LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Military

Notices

Jobs in the Navy??

Old 04-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
BASS FISHING
1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future

Name: Wade
1990wade's Tacoma Gallery
Jobs in the Navy??

Well i go to MEPS monday, and i wanted to know what are some good jobs in the navy..based on my test scores i scored highest in the mechanical area.If anyone could help me with this i would appreciate it
Old 04-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
What do like to do... navy has everything
Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
BASS FISHING
1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future1990wade has a brilliant future

What are some good jobs in the mechanical area
Old 04-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Francis is on a distinguished road

Navy: VFA-151
Name: Frankie
Francis's Tacoma Gallery
One thing to keep in mind is the current manning of that rate. For example, if you pick a rate that is over-manned, you will have a very difficult time advancing. Im currently in the aviation community as an AE3, and i love the work. Its very mechanical and the troubleshooting of the aircraft is really fun. A lot of my coworkers are ADs which are pretty much engine mechanics and fuel cell techs, but that is the hardest aviation rate to advance in. Like i said, make sure you check the manning. I would suggest the aviation community due to the fact that you are not stationed on a ship, which is GREAT. If you dont like that, try to go seabee. I wouldnt even bother with any other rate outside of those communities because you would spend your entire first enlistment on ships. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Taco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Taco Gunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
What do like to do... navy has everything
How about tanks?
Old 04-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
Like i said, make sure you check the manning. I would suggest the aviation community due to the fact that you are not stationed on a ship, which is GREAT.
I agree to check the manning of the different rates. But just because ur in aviation doesn't exempt you from being stationed on a ship. The navy has like 11 aircraft carriers and many other ships with helicopters and planes onboard that need aviation mechanics. Seabees would be good to but u'll probably get sent overseas alot. Seabees do alot of construction overseas.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #8

Navy: Airframer->Construction Mech
Name: Wes
BadBrains's Tacoma Gallery
The Navy in general is over-manned. Heard it said the other day, something to the effect of, "The Navy is 103% over-manned. Don't be one of those 3% that need to go."

Recruiting is definitely on trickle charge now.

Choose what you want to do, but in the end, advancement is up to you. Take charge of your career, don't set the cruise control once you're in.

I was an AM2 and am now a CM2. Both have their pros and cons, but for me, the Seabees is where it's at.

In the end you want to be proud of your time in service, do what you want.

http://www.navy.com/careers.html

I was going to list out some "mechanical" jobs from memory but that link has it all broken down barney style. It'd be better if you found something there,
then came back with a question about that particular rating. More than likely we have a member here in that community.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
Taco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Gunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Taco Gunner's Tacoma Gallery
I have an uncle who was a Seabee in Vietnam...he has some great stories and is extremely proud of his service (as he should be) and more so of his association with the Seabees!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
BASS FISHING

Im sitting here at the hotel now, i go for my physical tomorrow..Any tips??
Old 04-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
smileyfish is on a distinguished road
Name: mark
smileyfish's Tacoma Gallery
what ever you decide take the schooling seriously, i didn't and ended up flunking out. was asked what coast and what type of ship. went to a ship as a seaman and chpied paint. ended up getting out as a bm2 but not what i went in for.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
Ez2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud of

Navy: Aviation Structural Mechanic (Structures and Hydraulics) VFA-25
Ez2typethis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990wade View Post
Well i go to MEPS monday, and i wanted to know what are some good jobs in the navy..based on my test scores i scored highest in the mechanical area.If anyone could help me with this i would appreciate it
Aviation structural mechanic... AM

Don't pick a job where you'll be stationed on a ship...

