LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Who Should Get A ... "Purple Heart" VOTE FOR TWO

View Poll Results: State Status: Miltary, Former, Civilian/Should "non-traditional" injuries get a PH?
Military 101 62.35%
Former Military 56 34.57%
Civilian 24 14.81%
YES to PH for PTSD/Traumatic Brain Injuries/etc 97 59.88%
No to PH for PTSD/Traumatic Brain Injuries/etc 39 24.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #1
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Who Should Get A ... "Purple Heart" VOTE FOR TWO

... EDIT ... with new poll (thanks to 98acoma27) ... don't forget to to vote twice ... (1) status & then (2) your vote

I have been watching this new "Purple Heart" debate in Congress & the DoD now and would like to know your thoughts.

Thoughts of those .... (1) in the military .... (2) have been in the military ..... (3) and those who have not been in the military.

Without googling it ...the basic rules for a "Purple Heart" up until now ... that the injury had to basically draw blood in a combat and be caused by an enemy.

Now, before you vote ... a few things to think about ...

Many in WW1 who were gassed with poison gas such as mustard gas in combat were not given a "Purple Heart". I grew up with my grandfather and he was in WW1 and was hit with shrapnel and gassed ... but was only given a PH for his shrapnel wound. His gas injury was in field combat in France and was much, much worse than his shrapnel injury.

I was injured twice (very minor surface injuries) and received 2 PHs in RVN. My last injury was a broken back (much worse than surface injuries) and I did not receive a PH for that back injury.

Now, with so many TBIs (Traumatic Brain Injuries) and concussions in Iraq & Afghanistan .. should those injured soldiers get a PH too ?

Should PHs be awarded to those with PTSD too ... PTSD can be worse than a major wound.

Just curious on your "military status" and what you think about the "PH Debate"

I tried to set up a poll ... but did not know how to do so ... maybe a poll could be set up on this too ...

Please consider ALL injuries as a direct result of combat in this debate - and please post your thoughts and comments - thanks ....
Old 03-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
How's that?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
How's that?

Thanks a lot ... and they can vote for 2 ... (1) Military status & (2) Their vote ....

Old 03-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
shit happens then you die
jobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Josh
jobrien's Tacoma Gallery
1st civillian WOOP WOOP
Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
I think any injury caused by enemy action, that requires medical treatment, rates a Purple Heart. Not all wounds bleed. The Purple Heart should be for Military only, not contractors in a combat zone.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Beaver Believer
tencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedtencrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 4th BCT 25th ID Airborne
Name: Wes
tencrawler's Tacoma Gallery
I received my PH for a minor shrapnel wound from a rocket and mortar attack, but the anxiety and depression during/following my deployment and the time following my return to civilian life was much harder to overcome than the scrape on my chin. On a separate note, I "earned" my Combat Action Badge and Army Commendation Medal with Valor Device; it's been a while since I have relived that day, and just wanted to take the time to remember our fallen and thank those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:28 AM   #8
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
The Purple Heart should be for military only! Yes on the Purple Heart for PTSD some wounds cant be seen and never will heal. Thank God for all who who stand up for the USA. May they never stop showing up in our time of need. RVN river boats 68&69. Jim
Old 03-29-2011, 06:21 AM   #9
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
im torn between the purple heart for PTSD debate. i understand some ppl do get it. but Ive also seen far more ppl that didn't see 1 second of combat claim PTSD. now that to me is complete bullshit. but once again theirs really no way to prove one way or the other. so from what Ive seen id say no to purple heart for PTSD until they can come up with a way to prove a lot of ppl are complete lairs and shouldn't receive anything
Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #10
BUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt
Name: Anthony
BUB_IROC_Z's Tacoma Gallery
I am a combat Vet. I served 2 tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan. I was stabbed in the hand and took shrapnel to the legs and arms. All healed fine. I didn't receive a purple heart for some bull shit "command reasons". I have a horrible case of PTSD. I would rather be PTSD free and have a profusely bleeding wound on my body somewhere. Just saying.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #11
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUB_IROC_Z View Post
I am a combat Vet. I served 2 tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan. I was stabbed in the hand and took shrapnel to the legs and arms. All healed fine. I didn't receive a purple heart for some bull shit "command reasons". I have a horrible case of PTSD. I would rather be PTSD free and have a profusely bleeding wound on my body somewhere. Just saying.
Im lost here was the shrapnel from a booby trap? If so i dont think it came from one of our boys. Some times command reasons dont pass the smell test. Write your Senator and see if you can get a meeting with him or her this summer. You would like to volunteer for USMC PTSD evaluation. Dont stop trying, Thanks for your service. Jim
Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
Junior Senior Member
warpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud of

Army: Motor Pool
Name: Vaughn
warpwr's Tacoma Gallery
I'm ex Army but I want to talk about my son instead.
He was in Iraq in the Army in '03.
He has PTSD and he also slipped off an armored vehicle while on guard in pitch black darkness and hit his face on the side of it. Knocked out a tooth and it had to be sewn up.
No Purple Hearts for him.
A good friend of mine was wounded in Vietnam in combat with the 7th Air Cav. A round went through his hand and wound up in his rear end. He still has the round along with his purple heart framed on his wall.
Another friend lost an arm and part of his face to a roadside bomb in Iraq, he has a purple heart.
And this brave young man was a casual friend of mine. You can see his purple heart at the link below and his name in the credits of the movie We Were Soldiers.
http://www.virtualwall.org/dc/CarnevaleDJ01a.htm

