Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Registered Nurse in the Military

Old 04-04-2011, 04:03 AM   #21
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJammn5 View Post
you're awesome man, thanks I got it.

Sounds like a revolving door. So the comradery between the staff is probably broken a little as new staff are flowing in and out every few years. Working in a tent, a ship, etc. 'Sounds' like fun, but I know reality can dictate otherwise.

I know going in commissioned, officers have to go through training, but do they also go through boot camp? Not a problem for me or a determining factor for raising my right hand.

Caduceus-As a nurse, would you go navy or nay? kind of a hard question but just curious. Do you see the benefits of healthcare work outside the military system better for your personal life?
I'm actually a doc in the Navy.

OIS = Officer Indoctrination School = the Navy's wimpy version of boot for officers. 6 weeks, used to be Rhode Island (might still be), pretty easy. Not the "in your face" boot you see in movies or TV.

Yeah, lots of revolving door. Also disgruntled folks that didn't get what they want, but it's only a year!

I used to work in an ER as a civilian. The benefits of military life are pretty good. Usually good hours, free health care, retirement at 20 years, decent salary (nurses are probably on par w/ civilian, usually), respect. The downside is the occasional break from your family, which can be good or bad. Civilian life is nice cuz you can work OT, work a second job easier, often better advancement opportunities. Depends on what you like.

Might be worth looking into other opportunities for nursing too, public health corps and things of that nature. Plus, there are civilian contract jobs at military facilities.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:44 AM   #22
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
I don't just mean taking orders and such. I mean being stuck on a unit you don't like. Ie, medsurg when you want to be in the ER, then getting transferred to Cards when you ask for ICU... not sure how every unit works, but the hospital I worked, the nurses changed every 1-2 years. Plus, you have corpsmen doing the same thing (changing), then you have deployments taking people out ,and it's a very fluid environment.

Don't get me wrong, it's great to do "whatever" for the patient - MRI, surgery, whatever, without worrying about insurance. But you have to be prepared to suddenly be working in a desert in a tent, or being sent to a Public Health clinic in Africa, or working a ship after an earthquake. Very cool, but not necessarily a stable work environment.
Sounds like even more reason to go Air Guard...from my limited knowledge of course. My mothers service was during a much different time for our nation. AFAIK the air guard is still less fluid and a much tighter type of unit.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #23
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
I'm actually a doc in the Navy.

OIS = Officer Indoctrination School = the Navy's wimpy version of boot for officers. 6 weeks, used to be Rhode Island (might still be), pretty easy. Not the "in your face" boot you see in movies or TV.

Yeah, lots of revolving door. Also disgruntled folks that didn't get what they want, but it's only a year!

I used to work in an ER as a civilian. The benefits of military life are pretty good. Usually good hours, free health care, retirement at 20 years, decent salary (nurses are probably on par w/ civilian, usually), respect. The downside is the occasional break from your family, which can be good or bad. Civilian life is nice cuz you can work OT, work a second job easier, often better advancement opportunities. Depends on what you like.

Might be worth looking into other opportunities for nursing too, public health corps and things of that nature. Plus, there are civilian contract jobs at military facilities.
Ah you're a doc. very cool. I used to work ER as a tech/EMT. I'm working on a tele unit now as an LVN... and then RN soon. Maybe I'll finish taking a bunch of chem and physics and try my luck at the MCAT. I used to work w/ an ER Doc that was a prior RN, at any rate...

So you can't work OT in the Navy as a nurse?

I've looked into public health briefly, but I should delve deeper. One of the main forces driving me to the Military is my school debt. I want to pay it off as fast as possible. Sure, we're all in debt till we die but I don't wanna get comfortable w/ that mindset.