Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

What's wrong with this picture

Old 02-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #41
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by island808 View Post
I would say, They're threatening life, or threatening liberty. Liberty would be more of a political thing, not tied to the life part. So its an either/or sceneraio.

if I was going to get on the grammar, I would be reading it correctly and the correct way to read that bs orwellian line is:

Life and so on liberty and so on and the pursuit of all who threaten it. ellipses (...) are supposed to be read "and so on".

I would also add, that in the united states the only people that can legally have their liberties, and by virtue of situation MUST have their liberties impinged are the military and prisoners. No one else can even sign a contract to threaten their liberty. Its against the law. You could also argue that people of similar health disposition may live shorter in the navy as well. SO maybe give up a bit of life, a good chunk of liberty and pursue those who no-one but the uber paranoid feel threaten other's.
Threatening your life is most definitely threatening your liberty.

So in that scenario, I would say it is more of an if/then logic proposition, as opposed to either/or.

Just sayin'...
Old 02-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #42
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
My public high school sucked at teaching grammar, and simply Cornell expects you to already know how to use it so they don't really teach you either, but personally, in my opinion, in normal writing this would be improper use of an ellipsis. In normal speech the ellipsis is used to suggest an intentional silence, which is what is happening here so I think it's fine.

That said, to island808, I think BryWi is correct. If they are impinging on your life then they MUST be impinging on your liberty. So I would read the phrase as, "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten them."

But in normal speech the ellipsis works much better, much more dramatic.

Maybe even better, "Life and Liberty... and the pursuit of all who threaten them."
Old 02-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #43
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
What's wrong with this picture?... Rep to who gets it first. I've never noticed it until just now...

I don't see anything wrong with the quote, Usually the battlegroup is spread out at such a distance that you never see them from the ship even when entering the straits of hormouz. A tell tale sign of the ships being in port is that the union jack would be on the bow.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #44
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant0s View Post
zero because they are called ships
Two. Subs are boats
Old 03-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #46
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
"them" is not correct... it is correct as is.... It doesn't say Life and Liberty... it has "..." which is means a continuation. It is implied that the words are spoken in casual speech.

ex. $100... $200... sold!
Old 03-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #47
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
"them" is not correct... it is correct as is.... It doesn't say Life and Liberty... it has "..." which is means a continuation. It is implied that the words are spoken in casual speech.

ex. $100... $200... sold!
But, the "it" refers back to both life and liberty. Which would require the word used to be "them".
Old 03-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #48
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
But, the "it" refers back to both life and liberty. Which would require the word used to be "them".
actually "it" refers to life or liberty... its as if two sentences were combined in casual speech