1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shipping to APO, why is this so "problematic"

Discussion in 'Military' started by CCFBERG, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Apr 5, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    CCFBERG

CCFBERG [OP] The Shocker and Me Tall Dark TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    LRAFB Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 SR5 DBL cab
    Kenwood 516 DD head unit, Kenwood 12" sub, Kenwood 1800W amp, Brighter reverse light mod, 2nd Air filter ripped out, Tailgate anti-theft. Fog light anytime. Rearview mirror display in HU mod. JBA shorty headers & Catback. K&N Filter. Smittybilt Nerf Steps. Smittybilt M1 Grille. Pro Comp stage II, 6" Lift. 12V Bed PWR. LED interior lighting
    So I call Toytec today because Im about to drop a lot of dough on them and the first question I ask is "do you ship to APO" ......."no we dont"

Now really....why, why , why is shipping to an APO so fricken hard for people. PKG the stuff up, fill out the stupid little customs slip, get a confirmation # and or request a signature for delivery and ship the shit! Its not that hard. Whats hard is the Hard working Military man wanting to get things shipped to him.

So now I either have to find another Co. that sells what Toytec has and shipps to APO or I have to pay double the shipping possibly even more than double by using ShipitAPO.com.

I cannot stress enough how much I hate living overseas!

No real offence to Toytec because they arent the only ones, but WOW....I guess they just happend to be the ones to light my fire today. :mad:

2. Apr 5, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    Sawick

Sawick Still not worthy!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    JB MDL, NJ
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport
    T4R TRD Pro Wheels, LED lights, Tonneau Cover, ICI running boards, AVS window/bug
    I was told once by god knows who.. Companies don't like to ship APO because once it hits the "Military Postal Service", the USPS can no longer "track it" or confirm if it has been delivered.
    However, like you said.. throw a damn signature required on the sucker and call it good enough!

3. Apr 5, 2011 at 6:06 PM
    AZBACKCOUNTRY

AZBACKCOUNTRY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    AZ-between the hammer and the anvil
    Vehicle:
    11' AC TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper,AVID off road weld on sliders, RCI Offroad IFS & transmission Skid (steel), RCI LCA skids (aluminum),upper grillcraft, relentless hi clearance bumper,OEM color matched front grill color, ARE MX camper shell, wet Okole realtree seat covers,pelfreybuilt hi lift mounts,ICON 2.5 Coil-overs extended,, ICON tubular UCA's. Allpro expo leafs, SS extended brake lines.Bilstein 110 extended rear shocks.prinsu Cabrac.dwreck pod mounts OKLED 18w cubes.Baja Designs Squadron-R Sport, LED Wide Cornering, Ambers fog/driving 20" IGGY LED Single Row bar.tepui awning,rotopax 2 gallon, TREDs and mount , 100 watt renogy solar panel.victron 20 amp Bluetooth charge controller,Pro comp wheels - cooper st maxx 285/75/16 tires. Skygear bussman fuse relay smart box. ARB 12v plug hard wired for ARB fridge. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid. Smittybilt X2O 10K winch
    I just sent some brand new billies to a guy , which I sold on EBAY. I done over 1000 transaction- never had negative feedback. I wanted him to get them at the APO. I haven't heard back , but I hope it worked out.

For me , I'm just a little aprehensive about sending them without tracking them, but I have faith they will arrive fine. I bet he'll be pleased to get bilistieins with 50 miles off a 2011 TX pro tacoma.

Az

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Apr 5, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    APO> Army Postal Office?

5. Apr 6, 2011 at 6:00 AM
    CCFBERG

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    LRAFB Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 SR5 DBL cab
    Kenwood 516 DD head unit, Kenwood 12" sub, Kenwood 1800W amp, Brighter reverse light mod, 2nd Air filter ripped out, Tailgate anti-theft. Fog light anytime. Rearview mirror display in HU mod. JBA shorty headers & Catback. K&N Filter. Smittybilt Nerf Steps. Smittybilt M1 Grille. Pro Comp stage II, 6" Lift. 12V Bed PWR. LED interior lighting
    Good question! Maybe.....Air Postal Office? hell Got me....to me it means Complete Pain in my Ass!

6. Apr 6, 2011 at 6:06 AM
    CCFBERG

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    LRAFB Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 SR5 DBL cab
    Have heard the same and thats not true. It is true that "tracking" stops at the APO in New York or San Fran but it doesnt really just stop.

They can and some do, get a tracking# for parcel to APO, and FPO address's its just that a lot of companies dont wanna deal with the little tiny extra bit it takes to do it. Signature cards, tracking#'s, insurance, overnight, express, ect ect is all still available too and from APO.

I X2 what you said also!!!!!!!:D

7. Apr 6, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    CCFBERG

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    LRAFB Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 SR5 DBL cab
    Im sure it will be ok! I was trippin out because my wheels and tires hadnt arrived in the 3-4 weeks Wheelsnext.com told me they would arrive in. I called them and they said "no its always 4-6 weeks" "no we dont have a tracking #" I was like....HUH....you sent $2500 worth of wheels and tires in the mail and didnt get a tracking # even for yourself....?WTH

But anyway they arrived just fine at the end of the 5th week so all is good!

