Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

WTF is this mess

Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 AM   #21
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1mcc View Post
What the fuck? The government shutting down? That sounds ridiculous...I was unaware that could happen. But I guess given the state of the world these days, anything can happen.
Saw something similar to this early on in my active duty career...if I can remember back that far...I think it was fall of 1985. We went a few weeks technically broke because of some disagreement in Congress over approving the budget. I was young at the time, but I don't remember noticing any drastic changes and we got paid on time.

But these are truly strange times and I guess anything is possible...but my optimistic "gut" feeling is that some sort of temporary funding measure will be approved until they iron things out and approve a budget.

I know this much...if they don't pay the military...there damn well better not be any welfare checks being doled out!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #22
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
Saw something similar to this early on in my active duty career...if I can remember back that far...I think it was fall of 1985. We went a few weeks technically broke because of some disagreement in Congress over approving the budget. I was young at the time, but I don't remember noticing any drastic changes and we got paid on time.

But these are truly strange times and I guess anything is possible...but my optimistic "gut" feeling is that some sort of temporary funding measure will be approved until they iron things out and approve a budget.

I know this much...if they don't pay the military...there damn well better not be any welfare checks being doled out!
I support this 100%
Old 03-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #23
spaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to beholdspaulding88 is a splendid one to behold

Army: 3/8 CAV 1CD
Name: Sam
spaulding88's Tacoma Gallery
Thank god I only have 6 months left in the military, I'm tired of bullshit like this. Its not like we already get underpaid and over worked.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:59 AM   #24
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Are reserve considered non-essential personel??
Old 03-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #25
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaulding88 View Post
Thank god I only have 6 months left in the military, I'm tired of bullshit like this. Its not like we already get underpaid and over worked.
And yet people have the nerve to bitch mil gets too much pay and bennies. Although when you figure everything, we do make some damn decent money

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
Are reserve considered non-essential personel??
I believe so, most stateside anyways, just drill on weekends. Not that important as say an active duty personnel
Old 03-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanV13 View Post
And yet people have the nerve to bitch mil gets too much pay and bennies. Although when you figure everything, we do make some damn decent money
I know when i was about to join the Canadian Navy as a ship engine operator I was offered 65K/year plus benifits
Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #27
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know when i was about to join the Canadian Navy as a ship engine operator I was offered 65K/year plus benifits
Daaaaayyyyyum! We don't make that much. There are other rates however that rake in the cash a little easier
Old 03-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #28
omgwtfbbq is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1stCivDiv
omgwtfbbq's Tacoma Gallery
Government shutdowns due to budget bickering are nothing new. It's happened a few times before (and I'm not talking Great Depression). Non-essential services (like processing new Social Security benefit claims) get shut down while emergency services continue to run without interruption.

Congress (or was it the House?) approved an interim budget while both sides figure out how to make their parties happy and blame everyone else. If the budget (or another interim budget) isn't approved by the deadline, random silliness like National Parks will close - so I'm sorry if you're a Park Ranger. The military will still get paid and as far as I understand it that's a blanket statement - no distinction between reserve and active here. For more information on government shutdowns, click here.

"Americans want more government than we're willing to pay for."

...Except not all of us want that much government.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #29
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanV13 View Post
Daaaaayyyyyum! We don't make that much. There are other rates however that rake in the cash a little easier
Depending on where you live of course! Thats the shitty thing, most normal types of jobs pay the same overall but when you transfer in the service, you may not get certain benefits you were getting in the previous place! For instance, if I was to transfer instead of get out, I wouldn't be getting near the BAH, or OCONUS Cola that I am getting right now, also my BAS would be lower. And no bonus for reenlisting at this time for me either!
Old 03-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #30
B A N N E D
stevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedstevenstaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: steven
stevenstaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq View Post
Government shutdowns due to budget bickering are nothing new. It's happened a few times before (and I'm not talking Great Depression). Non-essential services (like processing new Social Security benefit claims) get shut down while emergency services continue to run without interruption.

Congress (or was it the House?) approved an interim budget while both sides figure out how to make their parties happy and blame everyone else. If the budget (or another interim budget) isn't approved by the deadline, random silliness like National Parks will close - so I'm sorry if you're a Park Ranger. The military will still get paid and as far as I understand it that's a blanket statement - no distinction between reserve and active here. For more information on government shutdowns, click here.

