Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Who Should Get A ... "Purple Heart" VOTE FOR TWO

View Poll Results: State Status: Miltary, Former, Civilian/Should "non-traditional" injuries get a PH?
Military 101 62.35%
Former Military 56 34.57%
Civilian 24 14.81%
YES to PH for PTSD/Traumatic Brain Injuries/etc 97 59.88%
No to PH for PTSD/Traumatic Brain Injuries/etc 39 24.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2011, 02:30 AM   #41
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaibuilt View Post

***edit*** - its well known that theres a huge homeless population of vets, many of whom started self medicating with alcohol and drugs because of what they experienced (TBI, PTSD, etc) and it's only now that our technology and understanding has come to the point that we can recognize and diagnose these problems. Lets all hope the VA can get their shit together and start improving services and ratings for service members of our current wars.
A-fucking-men.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:47 AM   #42
TW's BAD MF'er Squad
Dirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Dean
Dirty5Thirty's Tacoma Gallery
A good friend of mine did a tour through Iraq a while back, and has an unmistakable case of PTSD. He has never talked in depth about his experiences in Iraq, if I remember correctly: he was separated from his unit in combat, and while separated, he was shot in the chest by an insurgent with an AK (his vest stopped the round), and was hit by a significant amount of shrapnel on his right side, although he never specified exactly what it was that hit him.

I voted yes to PH for PTSD/TBI. Your body heals... but emotional damage is not so easy to fix. Whenever he feels like he's gonna be the odd man out, or is in a situation where he could potentially be "left behind", he gets incredibly anxious and edgy, almost to say he's fearful, without specifically showing that he is scared. It's hard to describe...
Old 05-30-2011, 04:11 AM   #43
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
I've been going to the VA Hospital here in wichita for about 2 years now for PTSD/TBI and other stuff (neck and shoulder injury, fragmentation) and I can honestly say that I've never recieved a better level of care. The staff over there is phoenominal and bend backwards to take care of people and work to resolve even the smallest stuff. I know that any issues I might have I can go and be seen without any hassle or worry. The VA here has active outreach to help those vets who need it. I tend to get a little defensive when ihear people slam the VA, They have had thier laundry exposed, but I truly believe that they are turning that around.
My .02
Old 05-30-2011, 04:35 AM   #44
U no kea but AINOFEA!
kauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shedkauaibuilt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 66H now w/ PHS
kauaibuilt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetik873 View Post
I've been going to the VA Hospital here in wichita for about 2 years now for PTSD/TBI and other stuff (neck and shoulder injury, fragmentation) and I can honestly say that I've never recieved a better level of care. The staff over there is phoenominal and bend backwards to take care of people and work to resolve even the smallest stuff. I know that any issues I might have I can go and be seen without any hassle or worry. The VA here has active outreach to help those vets who need it. I tend to get a little defensive when ihear people slam the VA, They have had thier laundry exposed, but I truly believe that they are turning that around.
My .02
I agree, slowly but surely theyre making headway. You can tell a lot of the VA staff love their job and go out of their way to assist vets. What is probably their biggest problem is their bureacracy.

Of course things like this dont help much.

What makes life hardest for the VA is the sympathy an injured vet brings in the media and federal budget cuts. All it takes is 1 vet or a family member to go in front of the cameras, cry, and say what a horrible job the VA is doing. With budgetary issues and the sheer amount of wounded it's unfortunate that these issues occur. However that doesnt excuse the VA from taking as long as they do to process claims and make determinations as well as appropriate referrals.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:02 AM   #45
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I have a coworker that just received PH status for injuries stemming from Agent Orange in Vietnam he has full blown Parkinson’s the Gov is just now fessing up to the effects of Agent Orange interestingly it was not him that requested it, it was suggested by the VA. An injury is an injury if sustained in combat even if you can’t see it. And yes in belongs to the military alone.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:53 AM   #46
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
I firmly believe that the PH should be military only. I do think that PTSD and traumatic brain injuries should rate the PH but only if the person qualified for a CAR. I don't care how rough or brutal the chow line was - it wasn't that bad.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:09 AM   #47
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ I was reading the other day that a lot of people who are fobbits are getting PTSD'd because they cannot deal with getting mortared, or attacked and return fire.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #48
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
^ I was reading the other day that a lot of people who are fobbits are getting PTSD'd because they cannot deal with getting mortared, or attacked and return fire.

I understand that not everyone can be frontline - but unless you actually have a job where you have to gear up and man a post/position then wtf?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:42 AM   #49

I agree, but maybe better stress management or range days for the fob guys. something to blow off steam.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #50

Quote:
I agree, but maybe better stress management or range days for the fob guys. something to blow off steam.

