Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

USAFR involvement in times of crisis.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
The_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The_Dude's Tacoma Gallery
USAFR involvement in times of crisis.

Hey guys, I was just wondering if the Air Force Reserve gets involved in times of crisis in other countries like the Air National Guard does. For example, the current earthquake/tsunami situation in Japan. I have been entertaining the thought of flying with the Air Force Reserves and would REALLY like to be a part of the humanitarian relief side of things. Of course there are all kinds of missions but my question is just if humanitarian aid is one them.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
Hey guys, I was just wondering if the Air Force Reserve gets involved in times of crisis in other countries like the Air National Guard does. For example, the current earthquake/tsunami situation in Japan. I have been entertaining the thought of flying with the Air Force Reserves and would REALLY like to be a part of the humanitarian relief side of things. Of course there are all kinds of missions but my question is just if humanitarian aid is one them.

Thanks!
Definitely yes...Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve share a practically equal amount of the load to the active duty side. Especially when it comes to the aircrews. I work in an en route squadron (Air Mobility Sq). We see as many Reserve and Guard crews as we do Active Duty. And on the non-flyer side they're tasked for tours to Iraq/Afghanistan also.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
The_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe_Dude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The_Dude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQQSE View Post
Definitely yes...Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve share a practically equal amount of the load to the active duty side. Especially when it comes to the aircrews. I work in an en route squadron (Air Mobility Sq). We see as many Reserve and Guard crews as we do Active Duty. And on the non-flyer side they're tasked for tours to Iraq/Afghanistan also.
Perfect. Appreciate the response!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
hey MQQSE,

how has your truck held up for you so far, mileage ? have you been wheeling around jims creek ?
No issues to date (knocks on wood), I'm at 42K now, bought it last May with 24K.

I don't wheel with the truck; but I do have ATVs and have been down to Jim Creek some.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA, SAF
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
Definitely! As the Active Duty AF has shrunk more than 50% over the past 15-20 years, the Air Reserve Component stepped-up to what's become a full partnership in accomplishing virtually every mission set.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
Piss off
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
only difference is guard also gets the state missions for natural disasters. from the way i understand it, reserves cannot because they dont report to the govenor. we've been tasked for hurricane/wildfire relief in state as well as being tasked to go to other states that we have agreements with.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
The ARNG or ANG operates under Title 32, need Federal orders to go Title 10 ie. deployment in support of Federal Mission. The exception is on drill weekend (24 days/yr) + 15 extra days for unit specific mission essential training. Referred to as AT. Anything above and beyond that you have to get approval for.
In the Guard it always comes down to who is paying either State or Fed.
Not sure about the Reserve.
The Titles are the laws in which you operate, benefits, UCMJ, & FUNDING.

Humanitarian Relief needs an executive order to have either the Reserve or Guard deploy. On all Federal Call ups even people in the IRR or Retire Ready Reserve can get called up. Of course you gotta clear the Readiness Processing Station. I saw a lot of this during Desert Storm.
Now since its more ongoing & more spread out, there are individual volunteer tours you can sign up for. Recently I knew of a retired 06 who volunteered to go to Afghanistan passed the SRP & off he went.