And good on you for shipping stuff to people like me! THANKS!!!

To get my lift from Toytech its going to cost roughly $100 to ship it from them to my ShipitAPO.com address and then probably $130 to ship it to me from there. SO.....thats roughly $230 bucks wasted on shipping that could have went twords my Camburg or TC UCA's. Not real happy about this!!!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Apr 6, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    TacoIII

TacoIII Mr. Boombastic

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Albuqerque
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4 off road package
    3" OME 886 coils, ARB bumper warn M8000, Lightforce 240's and 255/85 16 KM2, Redline hood struts,arb twin air compressor, 4.88's, Tepui kukenam, Pelfreybilt bed rack and rear high clearance with swing out, and custom offroad bodywork
    i know it sucks some places will ship certain things and others wont shipp anything. its annoying

9. Apr 6, 2011 at 6:11 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    you said "matic". bwahahaah!

Dude. I bet my grandfathers inititials are scribbled all over that base somewhere. BEB. :)

10. Apr 6, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    CCFBERG

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    LRAFB Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 SR5 DBL cab
    X2

11. Apr 6, 2011 at 6:18 AM
    CCFBERG

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    LRAFB Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 SR5 DBL cab
    Ya I did:D

"BEB" Ill keep my eyes open.....funny thing is Ive probably already seen it several times and just didnt think anything about it. Watch....now, its gonna be everywhere like haunting me around every corner LOL

12. Apr 6, 2011 at 6:22 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    DOD sets the guidelines for overseas mail, military postal units handle it.
    APO is Army/Air Force Postal Operations.
    There is an extensive list of rules & regs (surprise!) that sellers in conjuction w/ shipping companies whether its USPS or other commercial handlers must follow.
    In your situation its frustrating & sellers either probably don't understand it or have been burned somehow. It is especially hard to track where foreign handlers are in place.
    Sorry yeah its a big machine .... just mail the damn package!
    Can you get a friend in the states to get your stuff and ship to you?

13. Apr 6, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    CCFBERG

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    LRAFB Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 SR5 DBL cab
    Thanks for the info! And ya I can.....mom and dad or brothers are an option but ......again still would pay twice the shipping (from toytec-mom&dad-then to my APO) However, in my search for a way around this APO problem I have again found very usefull info on this Forum. Although the lift is not adjustable or ICON, RCD has a 4.5" lift that may actualy better suit my needs and prevent me from trimming fenders and body mounts. You do have to chop the crossmember but from the looks of things its a clean/ no hacking hear and there cut. And .....its free shipping in the 48. So I would only pay once, get a little more inches for the money and....its actualy a few hundred cheeper.
    http://anyoffroadparts.com/i-2770976...-10-47405.html

but im still undecided:cool:

14. Apr 6, 2011 at 11:18 PM
    Jerry Bear

Jerry Bear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Mesquite, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    tint, topper, receiver hitch, trailer wiring, topper lighting, cruise control, intermittent wipers, backup camera, auto-dim mirror
    I run an internet business and I ship everywhere, including APO/FPO/DPO addresses, but I don't sell truck accessories right now.

Most internet sellers ship via UPS or FedEx only, not by USPS (United States Postal Service). Only USPS can deliver to an APO, FPO, or DPO address.

The number of customers who need USPS delivery is very small, so most internet sellers don't bother to set it up on their web sites.

Many internet sellers don't actually have the product in stock. When they receive an order, they place an order with their vendor (called a drop-shipper), and their vendor ships to the buyer. In my experience, less than 7% of drop-shippers will ship via USPS.

APO/FPO/DPO requires a customs form, which most internet sellers don't want to mess with.

USPS shipping is more expensive than UPS/FedEx for most packages weighing more than a few pounds.

As mentioned, every APO/FPO/DPO zip code has a different set of special rules that must be followed in shipping to it.

Sometimes, it take a long time for a package to an APO/FPO/DPO address to reach its destination. In the meantime, the buyer gets nervous and starts complaining to the seller, and/or PayPal and/or their credit card issuer. I've had properly addressed APO packages take months to arrive.

APO: Army Post Office. Land based military addresses
    FPO: Fleet Post Office. Water based military addresses (i.e. ships)
    DPO: Diplomatic Post Office. US embassy addresses

15. Apr 6, 2011 at 11:33 PM
    woody6047

woody6047 McGrubber

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Austin/ Waco Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma 4x4 dc
    100%stock, except for the exhaust leak and custom windshield crack mod
    X2 thats why, they cant track it once it hits MPS

16. Apr 7, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    Thanks for clarifying

17. Apr 7, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    CCFBERG

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    LRAFB Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 SR5 DBL cab
    X2!!

Products Discussed in

To Top