Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Who Should Get A ... "Purple Heart" VOTE FOR TWO

View Poll Results: State Status: Miltary, Former, Civilian/Should "non-traditional" injuries get a PH?
Military 101 62.35%
Former Military 56 34.57%
Civilian 24 14.81%
YES to PH for PTSD/Traumatic Brain Injuries/etc 97 59.88%
No to PH for PTSD/Traumatic Brain Injuries/etc 39 24.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #61
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a different wrinkle for you all to think about on ... Purple Heart vs Disability vs PTSD . . . This happened last week at the VAMC (VA Medical Center)

. . . . . . . . . . .

Early in the AM at the VAMC ... I am talking to a guy (OIF Veteran #1) who did not have a PH ... his armored vehicles hit IEDs 3 times and he had a TBI, hearing loss and mega PTSD and no PH. I am no shrink, but his PTSD was very obvious.

Veteran #1 was also having difficulty getting his disability rating above 10% because he had no PH to push through his PTSD claim faster & higher (yes, with no PH, this does unofficially happen).

. . . . . . . . . . .

About noon ... I am talking to another guy (OIF Veteran #2) who "calls the VA a good racket" and I am wondering why and ask him.

Veteran #2 got a PH from a minor injury and with that PH ... he also claimed PTSD.

Now, with a PH the VA tends to push your rating for PTSD through faster and to a higher level.

IMHO ... Veteran #2 (with a PH) did not deserve the TDIU 70% rating paid at the 100% rate ... and the Veteran #1 (without a PH) deserved a much higher rating than 10%.

Both these situations made me even more confused on this issue.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #62
fjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfjfar80 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
fjfar80's Tacoma Gallery
Here are my thoughts...and a little background. I am the son of a career Special Operations guy...he served 35 years in the military and has a ton of ribbons / medals / etc. most of the reasons surrounding which are classified. So, I know the US military and I know what results from combat both physically and emotionally.

I have never served in the military due to a genetic bone disease making me ineligible for service. However, I was a private military contractor supporting various United States government efforts through the Department of Defense, Department of State, and other government agencies. I spent significant time in Iraq all over the country with some very talented and patriotic contractors. I have tons of contractor friends (all ex-military - 90% ex-special operations) who have been injured and / or killed while serving in various combat zones as contractors. Many of whom were very highly decorated while in the US military. The injuries / deaths resulted from everything from IED's to hand-to-hand combat.

So, my thoughts are that I think Purple Hearts should be reserved for those who are either military or civilian contractors directly serving on a US government contract with a US government agency (DOD, DOS, CIA, NSA, etc.) and are physically injured in direct combat activities with "enemy" forces or the implements of "enemy" forces (i.e. IED's). This should include Traumatic Brain Injuries but, should exclude PTSD.

Just my $.02. I have the utmost respect for everyone that has served and I certainly have admiration for those that are impacted by PTSD (including family and friends) but, I don't think it quantifies as a true physical wound from combat and that is what the Purple Heart was originally intended for. I also know that PTSD can be more damaging than a physical wound...but, these are just my thoughts on the subject.

- Mark
Old 08-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #63
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjfar80 View Post
Here are my thoughts...and a little background. I am the son of a career Special Operations guy...he served 35 years in the military and has a ton of ribbons / medals / etc. most of the reasons surrounding which are classified. So, I know the US military and I know what results from combat both physically and emotionally.

I have never served in the military due to a genetic bone disease making me ineligible for service. However, I was a private military contractor supporting various United States government efforts through the Department of Defense, Department of State, and other government agencies. I spent significant time in Iraq all over the country with some very talented and patriotic contractors. I have tons of contractor friends (all ex-military - 90% ex-special operations) who have been injured and / or killed while serving in various combat zones as contractors. Many of whom were very highly decorated while in the US military. The injuries / deaths resulted from everything from IED's to hand-to-hand combat.

So, my thoughts are that I think Purple Hearts should be reserved for those who are either military or civilian contractors directly serving on a US government contract with a US government agency (DOD, DOS, CIA, NSA, etc.) and are physically injured in direct combat activities with "enemy" forces or the implements of "enemy" forces (i.e. IED's). This should include Traumatic Brain Injuries but, should exclude PTSD.

Just my $.02. I have the utmost respect for everyone that has served and I certainly have admiration for those that are impacted by PTSD (including family and friends) but, I don't think it quantifies as a true physical wound from combat and that is what the Purple Heart was originally intended for. I also know that PTSD can be more damaging than a physical wound...but, these are just my thoughts on the subject.

- Mark

I agree, I am a civilian contractor in Afghanistan right now, I had one of my co-workers/friends leave base because of shrapnel from IDF and the reason he had to leave because the military wouldn't treat him or give him pain meds. the only thing they would do is prevent infection and death. several civilians have been killed serving our country that never get honored.

That being said the soldiers that are outside the wire hands down deserve it no matter what the injury. Im not putting civilians above the military, You sacrifice so much just to be in the military. and the military is put into those sketchy situations more often than civilians.

they very rarely Issue weapons to civilians, so a vast majority of civilians have to rely on the military to step up if the base is attacked. I tell you what I'd sleep a lot better with an M-16 next to my bed.

they are removing more troops and putting more civilians in to "look" like we are drawing troops down.

Again I stress the military is on a pedestal as they should be and they definitely deserve the respect they get and even more.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #64
Airborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirborne09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
Name: Tim
Airborne09's Tacoma Gallery
Touchy subject for me.
Had a complex attack on my FOB a couple months ago, I was blown back about 15 feet by a VBIED blast got knocked out for a second, got up heard small arms and I engaged the enemy... After everything was done, I got sent to BAF for further treatment. I received my PH from shrapnel from the blast (my second award, got my first one last deployment when my truck hit and IED and broke my leg). But while I was there in BAF there were dozens of people there "with concussions" even though I know they were on the other side of the FOB and claiming they were knocked out. Granted they may have been hit by the blast wave but I highly doubt they were knocked out (all speculation I don't know for sure, but going by the way they acted). Moral of my story is, that people will claim stuff just to get ahead of the game now days so it will put more shit on their ERB and they can get out with disability. There are people out there at truly do deserve PH, but then there are fakers every where ruining it for the rest of it. That's just my opinion.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #65
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne09 View Post
Touchy subject for me.
Had a complex attack on my FOB a couple months ago, I was blown back about 15 feet by a VBIED blast got knocked out for a second, got up heard small arms and I engaged the enemy... After everything was done, I got sent to BAF for further treatment. I received my PH from shrapnel from the blast (my second award, got my first one last deployment when my truck hit and IED and broke my leg). But while I was there in BAF there were dozens of people there "with concussions" even though I know they were on the other side of the FOB and claiming they were knocked out. Granted they may have been hit by the blast wave but I highly doubt they were knocked out (all speculation I don't know for sure, but going by the way they acted). Moral of my story is, that people will claim stuff just to get ahead of the game now days so it will put more shit on their ERB and they can get out with disability. There are people out there at truly do deserve PH, but then there are fakers every where ruining it for the rest of it. That's just my opinion.
I say blood or breaks=PH, everything else gets a letter of Sick Call Warrior in their folder.