"Americans want more government than we're willing to pay for."

...Except not all of us want that much government.
very well put im one of the ones who want less government
Old 03-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #31
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGuy711 View Post
You got me. I hope I get paid though. It's going to be tough to work hard knowing we're being screwed. Yeah we'll get back pay eventually but that doesn't make up for the extra money I JUST paid for school on top of tuition assistance and books and now nothing to replenish my account. This is a crappy situation. I say take the money MTV pays Mike the Situation and all the other....people on that show and give it to us!
All I know is that you guys (military) should be the FIRST to get paid.

Thanks for your service

I have a good starting point for wage reduction: Those flaming O-rings in Congress
Old 03-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryWi View Post
All I know is that you guys (military) should be the FIRST to get paid.

Thanks for your service

I have a good starting point for wage reduction: Those flaming O-rings in Congress
Not even my country & our government has same issue, but FIRST off, Cut their fucking pay, they damn well expense everything anyways. they don't need 140k(that close?) a year jobs to sit in a room and argue.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #33
Psalm 109:8
BryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryWi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BryWi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not even my country & our government has same issue, but FIRST off, Cut their fucking pay, they damn well expense everything anyways. they don't need 140k(that close?) a year jobs to sit in a room and argue.
Yeah. The self-proclaimed "ruling class".

I think we are starting to wake up a little bit down here. A lot of the jackasses got voted out this last election cycle and a surprising number have decided not to seek re-election in 2012.

We've got a long way to go, but it's a start...
Old 03-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #34
charles will become famous soon enough
Army:
Name: Charles
charles's Tacoma Gallery
Congress wont allow this. And besides, wouldn't it be a breach of contract?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #35
TTGuy711 has a brilliant futureTTGuy711 has a brilliant futureTTGuy711 has a brilliant futureTTGuy711 has a brilliant futureTTGuy711 has a brilliant futureTTGuy711 has a brilliant futureTTGuy711 has a brilliant futureTTGuy711 has a brilliant futureTTGuy711 has a brilliant futureTTGuy711 has a brilliant futureTTGuy711 has a brilliant future
Air Force: Intel
Name: Jake
TTGuy711's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
Congress wont allow this. And besides, wouldn't it be a breach of contract?
It's funny but I haven't found where in my contract it says I get paid.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTGuy711 View Post
It's funny but I haven't found where in my contract it says I get paid.
x2
Old 03-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #37
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron1mcc View Post
Depending on where you live of course! Thats the shitty thing, most normal types of jobs pay the same overall but when you transfer in the service, you may not get certain benefits you were getting in the previous place! For instance, if I was to transfer instead of get out, I wouldn't be getting near the BAH, or OCONUS Cola that I am getting right now, also my BAS would be lower. And no bonus for reenlisting at this time for me either!
And a lot of military folks get set up by exactly that. Many friends I know who PCS'd from here back to Lower 48 were quite suprised by how much their pay check decreased. It required a totally new budget and made paying off some of the commitments made while getting the bigger check a little difficult. Military folks make sure you're talking to your troops about that. Best way to make the most money is to try for the COT (Consecutive Overseas Tours). My last CONUS tour ended in 1994.

Quote:
I'm sure it can be looked up, but for some reason $179K sticks in my head. And I'm not sure what they spend it on, because I think they get allowances for damn near everything on top of that.

The next step would be term limitations...if two terms is good for the president, why isn't something similar right for these guys. Career Senators and Congressmen are a huge part of the problem IMHO.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:49 AM   #38
Bleh!
Speedway Blue is on a distinguished road
Navy: Airplane Doctor
Name: Mark
Speedway Blue's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's the big corporations that are the puppet masters in Congress. You can't buy happiness with money, but you can control a nation.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #39
Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired
cakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shedcakmakli is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police
cakmakli's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. I can't ever remember not getting paid.

The closest thing that I remember to this was when they went from paying on the last day of the month to the 1st. In that case we went one day without pay. The reason they gave for doing it was that it saved the government a bunch of money.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #40
Senior Citizen
MT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant futureMT Madman has a brilliant future

Air Force: Telecomm Tech
MT Madman's Tacoma Gallery
It shut down twice during my 20 years and at that time the local federal credit union we were members of would deposit your salary into your account, note I said we were members of. Don't know if they'll do that anymore but...