed
For age 17-21 to max on the run and get 100 points you need a 13:00. You only need 60 points to pass which for that age is 15:54.

Don't get me wrong, you want to do the best you can. Keep running, just don't push yourself too hard now and injure yourself before you get through MEPS

MEPS can be a real bitch.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #16
Bazinga

ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, and i not to worried about that, i have been working out every week for five years i think haha. but glad i will have some wiggle room incase i slip up
Old 02-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #17
Bazinga

ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
is there a resting position for the sit ups?
like i know the resting position for push ups is to just hold yourself up then continue, but could not find if there is one for sit ups or not.
and for the PT test are the push ups based on the four count system? or just one two three four five etc.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #18
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
Enlisting with a college degree... hmm.... well, look into logistics if you're interested in the business side
or supply corps?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #19
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
is there a resting position for the sit ups?
like i know the resting position for push ups is to just hold yourself up then continue, but could not find if there is one for sit ups or not.
and for the PT test are the push ups based on the four count system? or just one two three four five etc.
yes it is the up position, but your hands still need to be clasped behind your head.

The push up starts in the ready position which is the up position, back straight, hands at least shoulder width apart. You lower yourself and "break the plane, elbows at 90. You do not have to touch your chest to floor but you must break the plane. The test scorer will repeat the last rep # if you are not doing it correctly. Same for the situps.

Plus at Basic you will get plenty of practice.

You're a young buck you'll do fine just don't hurt yourself like Cali said...MEPs is a pita.
Good luck
Old 02-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #20
j83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shedj83soldier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: joshua
j83soldier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
for some reason the only branch that attracts me is the army, not sure why just the only one that grabbed my attention.
if your going to join for HR join the airforce man. If you are going to join the army join to fight. I am not mos bashing. I am simply saying living condidtions are better in the AF, so are the duty assignments. Why be hard if that is not what you are going for. And you run time is str8. You maxed the pt test 17-21 run time