Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

WTF is this mess

Old 03-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #41
Carlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud of
Army:
Carlo's Tacoma Gallery
When I was in the Army stationed in Germany this happened to me....like 20 years ago now. Yep, soldiers were ordered to report to duty even without pay...and guess what you had better dam well do it or your going to jail.
Heck, I was assigned to work at the commissary. What the fuck did I know about groceries, nothing. But, about 10 guys from the MP company I was assigned to were ordered to go. I guess they trusted us with the food more than the tankers or grunts. We corporals decided that we should get some kind of pay for our efforts...quickly commandeered a few cartons of smokes and sodas for our troops. We fucked off in the back of the stock room smoking and joking all week. The E8 in charge of our detail was pissed that he had to be there too. He spent alot of time keeping himself busy at his quarters and left us alone. Dudes, it can happen and it will pass.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #42
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmakli View Post
Wow. I can't ever remember not getting paid.

The closest thing that I remember to this was when they went from paying on the last day of the month to the 1st. In that case we went one day without pay. The reason they gave for doing it was that it saved the government a bunch of money.
I forgot about that one until this...like a walk down memory lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
When I was in the Army stationed in Germany this happened to me....like 20 years ago now. Yep, soldiers were ordered to report to duty even without pay...and guess what you had better dam well do it or your going to jail.
Heck, I was assigned to work at the commissary. What the fuck did I know about groceries, nothing. But, about 10 guys from the MP company I was assigned to were ordered to go. I guess they trusted us with the food more than the tankers or grunts. We corporals decided that we should get some kind of pay for our efforts...quickly commandeered a few cartons of smokes and sodas for our troops. We fucked off in the back of the stock room smoking and joking all week. The E8 in charge of our detail was pissed that he had to be there too. He spent alot of time keeping himself busy at his quarters and left us alone. Dudes, it can happen and it will pass.
So how long did it last? And did it have something to do with essential/non-essential? Did you actually go so long that you missed a payday? Or was it more of a no funding to operate equipment?

I'm just asking because I think you might be talking about the same period of time in 1985 that I wrote about earlier, but I don't remember us doing anything differently or not getting paid. Just wondering if it had varying effects across the DoD?

Most importantly though, your closing statement is right on the money! Don't everyone start panicking over this; the idiots in Washington will sort it out and push through a budget. Don't let the media hype get you anxious.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #43
Carlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud ofCarlo has much to be proud of
Army:
Carlo's Tacoma Gallery
We did not get pay for about a month...so, we missed one payday. But, on the next payday they made up for most of it, and the balance on the following month. Civilians did not have to come to work, but GI's did. Since the Army needed to let the military families get food, they had to keep the grocery store open. But, it was just the basic items after things ran out. Meat, milk, bread, cheese ect. I believe it was in 93 or 94. We did not have any equipment to run. I was assigned to a military prison where we had American servicemen and women incarcerated. On our post, we had infantry and CH46 helo squadron. I dont remember seeing the helos flying much during that time, so it's possible they were grounded. I know that the civilians that worked on the choppers did not come to work. They used to take there beer breaks just outside the barracks I lived in. We used to laugh at the german mechanics drinking beer two to three times a day, and working on our heavy lift helicopters...glad I only flew in them one time. We gave the GI's that were their support personnel a hard time telling them, "oh poor you....now your going to have to fix your own aircraft."
Old 03-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #44
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
If there's going to be a government shut down, then let's shut down ALL federal government services. No SAR by the Coast Guard or Air Force. No air traffic control. Close all the interstates. No Boarder Patrol or Customs Service. Social Security checks stopped (with no back pay). Stop all payments to A-76 scabs. No Secret Service protection for anyone. Nothing. Let all these A-holes that hate the government do without!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #45
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomathom View Post
If there's going to be a government shut down, then let's shut down ALL federal government services. No SAR by the Coast Guard or Air Force. No air traffic control. Close all the interstates. No Boarder Patrol or Customs Service. Social Security checks stopped (with no back pay). Stop all payments to A-76 scabs. No Secret Service protection for anyone. Nothing. Let all these A-holes that hate the government do without!
Good idea Chief!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #46
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
The government has been operating under a Continuing Resolution Amendment (CRA) since the beginning of the FY on Oct 1 ,2010.
Congress has extended the amendment several times & more than likely will do so again.
Here is the lastest amendment:

Basically it releases limited funds based on the General Budget Office (GBO) guidance & planning. CBO was founded on July 12, 1974, with the enactment of the Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act.

This typically happens though not to this extent as in this year. Lots of factors play into it but it starts with projections, previous distributions, changes in offices etc.

Yes essential and non-essential work is identified within all Federal Agencies.
The last time this happened to my knowledge I was on AD, in either 1999 or 2000, they sent all non-essential fed employees home for a couple of days. We all worked. Our pay was not effected.

All the gory details are outlined on GBO's website or govexec.com, OPM.gov, USA.gov. FWIW, a private publishing company, Gannett Co., owns the Army, AF, Navy, Federal times.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Amendment149toHR1.pdf (63.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #47
slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.
Leggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeggo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Leggo's Tacoma Gallery
I know of people who keep having kids to keep getting welfare. There should at the least, be a limit as to haw many they can have and after that they are shut off. It is cheaper to prop up these people to a small degree because not doing so will cost ten times more in the long run (medical, jail & court cost,overall expense to the state over time). It kills me that we pay out so easily and people take advantage of it. It happens everywhere. In business as well, look around and you will see people abusing the system some way. Unemployment is so high because company's figured out they didn't need all the workers they had on the payroll. They now get more from less workers. If we want to dent the debt, we need to get out of the world police business.