Personally, I'm satisfied with the Purple Heart award just the way it stands.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:01 AM   #13
Molon Labe
CoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoalMedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: now Paramedic/Firefighter
CoalMedic's Tacoma Gallery
I've got one from my experience with an IED in Iraq. Tore off a good chunk of my face and my right eye. I also received a TBI that wasn't caught for 1.5 years, after I raised hell about it. I was one of the first in the nation to undergo TBI testing and treatment following my discharge.
I am torn about the TBI/PTSD debate.
I'm inclined to say "no" to PTSD and "yes" to TBI. I say that because TBI can be clinically proven, whereas PSTD is much harder to clinically define. There are clinical signs that accompany a TBI, reduced brain function, memory loss, etc, whereas PTSD is more symptom based.

Both can ruin a person's life. I'm not calling anyone who has PTSD a liar, because it is absolutely no fun at all. I've undergone 5 years of therapy in order to function as well as I am, which is still not to the level I was 10 years ago when I joined the Corps. (Please no Marine jokes, this is a serious post).

Therefore, I voted "military" only. I'm up for an adult debate about why you think PTSD would rate a Purple Heart. I'd gladly trade mine back in to have my old head back and vision back in my eye.

Before I close, thank you all who have stood up for this country.
Semper Fi.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #14

FWIW ........ New DoD funded research for blood work to detect TBIs ... maybe ...

Link to story --> http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...dod-grant.html

Atlanta Business Chronicle
Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 2:11pm EDT - Last Modified: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 5:04pm EDT

Read more: KSU prof gets $2.4M DOD grant | Atlanta Business Chronicle

A Kennesaw State University professor won a $2.4 million U.S. Department of Defense grant to validate a blood test aimed at diagnosing concussions or mild traumatic brain injuries (mTBI).
The test, developed by KSU Distinguished Professor of Health and Human Services Svetlana Dambinova, is able to assess a brain injury without the benefit of neuroimaging technology such as CT scans and MRIs, KSU said. According to Dambinova, the blood test detects a peptide that is released into the bloodstream after an injury to the brain, which can cause a concussion or mTBI.

“This is especially helpful in a combat situation when those devices are not available because the quicker a brain injury is diagnosed, the better the chances for successful treatment,” Dambinova said in a statement.
Dambinova also said the hope is that her test can diagnose mTBI immediately or soon after the injury, as well as determine the severity of the injury.

About 1.7 million cases of traumatic brain injury (TBI) occur every year. And nearly 52,000 people die every year from TBI, while an estimated 5.3 million people live with a TBI-related disability. People with untreated concussions have a higher chance of stroke and epilepsy.

Dambinova will work with researchers from KSU, Penn State Hershey Medical Center and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center to draw blood to test for peptide levels from 21- to -30 year-olds who have suffered a sports-related mTBI in the previous 24 hours.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:08 AM   #15
Banned
03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
03taco's Tacoma Gallery
my story, we were on patrol through ------valley its pretty much pergatory right before you get to hell well we were the third truck in the patrol and our buffalo cam up behind us in the midst of the night and started interegationg a previous blast hole then hit there white lights which stunned me through my nods and i hollered down from the gun to the drive "hey can you pull up a little bit please the buffalo is interegating a blast hole" no sooner did i finish my sentence a loud boom followed by a shower of rocks gravel and other misc debry rained down on my head causing minimal scratches, the rest of my truck was dazed and confused truck was airborne for a little bit and the buffalo dameged there shovel and arm, everyone is fine. i dont know what you think about the ph award but thats the closest i ever want to come to getting it
Old 03-31-2011, 06:53 AM   #16
tacomunchkin is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Flyboy
tacomunchkin's Tacoma Gallery
I'm still trying to convince my buddy he needs to put in for a purple heart after he slipped in a bath tub and cut himself. The best part is I spend the better part of the night in a 3rd world hospital to get him stitched up.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #17
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
I wasn't in the military.

I consider some of the not so obvious injuries that are combat related worthy of the PH.I would have to qualify it though (since the poll doesn't distinguish). There are injuries that meet the requirement right up to the blood part and should be considered. The TBI is a prime example. Broken bones are another.

I'm torn on the PTSD thing though. I don't know what the right answer is.

I do believe that military and former military should be the only recipients.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:09 AM   #18
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Former air force... yea you should absolutely get a PH for PTSD.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:12 AM   #19
The Professional
c0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 3rd SFG(A)
c0b2a's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to c0b2a
Absolutely not. I am active and I say no way. PTSD can be real yes, but its effects all depend on the person, how mentally strong they are and if they even report it. There are plenty of weak minded individuals out there that come under 1 mortar attack, shit their pants, and claim their head is fucked for the rest of there lives because of it. It is bullshit that people want an award for this.

Where are all the PTSD "survivors " from WW2. They were some shell shocked dudes, but they dealt with their issues and went home and were successful in life, and they never once asked for some award for "seeing what I did." I am not saying don't give military members help with PTSD, but at some point people need to be told to fucking suck it up and move on, that's fucking war, this is your profession by your choice.
Harden the Fuck Up - seriously a generation of touchy feely coddling to the tit retards.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:14 AM   #20
The Professional
c0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 3rd SFG(A)
c0b2a's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to c0b2a
PS TBI is real and can be proven, so Yes to that.