That's what i did, got my A&P license 2 weeks after i got out and have been fixing helicopters since... Makin the skrilla to fund the taco projects!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #13
espdtrd11
espdtrd08 has a spectacular aura aboutespdtrd08 has a spectacular aura about

espdtrd08's Tacoma Gallery
AIRCREW all the way. I have been an Aircrewman for 9 years now and love it. I do a lot of recon missions, search and rescue, hunt submarines etc.... You will not be a mechanic although you can be a flight engineer. Naval Aircrewman Operator is the way to go though, with the manning deal. It is the only rate that is still needed. We are also getting a new aircraft called the P-8A. Currently we fly in a P-3 orion. Good money when overseas cause we get perdiem, and oh we sleep in hotels if we are not in the middle east and fly. No boat for this guy!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
jeff b has a spectacular aura aboutjeff b has a spectacular aura aboutjeff b has a spectacular aura about

Navy: BM3 1st Div.
Name: Jeff
jeff b's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is the current manning of that rate. For example, if you pick a rate that is over-manned, you will have a very difficult time advancing. Im currently in the aviation community as an AE3, and i love the work. Its very mechanical and the troubleshooting of the aircraft is really fun. A lot of my coworkers are ADs which are pretty much engine mechanics and fuel cell techs, but that is the hardest aviation rate to advance in. Like i said, make sure you check the manning. I would suggest the aviation community due to the fact that you are not stationed on a ship, which is GREAT. If you dont like that, try to go seabee. I wouldnt even bother with any other rate outside of those communities because you would spend your entire first enlistment on ships. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
If you don't like ships why join the Navy? I turned 18 in Subic Bay and saw most of the planet before I turned 20. We all serve for different reasons mine was travel. Choose your rate choose your fate....good luck
Old 04-19-2011, 11:56 PM   #15
Ez2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud of

Navy: Aviation Structural Mechanic (Structures and Hydraulics) VFA-25
Ez2typethis's Tacoma Gallery
You definitely want to stay on the aviation side of the navy, no matter what job you do.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #16
BASS FISHING

Well i SIGNED up today for 5 years around 4:30 i believe...Very proud of myself i must say lol, i leave on Aug/8/2011!! The job they had for me was Aviation Ordnanceman (AO)..Any info about this job
Old 04-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #17
Francis is on a distinguished road

Navy: VFA-151
Name: Frankie
Francis's Tacoma Gallery
First of all, congratulations! AO is a good rate. Ao's take a lot of pride in their job. Depending on what your detailer decides, you could become a member of a squadron and work directly with the respective aircraft of that squadron be it hornets, helos or otherwise. Squadron ao's are responsible for the safe handling and loading of all ordinance involved with the aircraft. You may also get attached to a carrier or other smaller aviation capable ships. Ship aos handle all of the ordinance before it gets to the aircraft, usually working in the magazine building the ordinance.

Hope you like the color red.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:39 AM   #18
396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed396tears is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BMC  -  Retired USNR
396tears's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990wade View Post
Well i SIGNED up today for 5 years around 4:30 i believe...Very proud of myself i must say lol, i leave on Aug/8/2011!! The job they had for me was Aviation Ordnanceman (AO)..Any info about this job
sure seems to me you should have done some research son
from your post it sounds like you don't know anything about the rate you signed up for or what the Navy is all about

when i joined the Navy the motto was

Join the Navy and See the World
only thing was

3/4 of the world is covered by water

I saw my share of salt water

good luck and fair sailing
Old 04-21-2011, 05:04 AM   #19
Pay it Forward
Graham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant future

Graham's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyfish View Post
what ever you decide take the schooling seriously, i didn't and ended up flunking out. was asked what coast and what type of ship. went to a ship as a seaman and chpied paint. ended up getting out as a bm2 but not what i went in for.

x2 Don't roll with any classmates who are jacking around. Take it seriously and study so you can advance and learn a skill that will serve your future well.

Good Luck!!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #20
BASS FISHING

Quote:
First of all, congratulations! AO is a good rate. Ao's take a lot of pride in their job. Depending on what your detailer decides, you could become a member of a squadron and work directly with the respective aircraft of that squadron be it hornets, helos or otherwise. Squadron ao's are responsible for the safe handling and loading of all ordinance involved with the aircraft. You may also get attached to a carrier or other smaller aviation capable ships. Ship aos handle all of the ordinance before it gets to the aircraft, usually working in the magazine building the ordinance.

Hope you like the color red.
Why the color red??