They get regular hours and all the gym time, xbox, and internet access they can handle... almost takes the deployment out of war. Either way boredom has always been the biggest problem over there.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:34 AM   #51
Quad D will become famous soon enough
Army: 4ID 1BCT, CET/PSD 2tours
Name: Quad
Quad D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
They get regular hours and all the gym time, xbox, and internet access they can handle... almost takes the deployment out of war. Either way boredom has always been the biggest problem over there.
Quote:
I understand that not everyone can be frontline - but unless you actually have a job where you have to gear up and man a post/position then wtf?
Quote:
AGREED!!! Though not all "front line" jobs are combat mos's. Especially on a 360 deg battlefield. Although I'm willing to put a HUGE bet on the fact that a large majority of PTSD cases are from "fobbits", or "TOC roaches". And IME most of those cases aren't PTSD at all, they are a "way out" for someone that goes home, gets trashed, does something really stupid...and is looking for a way out of the trouble. Or a way for some quack to just PROVE that "ANYONE CAN GET PTSD". I've seen it. And I've read the FB posts about TOC guys and the "terrible missions" they go on and "all the guys they kill". I've been in a support batt. for my whole time in, I'm a 92F...fueler. Never touched a DROP of fuel. All I've done is PSD and CET, and that's all I've trained for. A lot of guys get this "inferior" complex about being support and stayin' on a fob. I don't, I go out on the road daily. And not just the MSR's. Thing is, all these guys SHOULDN'T get a PTSD PH just cause their girl left them, or they are addicted to something, or they just don't think they're "special" without one. And in turn the PH would be degraded. I don't think the risk of degrading the medal is worth the small % of people to get it trade off. So would we need to "categorize" PTSD...it would have to be accompanied by a CAB/CIB/CMB I would agree.
I also read an interesting report in a book on PTSD that showed physical fitness levels affected the amount of PTSD cases in a unit. The more fit you are, the better you are able to handle the stress/trauma. And one HUGE advantage to being a fobbit is the regular hours and the gym schedule. So they should be a lot less likely to succumb to PTSD.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #52
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
This is going off-track for a moment, but I wonder if the Fobbits that claim it actually have a point in some respects. Let's face it, over here, they have 88M's (truck drivers) manning OP's, as one example. It's not necessarily a job they're trained for, right?

One could make the assumption, then, that they probably don't have adequate training on how to handle combat stress and the like. Does that make them more likely (proportionally) to have issues afterward?

"I planned on running convoys, but instead I was shooting up jingle trucks" might really get to someone.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #53
Quad D will become famous soon enough
Army: 4ID 1BCT, CET/PSD 2tours
Name: Quad
Quad D's Tacoma Gallery
There is no "how to handle death and destruction" training. We are ALL soldiers, we go to the same basic trainings and come from the same posts. We learn different skill sets, and we keep our selves around different people. Sure 11B's get more range time, and some different equipment. Who isn't trained for guard duty??? I've never had a class on it and sat in MANY towers. It's not the job that makes the man basically. We all have the same quarterly training in the Army. If you go out the wire, you go out, and if you don't you don't.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad D View Post
There is no "how to handle death and destruction" training..
I understand and agree w/ most of your post.

However, the above sentence... .I'm pretty sure the mortuary affairs MOS gets training in this - at least according to the few I've run across. Just saying.

Back on topic...
Old 05-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #55

Sadly I hate to say the biggest disservice the Army is doing to its soldiers is the 18 month deployments. I am willing to bet that is probably one of the highest contributors to PTSD among anything. The mind can handle that level of stress for just so long. Six months isn't bad, 8 months can get pretty dang old... but 18 months and I would of lost my mind.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #56
Look'n like a fool with your pants on the ground..
shane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shedshane100700 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Engineer, MSG (SMI, ROTC)
shane100700's Tacoma Gallery
There are no 18 month deployments. Maybe a Nat Guard or Reserve guy gets mobilized for 18 months but not in theater. We did do 15 month deployments during the surge, but that was a brief time and we all sucked it up.

But to comment on the topic;
As long as it is verified "combat related" and none of this new generation talking about hurt feelings and using PTSD (non combat) as an excuse to get out of shit. Yes if you've seen your classmates or family gunned down in civilian life that is a real cause for PTSD but it seems to be the new ADHD for a lot of our younger troops.

I mean the Army had to start a whole new program (Master Resiliency Training) just to help newer LT's and Soldiers deal with "normal" everyday stress.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #57
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My .02
Dealing with the VA (VAMCs & VAROs) has gotten a lot better ... but is still the "luck of the draw" ... and your location and who you get as a doctor & etc.

But it is a much better VA than 20 or 30 years ago and during RVN (about 1970) the VA was really bad in some parts of the country. Again, it was the "luck of the draw" in your location and who you got as a doctor.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #58
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery

BIG time changes in PTSD rules now ... so, based on those very new VA rules ... I would vote no for a PH for PTSD as of the new rule change ... but would continue to vote yes for a PH due to a TBI.

Basically, the new VA rules are ... you do not have to have the "PTSD combat stressor event(s)" listed in your military records anymore.

It is on the "honor system" now and the VA staff therapist just has to believe you and list you as a veteran with PTSD in your VA medical records.

This downside to a VA PTSD diagnosis is starting though ... private sector companies are starting to not hire PTSD veterans due to their company's liability & health insurance carriers.

And some want to look more closely at gun permits & etc. for anyone with an official PTSD diagnosis.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post

And some want to look more closely at gun permits & etc. for anyone with an official PTSD diagnosis.

BINGO!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #60
burnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedburnt_tiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired
burnt_tiger's Tacoma Gallery
no to PTSD

The thing about PTSD also is that its easy to fake. if you check off enough of the boxs on the test. trouble sleeping- check, nightmares- check ect ect. Then you get your 30-50% disablity and a monthly check. its far to easy to fake for the fobbits.

im not saying its not real ive lost buddies to suicide and some who still struggle with it, myself included. but to a certain extent it simply the price we (combat arms) know we will pay (along with fucked up knees and back).